Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
They had an extra month to make a lot of phones.

Regardless of how many. They usually could never make enough for pre orders. Why shipping times slip. The X launched what a month or 2 after the first. They still didn’t make enough for opening weekend.

I really think it’s because they put the lowest model in the portfolio last. Last year the 8/8+ went first and X later. Now they did the XS first. The X outsold the 8/8+ When all said and done.
[doublepost=1540046320][/doublepost]
In the UK all colours except white have slipped back in 64GB and the yellow has also slipped back in 128GB on Apple’s website.

Well I guess all you UK peeps are just cheap skates!o_O:D
[doublepost=1540048671][/doublepost]
Sales are weak? That's hilarious. Get back to me by December and we can address this again.

Sales has declined since 2014 6/6+ Year over year. After the 6/6+, iPhones were in so many peoples hands that new sales dropped (first time iPhone owners or switching from droid) so it was just left to upgrades which people just aren’t doing as much anymore compared to 6/6+. Whatever happens with the XR, Apple does count a “sale” if ATT, bestbuy etc gets them. So millions could be sitting in a ATT, bestbuy warehouse and still counted torwards Apple sales number.

Squeak825

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2007
Sales has declined since 2014 6/6+ Year over year.

That is not true. There was a super spike in 2015, but 2017 was greater than 2016 and 2016 was greater than 2014.

global-apple-iphone-sales-since-fiscal-year-2007.jpg

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
I am thinking Apple is fully aware that sales would be declining and that’s why we ended up with those redic prices in the first place. They gotta make it up somehow to please their shareholders

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
I am sure there will be plenty of stock of IPhone XR for customers.
It’s a good phone at a good price.

I still prefer OLED screens. It’s the future.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I thought microLED was the future.

It is. And it’s already been rumored that Apple has been experimenting with Micro-LEd for quite some time, they purchased a company back in 2014 known as Luxeview (Small term Micro Led company). But the real question is not that Micro- LED won’t be the future, but _when_ will we actually see this technology, which I’m willing to believe it will be around 2021.

Reactions: PeteS1963

karmatourer

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
In my house
Sales has declined since 2014 6/6+ Year over year. After the 6/6+, iPhones were in so many peoples hands that new sales dropped (first time iPhone owners or switching from droid) so it was just left to upgrades which people just aren’t doing as much anymore compared to 6/6+. Whatever happens with the XR, Apple does count a “sale” if ATT, bestbuy etc gets them. So millions could be sitting in a ATT, bestbuy warehouse and still counted torwards Apple sales number.[/QUOTE]
Yes,exactly as they should be counted.

TrickyTreeRed

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2017
Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
For funsies I checked out the Apple website this afternoon for availability in Canada and at my nearest Apple store (Surrey BC). Every single colour and configuration is available for October 26 delivery or pick up in store.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Since the XR is more likely to be popular with standard consumers I feel like it will see steady sales over the holiday season and into the new year versus the initial surge of sales that tend to happen with the “latest and greatest model” (this year that’s the XS Max). I don’t think Apple is doomed :D

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Seth Matthews

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015
The Ether
Didn’t we have lots of reports like this last year about the X and they were proved wrong.

I don't know...did we?
[doublepost=1541609551][/doublepost]I think the XR will sell fine, but I had posted that it wouldn't outsell the XS Max and people kept posting that I was wrong, etc, etc. Looks like I was right.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I don't know...did we?
[doublepost=1541609551][/doublepost]I think the XR will sell fine, but I had posted that it wouldn't outsell the XS Max and people kept posting that I was wrong, etc, etc. Looks like I was right.
I think Apple really needed the XR to be the most popular as the XS isn’t exactly a widely popular device due to its high cost. If you’re right, then Apple need to increase costs further to fill the holes.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I think the XR will sell fine, but I had posted that it wouldn't outsell the XS Max and people kept posting that I was wrong, etc, etc. Looks like I was right.

How could you be right if everything so far points to you being wrong?

Even pessimistic estimates put the XR ahead of the Max.

Historically, 4.7" and 5.5" model sales have been split 60/40. Even if that trend reversed, the Max is still projected to sell significantly fewer units than XR.

pcorrado

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2008
Chicago, IL
How could you be right if everything so far points to you being wrong?

Even pessimistic estimates put the XR ahead of the Max.

Historically, 4.7" and 5.5" model sales have been split 60/40. Even if that trend reversed, the Max is still projected to sell significantly fewer units than XR.

I think the XR is a long game for Apple. I don't know if Apple had the goal of capturing day one demand or instead is focusing on the market of the users that normally upgraded throughout the year.

