Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

angel76ph

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2014
London, United Kingdom
Hi. Sold my iPhone 6 over a month ago I'm kinda missing it. Liked the smooth UI, gestures, speedy camera and gaming. But i still think there are many missing features which are really needed. Since iOS 9.x i could be wrong with this presumption and need your thoughts on the following:
1. No custom action centre w/ ability to add/remove toggles such as network signal toggle
2. Full stereo video recording
3. Ability to assign an mp3 file as ringtone via the music player
4. Speed dial on keypad
5. Custom equaliser on music player + louder volumes when using headphones
6. Third-party app link (e.g. Youtube, Instagram, etc.) to open in app and not in Safari
7. Queue next song ability in music player
8. Faster wireless file transfer (mp3 & mp4) from Mac to phone with or without iTunes
9. Ability to share Notes to third-parties such as Gmail, Evernote, etc.
10. Dedicated file manager on device
11. Ability to dismiss all tasks in multitasking at the same time (like Android)
12. Wide-angled photos
13. Water-resistant body coating
14. No 16GB option as it is too small
15. Bigger battery capacity
Most of these i have been suggesting for 2(!) long years and i do not know why it has not been implemented as Android have them for a while. I would like to love having an iPhone and i feel strongly for these features. I just feel Apple has not been listening to end users. Again, i could be wrong as some of them might be in iOS 9.x already or can be "found" using apps.
Also, Will i see the same notes on my Mac Notes app with Notes on an iPhone?

Any thoughts, advice or comments please?

Last edited:

valdigre

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2007
Dublin, Ireland
Hi. Sold my iPhone 6 over a month ago I'm kinda missing it. Liked the smooth UI, gestures, speedy camera and gaming. But i still think there are many missing features which are really needed. Since iOS 9.x i could be wrong with this presumption and need your thoughts on the following:
1. No custom action centre w/ ability to add/remove toggles such as network signal toggle
4. Speed dial on keypad
6. Third-party app link (e.g. Youtube, Instagram, etc.) to open in app and not in Safari
8. Faster wireless file transfer (mp3 & mp4) from Mac to phone with or without iTunes
11. Ability to dismiss all tasks in multitasking at the same time (like Android)
12. Wide-angled photos
Most of these i have been suggesting for 2(!) long years and i do not know why it has not been implemented as Android have them for a while. I would like to love having an iPhone and i feel strongly for these features. I just feel Apple has not been listening to end users. Again, i could be wrong as some of them might be in iOS 9.x already or can be "found" using apps.

1. Used to like it on Android, I don't care any more.
2. Don't notice this at all, I don't record many videos, though. Love the slow motion 240 fps, though. Most of the phones don't have it.
3. Miss that too.
4. Don't need it.
5. Don't care about this one, not big music listener.
6. Yep, would like this as well.
7. Don't care.
8. I have Synology NAS which is my go to storage for all devices, my personal cloud. I can download and play any movie from it to my iPhone using dsfile. I also store there my photos, videos and music, documents. Use my Mac only for backup of iPhone, don't transfer any files to it or from it.
9. Evernote does what you want?
10. Miss that the most, but oh well...
11. I don't have a ton of apps in the background, I manage them and remove those I won't be needing the moment I exit. Don't need close all.
12. Would be nice.
13. Not necessarily. Waterproof phones often overheat. Check out Xperia line and others. My z2 would often be hot in touch when doing demanding stuff, I prefer my iPhone being slightly warm when hammering it.
14. Get 64 gb version?
15. 6+/6S+ has the best battery life of all android phones I had. Well, maybe Xperia z2 came close or even was better in certain times, but still.

Yes, iPhone is overpriced and lacking many things that android has. Android is cheaper however lacking many things that iPhone has.

I had a choice to either buy a top of the line android phone or for the same price or 100 euro more, get iPhone. I took iPhone no hesitation, having iPad Air 2 and Mac mini.

I love the stability, consistency, quality, battery life, stability, feel, great camera HDR, stability, efficient operating system, integration with Apple devices, stability... If you get my point with stability :)

UI is fluid, touch responsive.

I do miss android but unless Apple gets even more greedy or really blows something, I am not coming back to android :)

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
You've got a long list of things that you know iPhones can't do. Either jailbreak your phone, or stay with Android.

A number of your things are pointless to me. For example:

1. No custom action centre w/ ability to add/remove toggles such as network signal toggle (the quick settings work fine for me)
2. Full stereo video recording (not an issue for me personally)
3. Ability to assign an mp3 file as ringtone via the music player (I've only got about 3 people with custom ring-tones)
4. Speed dial on keypad (there's a "Favorites" list already)
5. Custom equaliser on music player + louder volumes when using headphones (not an issue for me personally)
6. Third-party app link (e.g. Youtube, Instagram, etc.) to open in app and not in Safari (hasn't been an issue)
7. Queue next song ability in music player (I just let my playlists play...)
8. Faster wireless file transfer (mp3 & mp4) from Mac to phone with or without iTunes (I use Match to drive my music)
9. Ability to share Notes to third-parties such as Gmail, Evernote, etc. (hasn't been an issue for me personally)
10. Dedicated file manager on device (never had an urge for this)
11. Ability to dismiss all tasks in multitasking at the same time (like Android) (never been an issue)
12. Wide-angled photos (If anything, the camera is too wide already. Plus there's the panorama mode which works quite well for wider angle equivalent in some cases)
13. Water-resistant body coating (New phone is supposedly more water resistant, but I try to keep my phones dry)
14. No 16GB option as it is too small (Not an issue, as I've always gotten the mid-range capacity)
15. Bigger battery capacity (battery gets me through the day, which is all I ask. And it's much better than my S5)

Note that when I say it's not an issue, it's not an issue for ME. Not saying it's not a pain point for you or anyone else.

