still prefer the 360 over the ps3?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by dukebound85, Oct 3, 2008.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i tried searching with mroogle and nothing but old threads from 06 popped up in the old archives section

is the ps3 a better buy these days over the 360? im in the mindset of getting one or the other and wanted some opinions

2. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

1. WipEout HD rocks
    2. I never give money to Microsoft
    3. That is all

3. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

4. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

The 360 is a very good console, but i have, and always will prefer The PS3, its much more than a Games Console, and thats what makes it perfect for me.

5. evan g macrumors regular

Yep the PS3 is a lot more reliable these days, and you get free online which is a big plus for me lol.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I like the 360 more right now, just got more games in more genres at the moment.

7. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

i know my brother has a 360 and has had to get 6 of them since they all died on him

is that still an issue?

8. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

No now days the 360 asks for a monthly extortion fee, or else it will burst into FLAMES!!! :eek:

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Today, I'd still give it to the Xbox 360, but the PS3 has gained some ground, and I'd say with the end of this year, the PS3 could pass it.

R:FoM 2, Little Big Planet, Motorstorm 2 all look AMAZING! 360 is getting GeoW 2 which looks good. Left 4 Dead look top notch too. But I'm leaning to the PS3's upcoming games.

10. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

i play the 360 80% of the time, but it's because it has more games that i like to play. i actually prefer playing games on the ps3, but the games i like are not supported.

free online is a plus with the ps3 and bluray player is a big bonus.

11. t19880821 macrumors regular

i like playing games online. that's why i'll stick with 360. psn feels like i'm playing against bots. but hey, if you like quiet gaming with no trash talking, as well as no communication, then the ps3 is for you.

12. evan g macrumors regular

yeah i would totally get an Xbox 360 (waiting on a paycheck or two) if it didn't DIE every two seconds. i mean thats probably the only thing that warranties are good for lol.

but i'm still deciding to figure out if im white enough to own both consoles instead of participating in the stupid console wars lol.

13. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

because only white people are part of console wars? :confused:

14. evan g macrumors regular

sorry that was just a yahtzee; zero punctuation quote lol.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea... It didn't work :(

And they don't break now? I don't have one of the new chipset systems but they've supposedly fixed the RRoD now. Even our replacement last year seems to be running perfect now.

16. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I still prefer the 360.

While the ps3 interface seems somewhat more polished, I still find myself preferring the 360 for online capability and just general game play.

For example, I find Soul Calibur 4 much more playable on the 360 as opposed to the ps3, and that's coming from someone who's only ever played it on the ps2 up until now.

The squishy trigger buttons on the ps3 controller don't appeal to me either, but that's a niggle.

Give it till this time next year, and the ps3 could well pass the 360.

17. calintz macrumors member

without buying an arcade stick, i'd still rate the PS3 controller better than the 360 for fighting games

and without keyboard/mouse, i'd rate the the 360 controller better than the PS3 for FPS games

it really matters what "exclusive" games you want, but other than that, the communities for both consoles are pretty good atm, and multiplatform games have reached a point were they are both well made (unlike the fiasco of last year's orange box)

18. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

well i read the new 80 gig modeal (the only ones out now i guess) are not backwards compatible and only have 2 usb slots

not a big deal as i dont have any ps2 games

Pros of PS3:

1) seems to better quality built
    2) alot of the same games as the 360
    3) can upgrade the hd on my own with any sata one
    4) built in wireless (360 costs 100)
    5) blu-ray
    6) Free online
    7) I feel its the more capable machine over the long run
    8) Slot-loading
    9) Can install linux if i choose to lol
    10) ive heard its much quieter than the 360 (which is very loud imo)
    11) would be a completely new console for me which is fun to experience

Cons of PS3
    1) new models have been degraded feature wise (no memory card slots or 4 usb)
    2) not as great of a controler imo
    3) more expenisve (but comes with more feature than the 360)
    4) not as many titles out
    5) most games are ports from the 360 (is this trend changing?)

Pros of 360:

1) I prefer the controller somewhat
    2) Have a decent library already since Ive bought games for my bros 360
    3) Has a great library on market
    4) Good online experience that is relatively cheap
    5) has alot of games i like, but none really exclusive to the 360
    6) 100 cheaper (for 60gig version.....but doesnt come with wireless which is 100)
    7) somewhat decent backwards compatibility (with popular xbox games)

Cons of 360

1) Online is not free (but cheap)
    2) quality issues ( a big concern for me as my bro has returned 6 of them due to rod since launch)
    3) I already have one sorta through my brother so its not going to feel like a new toy in a sense lol
    4) wifi doesnt come built in
    4) no hd movie option (will this change with a blu-ray add on?)
    5) not as powerful potentially as ps3 (is this a correct assumption) and this may show as the consoles age

is that a fair list you think?

19. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

^

I doubt MS will ever put out a Blu-ray player for the 360. It's kinda late in it's life cycle, but since you do live in the good ol' US of A, you can download "HD" movies off XBL though their quality is not as purdy as HD-DVD/Blu-ray.

20. cam3ron macrumors newbie

Go with a 360...Blu-Ray wont last forever, it's a Sony invention to try to differentiate, but I really don't think it has the lasting power. That's just me though.

21. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

didnt blu-eay win the format war though?

22. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Blu-ray won the disc war but people are wondering how long it will take for downloadable movies to become mainstream. MS and Apple are probably the best positioned companies when it comes to the 'living-room-entertainment-over-IP' war.

Lethal

EDIT: On topic, the 'best' system to get depends on what you like. IMO there is no hands down winner between the PS3, 360, and Wii. It all depends on what type of gamer you are and picking the console that best fits you.

23. t19880821 macrumors regular

I have all 3 consoles and I'm pretty happy with all of them. And yes, Lethal is right, it depends what type of gamer you are and each console (though it wasn't designed that way) has its own purpose. For example, the Wii is perfect when there are visitors over and there's nothing else to do, the PS3 is great for watching movies and casual gaming, the 360 imo is the best for competitive online play.

As far as the online thing goes though, I'm hoping that people will actually communicate with each other in SOCOM. Hell, half the fun of playing a game online is the opportunity to communicate or talk trash to other people.

24. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

^

Don't forget little 8 year olds calling you a homo, spitting out some good wholesome racist slurs and telling you to suck them off :p thank god for mics, how did we ever play games without them?