Reactions: DaveyVigs

Seth Matthews

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015
The Ether

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I’m not invested either. At this point in time no sales data is even released nor will it be as Apple has decided not to publish it from now on. Read into that what you will but to me that suggests a company that beats about success in the past would naturally continue to do so if it’s impressive enough. You claimed to be ‘right’ but in truth none of us know if you are or not.

I think they will continue to drop numbers at the various New Product presentations. It will be general, but will reinforce what many predict one way or the other. The other thing is that Apple is always penalized by these investment companies that make these predictions and this takes away the fodder for them. I said a long time ago Apple should have quit releasing numbers. They should do like most companies and just release the financial data and it doesn't have to include specific sales numbers.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I think they will continue to drop numbers at the various New Product presentations. It will be general, but will reinforce what many predict one way or the other. The other thing is that Apple is always penalized by these investment companies that make these predictions and this takes away the fodder for them. I said a long time ago Apple should have quit releasing numbers. They should do like most companies and just release the financial data and it doesn't have to include specific sales numbers.
For a company that has long liked to brag about specifics, to me it is a sign of the times. I think all manufacturers have been trying to cover up the fact the market has been slowing for some time. Rising prices and releasing just the financial data cover up a lot in terms of outreach.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
For a company that has long liked to brag about specifics, to me it is a sign of the times. I think all manufacturers have been trying to cover up the fact the market has been slowing for some time. Rising prices and releasing just the financial data cover up a lot in terms of outreach.

Oh there is no doubt there is market saturation at this point and with the various priced phones, the flagships just aren't pulling upgrades as they once did. This is evident by the minimal lines and in some cases lack of lines for these new flagship phones. Some have tried to explain it that Cook finally has matched production with demand, but I don't believe that. What I do believe is that Apple will sell a ton of iPhones and the current price structure will allow them to continue with the same level of profit. However, they are pretty much as their limits on pricing and thus the Xr this year. Not to mention when has Apple had so many models (Jobs would have never done it this way), but Cook keeps these older models around because that is how they compete with the Android phones lower pricing. Again I think these investor groups often short change Apple because of numbers and that will no longer be on the table. Not that they won't play the guessing game, but now that is all it will be and the only thing Apple will give them is a real earnings report and they can try to figure it out from there which they likely will do. I think Samsung is another brand that has reached market saturation as indicated by the lackluster Galaxy 9 line and Note 9 sales at least according the investor reports. People are just not upgrading every year because it's not necessary as Apple has been providing upgrades to the OS going back 4 or 5 years. Also none of these other phone companies release numbers and so I don't think Apple should either. They have because they used it as a form of bragging, but it no longer serves their narrative.

Last edited:
Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

karmatourer

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
In my house
Oh there is not doubt there is market saturation at this point and with the various priced phones, the flagships just aren't pulling upgrades as they once did. They is evident by the minimal lines and in some cases lack of lines for these new flagship phones. Some have tried to explain it that Cook finally has matched production with demand, but I don't believe that. What I do believe is that Apple will sell a ton of iPhones and the current price structure will allow them to continue with the same level of profit. However, they are pretty much as their limits on pricing and thus the Xr this year. Not to mention when has Apple had so many models (Jobs would have never done it this way), but Cook keeps these older models around because that is how the compete with the Android phones. Again I think these investor groups often short change Apple because of numbers and that will no longer be on the table. Not that they won't playing the guessing game, but now that is all it will be and the only thing Apple will give them is a real earnings report and they can try to figure it out from there which they likely will do. I think Samsung is another brand that has reached market saturation as indicated by the lackluster Galaxy 9 line and Note 9. People are just not upgrading every year because it's not necessary as Apple has been providing upgrades to the OS going back 4 or 5 years.
In addition to the cost rising.Some folks aren't upgrading every year as before because of it. They are just drawing a line and saying enough is enough.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
A number of posts were removed due to bickering. Please stay on topic

Rules for Appropriate Debate

Respect
Guidelines: Show respect for your fellow posters. Expect and accept that other users may have strongly held opinions that differ from yours.

Rules:

1. Name-calling. Name-calling falls into the category of insults and will be treated as such according to the forum rules, your own opinion about another member notwithstanding. You can't call a bigot a bigot, a troll a troll, or a fanboy a fanboy, any more than you can call an idiot an idiot. You can disagree with the content of another member's statement or give your evidence or opinion to dispute their claims, but you may not make a negative personal characterization about that member.
  2. Insults. Slurs and insults against groups of people based on negative-stereotyping and obvious generalizations fall into the category of trolling and will be treated as such.
  3. Taunting. Mocking or taunting another forum member is not acceptable. Posts that ridicule another member or obviously exaggerate or misstate their views may be removed.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.