I suspect that 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7(?), 9, 10, and 11 can be addressed through jail-breaking your phone. Items 2, 13, 14, and 15 are hardware issues, so there's no fixing them, although you could likely get an external stereo mic, you can put they phone in a waterproof case, you can simply buy a larger capacity phone, and you can buy battery expansion cases.

In any case, use what works for you. Life is full of trade-offs.

C

Conan86

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Singapore
Apple is habitually slow in implementing many features, I do agree on some of your points but at the same time I'm satisfied with the experience offered by the iPhone as it is.

At this point of time, I think you're better off with Android if you absolutely need all those features.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
As has already been said: stay with Android and get over the UI issues, get over the iOS limitations, or jailbreak to tweak iOS.

The members of this forum aren't obligated to persuade you into anything. We have no vested interest in which you choose (except for those who hold APL). You do what's best for you.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
The iPhone will never have all those features because some go against their design model, so stay with Android.

But your list is also out of whack a bit.

Why does it annoy you that they offer a 16G version... if you don't want it, then don't buy it. They have different memory sizes available.

The 6S Plus has the best battery life of any flagship smartphone made, so that one is just wrong.

A lot of your other ones are either wrong, covered by a 3rd party app, or just ridiculously nitpicky... I'm sure you could make a similar list of things missing from your android phone.

So stay Android is my advice.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Still unconvinced...convince me?
It's not anyone's job to convince you (or anyone). It's your job to find solutions that suit you. No option is ever one-size-fits-all and you have to figure out where you're willing to make compromises.

No 16GB option as it is too small
I don't understand this one. The capacities offered aren't just for you. There are plenty that find 16 to be fine. The existence of the 16GB option does not preclude you from selecting the capacity that best suits you.

I would like to love having an iPhone and i feel strongly for these features.
That doesn't make sense either. If these are dealbreakers for you then why do you want an iPhone? Use what works for you.

If you have an account that will sync with both, yes.

I just feel Apple has not been listening to end users.
You're conflating "me" and "end users". Your desire for a feature doesn't mean that everyone else has the same desire.

Last edited:

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
4. Speed dial on keypad
12. Wide-angled photos

You DEFINITELY need an Android for your needs. iPhone is way too basic. Go on ahead and get you an Android phone. Order one from Amazon or head to your local store.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
No convincing is possible, and I won't try. If all those features are more important to you than the things you miss about the iPhone, then you have no choice. There are a few points I can address, however, but those probably won't make the difference for you. And that's OK. You need to be happy with your choice.

You can queue the next song ("Play Next").

As to sharing Notes - do you mean you want to Share to the Gmail app? That's up to Google (to add the feature to their app). Share is part of the iOS API, available to any developer - https://developer.apple.com/library...al/Conceptual/ExtensibilityPG/ShareSheet.html. If they add it, it'll show up as an option when you tap the More button in Share. Regardless, you can certainly share a Note to a Gmail account that's been setup in Apple's Mail app, and you can set Notes so that it saves Notes to a Gmail account (Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Account).

Will you see the same Notes on your iPhone and Mac? Yes, if you use iCloud (or set your Gmail, Yahoo, or AOL mail account for Notes). Both Mac and iPhone can be configured to sync Notes with those accounts.

If a wider-angle lens is important, then it is. It's nice to have a choice and be able to get the width you prefer. However, any camera with a fixed-focal-length lens is a compromise. There are shots you miss if the lens is too narrow, and there are other shots you miss because the lens is too wide. (Sure, you can always blow up and crop, but you do lose quality that way.) Historically speaking, very few fixed-lens cameras came with a 28mm-equivalent lens, because it's too wide for many uses - the 35mm-equivalent lens is far, far more widely used, both in smart phones and in fixed-lens cameras. Before about 10 years ago, it was hard find point-and-shoot cameras with 3x or 4x zooms that went as wide as 28mm (most casual photographers seem to prefer longer telephotos to wider angles - 35-175 seems to be more popular that 28-150). It's nice that more and more people appreciate the benefits of wide angle. Me? I can't imagine not having at least a 28mm (or better, 24mm) at my disposal. However, I've found that when shooting iPhone-only, I rarely have wanted something wider than 35mm. When I do, Pano lets me get really extreme. ;-)

Who cares if there's a 16 GB option? It's not whether the base model has the memory you need. What really matters is the price with the amount of memory you do need. I'll use Verizon for comparison (different carriers offer different no-contract prices). To compare the base models: 16 GB iPhone 6s costs $80 LESS than a 32 GB Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge ($699.99 vs. $779.99). A 64 GB iPhone 6s costs $70 LESS than a 64 GB Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge ($799.99 vs. $869.99). The real kicker is that the 64 GB iPhone costs just $20 more than the 32 GB Samsung.

