Still rocking 1st Gen iPhone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eye, Jul 4, 2010.

1. eye macrumors 6502a

eye

I'm still rocking my first gen iPhone (4 GB, no doubt) and, even with the release of the 4th version, I'm not quite convinced that I want to upgrade. Here's why:

1) My contract has unlimited data, enough minutes and enough texts. If I upgrade I pay more and get less. Plus, I risk signing on for two more years with AT&T when there seems to be a chance for an iPhone on another carrier. Not that I think others are any better, but I do think that competition will bring plan pricing down.

2) Although I have 4 Gb, I haven't had any desire for more. I have pages of apps and I have enough music on it for my workout every day. When I want to change it up, I just sync some different tunes. And movies? Tried to watch a movie once. Terrible. I don't see the point. Too small. No need to have them on a phone.

3) "New" features. Ya, I can't send photo texts. How many would I send? Probably none. I only get one every couple months and it's usually just a drunk person making a face. Home screen wallpapers, etc.: who cares. Face time? Don't know enough people with iPhone 4's to make it worth it, although if my lady friend got one I could see the benefit. Others? Why would I want to see you?

I do dig the better camera, the multitasking, and 3G (nope, still on edge), but is it enough?

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think most people even use most of the features added since iPhone 1. Am I nuts?

2. Big Dave macrumors 6502

3. cperchard macrumors 6502a

i dont know how contracts work in the USA but here in the UK if u threaten to leave your contract....the carrier seems to try anything to try and keep you.....cant u just ask them to upgrade u for the $199 price for the 16 gb version and keep the exact details of your contract? Otherwise say you're off! That usually works over here.

Oh and yes, it's worth it....for the speed of the thing alone, let alone the display, camera, video etc etc.

4. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

I know what you mean, the manufactures are always pushing "New" features in our face but sometimes I stop and think do we really need some of the things they are using as a selling point for the device? Most likely not but we live in a society where "Bigger is Better" so to speak and they use this to convince people that they must have the newest most "shiny" device on the market..... :rolleyes:

/Rookie

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

So, are you trying to justify to yourself why you don't want to upgrade? I'm not sure what you are asking?

6. elistan macrumors 6502a

I have a 4GB first-gen iPhone as well. I never felt the need for a 3G or 3GS, but we have an iPhone 4 on order.

1) I've never gone over 200 MB in a billing period. So the $15/mo 200GB + $5/mo 200 text will end up costing the same as the $20/mo plan.

2) I struggle sometimes to get everything to fit in 4GB.

3) I like the new screen resolution, and the memory and CPU improvements. I like the unified email inbox. Skyhook based location services can be wildly inaccurate in some areas - I'd like GPS for that. And 16GB will be nice. And finally, 1500 kbps down instead of 50 to 75 will be a nice update - just hope it doesn't drive us over the 200 GB threshold.

7. elistan macrumors 6502a

Of course he is. Just like people who never purchased an iPhone justified to themselves why they didn't. Just like poeple who did or did not purchase an iPhone 3G justified to themselves why they did that. Just like who did or did not purchase an iPhone 4 justified to themselves why the did that.

Everybody justifies to themselves about everything they do.

He's wondering if 3G/3GS/4 owners use enough of the features the first-gen doesn't have to justify spending the money to get a newer model.

8. JustinP81 macrumors 6502

You can upgrade to a new phone and keep the unlimited data plan! I went from a 3G to iP4 and kept my unlimited data plan.

Fair enough. I didn't need a 32 gig iPhone when I have a 16 gig iPad and a 160 gig iPod, but to each his own!

For 3G alone it would be enough. Unless you're not doing that much web surfing, but e-mail alone on Edge sucks! 3G is where it's at, man. The camera is fantastic. And c'mon... the NEW SCREEN? Oh man. It's a thing of beauty.

