Still no widgets!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Simacca, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

I thought iOS 5 would have incorporated widgets. Bit of a let down really. I like the widgets on Android. Luckily I have both ;-)

2. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

Yeah I know..but I think apple wants to keep the battery life as good as possible :) it's ok for me as long as we got better notification and the lockscreen info ect..

3. Simacca thread starter macrumors 6502a

Simacca

I understand about the battery life, but would be nice to be given the option.

iCloud looks good though.

4. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

I think widgets would ruin the sleek look of iOS.

5. edk99 macrumors 6502a

6. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I am fine with no widgets. I think the info that will be displayed on the lock screen is a great feature and that was what I was really looking for.

7. sdmcwilliams macrumors member

sdmcwilliams

8. Eso, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

I'm disappointed that the springboard hasn't been updated at all. This UI was designed in 2007 without support for some of the major elements of the OS that have been added. They just keep awkwardly splicing UI elements in and it's getting a bit crowded.

9. kramjam macrumors 6502

kramjam

Kind of a bummer, but perhaps more features to look forward to in fall with release of new iPhone/iPods

10. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

Huge disappointment for me as well. One more reasons I'll be waiting for the JB before upgrading.

I love LiveClock and WeatherIcon as well as full blown widgets like the HTC clock on my lockscreen with animated weather.

11. aohus macrumors 68000

really? i use scrollable widgets on my android Droid X ALL the time. barely any hit on battery life neither.

heres a screenshot for my twitter feed. again, its scrollable, and i can customize how often it updates. Open Source = Win. Controlled curated OS = fail. Steve Jobs got you all by the balls.

[​IMG]

12. tritonj macrumors 6502a

exactly, the UI is due for an update, at the very least the iPad should have a few extras to make better use of the extra space

13. Jcoz macrumors 6502

LOL...thats why Google is taking tips from Apple now on control of the OS, right? What a completely laughable comment after their recent actions. I mean being able to install whatever you want on your phone is a plus for people most of the time, but you trying to prove that by saying Open source =WIN referencing google just sounds stupid,

And BTW, it's exceptionally ridiculous for an Android honk to be trolling in an iphone forum, no two buts about it. Find a better use of your time bro.

I like that widget its nice, and Apple has played some catchup in some regards this update. Good features for each.

But the reality is that a lot of the "wins" for Android vs iOS comparisons just got put to bed, or will this fall.

14. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Widgets are not in iOS's DNA. It hasn't even looked/worked well outside Android.

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Uh, what makes that full screen twitter "widget" any different from my full-screen twitter app?

16. nfl46 macrumors 603

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It could be a special feature for the new iPhone. Since the hardware will be updated on the new phone, it will only work on it.

Not a fan of widgets though.

17. aohus macrumors 68000

uh, its on my homescreen buddy. i don't need to tap on the twitter app everytime i want to check it out. so i don't have to manually tap the twitter icon app every time i want to see my twitter feed. essentially, my twitter feed widget is on my homescreen where your grid of icons are.

18. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Because he can do that without actually opening the app. Isn't that just amazing? So instead of spending an extra second pressing the app, he can just see everything right off the homescreen.

Meh...

And iOS 5 does SORTA have widgets. You can see stocks and weather through the notification bar. (Not sure what else... Just saw those two from Apple's website)

19. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ok, so I have to tap once to see Twitter and you, instead, have to tap once whenever you want to see anything else on your phone.

Seems to me like you're doing more tapping than I am.

I still don't get it.

21. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

For sports score apps having a widget is great. With the ESPN Scorecenter widget I can check the scores of all my favorite teams faster than it takes to just open the ESPN app on an iPhone and let it load. Same goes for MLB At Bat. Widgets are useful for some and worthless to others but I think enough people care about having that functionality that Apple should incorporate it into iOS.

22. aohus macrumors 68000

you're not getting it. you're the one thats having to swipe through your pages of icons to find your twitter app, tap on it, wait for it to load, and see what your twitter feeds are up to.

what i'm doing: i swipe once to the left.

looks like you're doing more work to get to your twitter app than me.

23. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I'm glad that widgets were omitted since I was not interested in them at all. If I wanted widgets, I would go with an Andriod phone.

24. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

That's true. I normally have notifications set to notifiy me when a score changes, period ends, end of game.. Things like that. I'm using the yahoo sports app. It's pretty good.

25. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

he might have twitter on his first page? :/
    and the twitter client should pretty much load instantly, no offense.

oh, another thing.
    [​IMG]

doesn't that ESPN app with it's notifications pretty much ... serve as a lockscreenwidget aswell? kind of? ... it's the latest scores ... on your lockscreen :/