Speed Dial on the keypad? You mean assigning a speed dial number to particular contacts (like *34), or do you mean there are dedicated buttons right on the keypad (sorry, I'm not an Android user)? Not that Apple offers either - this is going to be one of those personal usage things - I don't use the keypad very much, and since the iPhone opens to whichever mode I previously used, Favorites or Recents is what normally opens up for me, rather than the keypad. Most of the time, dialing a Favorite or Recent takes one press, at worst, it's two. I'd imagine if I used the keypad a lot, I might wish for an on-keypad speed dial of some sort. However, in terms of touches/clicks... A three-touch speed dial like *34 doesn't compare all that well to one or two presses. And for a dedicated-button arrangement - are there 12 or more dedicated speed dials on that number pad (as can fit on an iPhone 6/6s Favorites screen without scrolling)?

Dedicated file manager on device? It may not be all you desire, but if you enable iCloud Drive, there is a dedicated iCloud Drive app that does allow you to manage files to a limited extent (create folders, move, share), and access to iCloud Drive is available to any apps that wants to use it. But no, Apple's not going to give you a full-strength file manager for iOS, no matter how often you request it.

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008

Not available. I don't foresee this happening.

I didn't know this was a thing.

There may be an app that does this, but natively, no. Might I suggest building them in iTunes all at once and then do a single sync.

4. Speed dial on keypad

This seems redundant considering the favorites, recents, and contacts are all there.

I don't think this is possible.

I don't understand what you mean here.

Yes. It's called up next.

How fast would you like it? Most new machines are USB3 and that's pretty fast.

I can't answer this.

No. This won't ever happen.

Turn the phone off and on.

12. Wide-angled photos

No. But you can do a panoramic.

Not yet. There were some tests with the 6S that showed a high resistance to water.

Then but a bigger capacity. Even Samsung ditched the external SD card.

6S+ has a Fantastic battery

Reactions: angel76ph

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I am just going to speak to one specific item on your list and that is a dedicated file system.

You will NEVER see this on an iPhone. It goes against everything Apple intends with the iPhone.

Give users access to the underlying file system and they start doing stuff. Either making modifications, screwing up the system or most likely - both.

Apple loses control of the design and functionality of the system and the result is increased support calls and visits when users who have no idea what they are doing mess things up.

And quite honestly, with the exception of the users of this site and other dedicated iDevice sites, just what kind of customers does Apple have in general? People who have no clue about how to use tech. They just want it to work. Keeping them out of the file system means Apple can make it work for these customers. Keeping those people moving forward in upgrades and preventing them from moving backwards means Apple can make it work - consistently.

If you look at late versions of OS X, Apple is even trying to keep people out of the system there. So, no. There will never be a dedicated file system. That's just insane, crazy talk in Apple's eyes.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
You DEFINITELY need an Android for your needs. iPhone is way too basic. ...

There is nothing basic about an iPhone vs. Android. They are different. You will always find a feature in one that isn't in the other, as you would with two TVs, two cars, etc...

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
There is nothing basic about an iPhone vs. Android. They are different. You will always find a feature in one that isn't in the other, as you would with two TVs, two cars, etc...

That's not what the OP said. The iPhone is too basic for his needs. Android is better for him.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
That's not what the OP said. The iPhone is too basic for his needs. Android is better for him.

My statement stands, and I was referring to what you said, not the OP... "the iPhone is way to basic". Pick an android phone and compare it to an iPhone... I can come up with a list of features that either doesn't have. That doesn't make either of them "basic". These are flagship devices, not basic ones. The reason an iPhone doesn't work for him is that he's picked out a list of mostly tiny features that it doesn't do. As I said, you can come up with a list of similar things any Android phone doesn't do that the iPhone does do. Choices are good.

Reactions: willmtaylor

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
4. Speed dial on keypad
12. Wide-angled photos

I take the bait, though would be wiser not to.
I don't think you have to be convinced as you've already made your decision.
Android has it's advantages and disadvantages, like the iPhone.
Most of the functions mentioned in your post meet specific needs, some of them are present in iOS, but can be used differently as on Android. 16GB is more than enough for a lot of people as it depends on pattern of use. Battery life? Oh well, coming from Sony, I can't say that it was any better than on my iPhone.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
My statement stands, and I was referring to what you said, not the OP... "the iPhone is way to basic". Pick an android phone and compare it to an iPhone... I can come up with a list of features that either doesn't have. That doesn't make either of them "basic". These are flagship devices, not basic ones. The reason an iPhone doesn't work for him is that he's picked out a list of mostly tiny features that it doesn't do. As I said, you can come up with a list of similar things any Android phone doesn't do that the iPhone does do. Choices are good.

Yeah but you fail to understand that the iPhone is too basic for his needs. Did you read the list of things he wants?

Does the iPhone do any of those?

Nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.