Yes. You're nuts. ;)

9. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Before my friend bought his iPhone 4 he had a 3G unlocked and using T-Mobile. We had to use EDGE on a long trip to Cape Cod and it was HORRIBLE. You can still get OK money for the first generation iPhone so why not just sell it and then upgrade?

10. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

You're totally foolish:rolleyes:

11. JeffreyDJ macrumors regular

Yes, it's worth the upgrade.

Speed, "multitasking", 3G, etc. are all good reasons.

The only reason not to upgrade would be if you're willing to bet it'll be on Verizon sooner, rather than later.

12. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I guess I understand that, but we can't answer that question for the OP. Every person is different. I use plenty of features that the 1st gen does not have. The OP needs to look at the new features and decide if any of them are worth the price. I'm not sure how we are supposed to help.

13. Hawklight macrumors member

When all apps stop supporting the 2G then what are you going to do?

14. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

15. cdp1276 macrumors member

cdp1276

I too am still using the 1st gen 8 GB iPhone since the first day it came out. I feel the technology change and features of the iPhone 4 are worth the upgrade. There is just so much more in the software. Try using a friends or visit the store for a bit and I think you will see it's worth it.

I'm just waiting for the white one to come out and it's killing me. My battery continues to last less and less, while the speed of this device is so hard to accept anymore.

16. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

get at least the 8GB 3GS model, the speed increase from the original iphone and the 3G data support is worth it 100 times over.

17. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Using 200 MB on Edge vs. 3G is a big difference. I suspect you will find yourself quickly using your allocated 200 MB quicker than usual, simply because you can browse so much more in the same time frame using 3G.

18. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

Having had all 4 gens now, I shudder to think how aggravating it would be if I were forced to use the 2G. At the very least pick up a 3gs for $99. Sell your 2g for $100-200, get the best plan you can. Of course for $199 you can get a 16 gb 4, comparing it to your 2g, which in this volatile market is a pretty much totally obsolete product, is like comparing a new top of the line laptop to one from 5 years ago, the old one might limp along but come on, life is short, live a little. :)

19. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

You can't go wrong sticking with the original. More power to ya. :)

20. elistan macrumors 6502a

Well, to some extent not having used some features its not intuitively obvious what benefit they present. Could you relate which features not on the first-gen phone you particularly like? With enough feedback from people with personal experience with these features, it does indeed help folks like the OP form opinions on whether it would benefit themselves as well.

Yeah, that's another point that factored into ordering the iPhone 4 - with no iOS 4 support, more and more apps will come out that the first-gen won't be able to run. Like iBooks.

Good point, and something I will have to keep an eye on. Just four hours of steaming 128kbps audio, which isn't doable on EDGE, is nearly 60MB of data. Well, we'll see.

21. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Don't listen to everyone, if you still enjoy your 2G there is no reason to spend the money. That being said, it is a worthwhile upgrade and in the US you will not loose your unlimited data if you extend your contract.

22. labrat1996 macrumors 6502

labrat1996

I upgraded to an iPhone 4 from my beloved original iPhone and YES it's worth the extra $15 a month for me - just for the wonderful video alone. I'm really enjoying the speed of 3G as well. I don't know how I lived with edge so long. The improved screen resolution helps me as well since I am at the age when I need reading glasses. I am VERY happy I upgraded. :)

23. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

If you wanna keep on your contract, cut your SIM down and shove it in an unlocked iP4.

IMO, the upgrade is worth it for the speed. Not the 3G, but the CPU and RAM of the phone itself. My first gen iPod touch has the same specs as the first gen iPhone, and using it ain't pretty.

But, hey, if you're fine with it and wouldn't use most of the new features anyway, stick to what you have.

24. nfl46 macrumors 604

The deal breaker is the first gem doesn't have 3G.

25. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

As beautiful as the new iPhone is I actually find the original iPhone to be my favorite in terms of build. The hard plastic of 3G and 3GS was a step back. And now I have to say iPhone 4 just looks too fragile. Plus the antenna appears to be a big hardware failure (for now).

Something to be said for aluminum backing.