Still not there yet apple

Discussion in 'iPad' started by flyguy206, Nov 23, 2010.

1. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

I love my iPad but apple is just not getting it right. They are trying to keep us stuck to iTunes and that is silly. Why can't we delete music from our iPad why can't we make albums on our iPad for photos why can't we edit our photos even if it just simple editing, why can't we download from safari. Also apple has not supported the iPad like they should have. I have been very disappointed in the way they support the iPad. It should have not taken 6 months for this update not from a company that has the money and resources that apple has.

2. spinnerlys, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2010

spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

There is always www.apple.com/feedback. And Apple took their time to deliver a stable product, even if it doesn't seem that way for every user. Programming takes time and just more manpower won't cut it.

3. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

You can edit photos on your Ipad. I do it all the time. Filterstorm is kind of Photoshop for the Ipad. Why do they have to provide a photo editing app that will only do a small portion of things that specialized developers will come along and make great apps to do in much better ways? If the Ipad had Iphoto, I would never use it - it's powers are minimal at best.

Why do you need to delete music from your Ipad? I've been hearing/reading this complaint for years about Ipods and now here we go about the Ipad. No one can really answer me why this is such a problem.

As for downloading from Safari ... why? What are you downloading? Am I the only person that has grasped what the Ipad is for? Why would you want to tie up its wifi with a download of a large file? I really don't get this. You CAN download, you just need Goodreader, then put "g" in front of the address to download whatever it is. I just don't get WHY. Use your computer for that.

As for supporting the Ipad, it seems to me that's all Apple has been doing, at the expense of everything else. Have you seen the complaints from the Mac side of the forums about how everything is iOS-this and iOS-that from Jobs and Apple? iOS 4.2 is pretty much ALL about the Ipad.

4. MsMerryMac macrumors regular

Stuck to iTunes? Gasp! It still behooves me that some consumers believe that the iPad should function as a full laptop. Yes, the firmware update was a bit slow in coming, but it WORKS and is available now so, eh.

As for Apple not being "their yet"....Agree with the corrections by the previous posters. Bad spelling and grammar leaves me far less likely to take whining in posts far less seriously.

5. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

Hmm, seems to me that you "aren't getting it right". Why do you buy something if you don't know what it's about? While I agree that 4.2 took too long (it's running on the same fricking hardware as iPhone guys), the iPad is not going to become a laptop. Why would they cannibalize their own laptop line by making the iPad self sufficient and not needing iTunes? They are not interested in that. Apple wants to give you a reason to own an iPad, an iPhone, a MacBook, an iMac, an apple TV, etc.

6. cas85 macrumors regular

holy crap you are tough to please. this is the first generation of a new niche product in terms of personal computing. cut them some slack. if you have so many great ideas why don't you become an apple engineer and wow us with some amazing product? thanks in advance for your work.

7. dgree03 macrumors 65816

dgree03

As for the music management and photo management part, why should I have to do it all on the the computer first them sync?

Ever heard of 2 way syncing? I should be able to creat a playlist on my ipad, or delete a song out of a playlist or library and have that change reflected on my computer when I connect. Same with photos.

The idea is to get this "mobile" device off the teet of the computer. It is after all billed as a "netbook alternative."

I would only care about downloading, if I had access to the file system, since I dont, download would hold any importance to me.

8. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Whilst I agree about giving Apple some slack.

After all, it is a 1st gen product.

The key thing really I feel is what Apple see for the iPad's future.

I've mentioned this before at various times. But I do hope they either in time change the iPad, or perhaps bring out an alternate version of a tablet.

What for you may ask?

Well, at the moment, all the iPad really is, is a temporary games/application device, which is still tied to mother (iTunes and a Computer for docking/syncing)

It's not it's own independent device.

This is fine at the moment.

It's like a put things on it so you can move around with some of your data and do a limited amount of things.

But at the end of the day your computer is still Home, and still where the iPAd has to come back to.

I guess like a child in a funny way.

The question is, Do Apple want to see the iPad grow up into an Adult over time, or do they always see it as a child to your "real" computer.

I can understand this is what a large number of people want to happen.

Perhaps some don't want this and will only ever it to be as it is now. But I'm guessing we would all like SOME more independence?

Perhaps when the iad has say 128 or 256GB of storage and enough power to run a full iTunes, THEN it can grow into it's own device.

Again, at the moment, it's great. But, I can see, in time people wanting more.

We shall just have to wait and see.

9. Stirolak123, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2010

Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

One thing that needs to change is the ability to send mail attachments and multiple ones in one email like you can on every other non cell phone device. Also, the ability to explore files and folders and drag and drop photos on imageshack dating sites, etc. Wthout having to wait for the website founders to create an app.

I'd also like to be able to delete apps or games but keep the settings and save game files.

But it should be a lot closer to the mac book air and it's abilities and functions than the iPhone 4 IMO, and it's apps should consist of iPhone apps converted 2x.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You can't make or edit photo albums on the iPad, and I agree that would be a nice feature to have. You *can* make additional playlists on an iPad, and add and delete songs from the playlists, as long as the playlist you are trying to modify isn't a smart playlist. Look for "+" and "edit" buttons next time you are in the iPad's iPod app.

11. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

My only niggle is that Skype still hasn't produced an iPad specific app (like they said they would back in April) so that I could comfortably use the messaging function. I'm guessing it's because the folks at Skype are incompetent or arrogant dicks.

So technically my issue is with a third party. Which means that I am happy with my iPad.

12. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

cant you do all these things on a jailbroken ipad?

13. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Hum, you can. In a playlist just click the edit button on the top right corner.

14. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Whether you have your problems with the OP's grammar or not, these are valid ideas. One can easily delete items from the iPhone iPod app. Why not on the iPad? It would also be reasonable to expect apple to allow for some degree of managing photos. Likewise, it would be nice if user files were accessible like a networked drive. Maybe these sorts of things don't matter to you, but there is nothing wrong with offering ideas.

15. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

You can. On the iPad when viewing a playlist just click the edit button.

16. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

If I had a company that made millions of dollars I sure as hell would be making an app for a potential 6 million (and growing) customers. Especially if that company was in the business of creating software, which would mean that one could safely assume that I would have a staff of competent programmers who could in theory whip said app out in a relatively timely manner.

And as a consumer I have the right to be angry when a company says "You can expect to hear more from us about an iPad app in the coming months as we now have our hands on actual iPads and can start tuning and testing." at the beginning of April, only to then follow it up with "Thanks for all of your comments – we don’t have any additional information to share at the moment, but rest assured that when we do, it’ll be on this blog." when asked as to what is happening in November on their own blog.

17. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

They are not even close! What is WORST is that they know what we want and it would be easy to fix but they refuse to do it.

The iPad is still only useful for casual entertainment at best:(

18. AndyfromTucson macrumors member

My view is that Apple is not marketing the iPad to the type of people who frequent MacRumors Forums, so it is to be expected that some of us are disappointed by its limitations in functionality.

I believe the main target market for the iPad is that friend or family member you know who still doesn't really understand files and folders on their PC despite using a computer daily for 15 years. You know, the person who comes to you saying "I downloaded that file but now I can't find it, where did it go?" This is a massive market (easily 10 to 20 times larger than the technically sophisticated market). I don't think we will ever see Apple adding core features to the iPad that could result in your grandmother coming to you asking for help.

I think for MacRumors Forum participants the iPad will always be an ancillary device to our real computer. Apple doesn't want the iPad to be able to replace a real computer because then its target market would, once again, be struggling and frustrated with a device that takes relatively advanced skills to operate properly.

19. macwheels macrumors regular

Ahhhhh... someone in this thread who really does "get it"! :)

YES --- I too have been *w a i t i n g* since I bought my iPad in April 2010 to have the ability to create and edit Photo albums ON THE IPAD... without having to download third-party software for this very simple function, that should be part of Apple's own Photos application. I have not bothered to upgrade my iPad to iOS 4.2.1 since I don't really need folders, am not sure multitasking is going to help me all that much, and would really rather keep my screen-orientation lock hardware switch as a screen-rotation lock (instead of a mute button) -- um.. thanks......:(....
    Am grateful for those who have upgraded and are able to report that there is STILL no ability to create and edit photo albums within Apple's iPad Photos app. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :eek:

uh... now that I've at least had a chance to vent my disappointment -- what can we DO about this? - Maybe start a poll to find out how many people here want this functionality, and then send feedback to Apple saying that we know of at least 3,265 iPad users who are requesting it???............
    macwheels

20. macwheels macrumors regular

This is not a great excuse for lacking ability to create photo albums on the iPad, without the need to sync with a computer to do so. In fact, the whole sync process simply adds more complexity -- in order to accomplish something that would be much easier done on the iPad itself by the millions of "Average Joe" users whom you speak of.

macwheels

21. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I'd like to add my vote to lets add in some basic simple features.

The very 1st day I got my iPad I was trying to work out how you could make new folders and drag pics into the appropriate folder before I was told it can't be done.

It was just logical that such a basic function was there.

Before then it never even occurred to me that such a basic fundamental operation (Organise photo's) would not be possible on the device.

I'm hoping all the build in apps will have such basic functions added on the next iPad.

Not rocket science, not hover boots, not the moon on a stick. Just the natural things you'd expect to be able to do.

(set your default browser also) ;)

22. macwheels, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010

macwheels macrumors regular

Yah, thanks Piggie -- good to know you're out there (and I enjoy your incidentally sensible sense of humor... indeed it's NOT "hover boots"! lol)

-And anyway, since the iPad is *so magical*, why can't we organize photos on it AND have hover boots too! :eek:

...uh, "please," Uncle Steve??
    (ah sheesh, isn't that galling!......)

- --Ah, I just got it--- maybe the person to whom we should address our entreaties ISN'T actually Steve Jobs:
    maybe it's really

WILLY WONKA !!!

(or, hmmmmm, maybe the Wizard of Oz? ya know, the little guy who was hiding behind the curtain..... ;-)

macwheels

23. dgree03 macrumors 65816

dgree03

oh snaps! I didnt know about the playlist part! Ill try it out.

the Photo gallery should have similar functionality then.

24. eye macrumors 6502a

eye

I can do all of these things, except delete music. I just downloaded some apps. Give it a try. And they said they'd release 4.1 in November. So, they were right on time. Next rant...

25. macwheels macrumors regular

Care to tell us which app you use to create & edit photo albums on your iPad?
    I didn't like the only app I have so far seen that enables this, in fact I've even forgotten what the name of the app was -- as I recall, it created a whole separate archive to deal with :eek:
    I would prefer to have this functionality within Apple's Photos app, since the "Camera Roll" is the primary place where photos accumulate...until I get around to sitting down with a computer and going through the whole syncing-with-iPhoto process ---- rather time consuming & redundant for what is supposed to be a mobile device!

Macwheels