Stolen macbook :( time capsule??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rsales, Oct 7, 2010.

1. rsales macrumors newbie

hi, my macbookpro 13" was stolen.. i can't belived it.

i bought new today by credit, i always have done time capsule backups with the old macbook.

Now i started the new one, and when i go to migration app, it doesn't work.

What should i do?

I need so much to recover my work :(

if i have the time capsule connected to a internet device, it appears connecting and does nothing

if i have the time capsule not connected to a internet device it says error wrong mabook, problem connection etc

2. rsales thread starter macrumors newbie

at least now i can acess my files.

but if i try to copy them it says (if a copy to my computer) the capacity to diferenciate caps from not caps is not indicated for a security copy. if i copy to a external disk it says:

the format of this volume is not indicated to a security copy

what can i do?

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Immediately after installing the OS, the installer should offer you to backup from a Time Machine backup (among other options), then you should select the backup on your time capsule, and hours later everything should be fine.

About the errors: This sounds like a bad translation from some other language, and doesn't make any sense. Could you post exactly what you are doing (and remember that we are not sitting besides you and cannot see what you are doing, and we can't really guess) and _exactly_ what happens?

So did you manage to restore your files from the Time Capsule, and they are now on your MacBook, or did you just find that you can access them somehow?

4. rsales thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the answer!

when configuration the new mac it says he can't connect to time capsule..

so i followed the configuration, put it like a virgin mac, manage to connect to it but when using the migration tool it says:

"it's not possible to open the security copy. Secure yourself that the periferics are all connected and active. is possible that this copy is beiing used. certify yourself that the security copy is not being used by other computer and try again"

It says always that.

when i acess it through finder, i can acess my files, but they all say

if i try to copy them it says (if a copy to my computer) the capacity to diferenciate caps from not caps is not indicated for a security copy. if i copy to a external disk it says:

my old mac we're in european portuguese, this is also in european portuguese. the model is exactly the same.

I just want to secure my files and at least copy them. If time capsule doesn't work :(

by the way, when i acess the time capsule through finder it appears the files:

also the filename is 2010-10-01-133520.inProgress

i think the last backup in my old mac didn't go completly through.

what should i do? thank you so much!

5. rsales thread starter macrumors newbie

6. northerngit macrumors member

I'm still at a loss as to the error you're seeing, but have you tried one of the following programs?

Time Machine Software

There are a few free choices that may assist - but personally give "Back-in-Time" a try and let us know how you go!

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you want some help, you need to make yourself a bit more clearer and understandable. I am really not understanding the situation here. It's really confusing.

8. dwhynman macrumors regular

Have you called apple 1800aplcare? If they cant help you on the phone they can set you up with someone that can help you in person. even if you don't have an apple store near you. That is what I would do I find myself calling apple care 6 times a year. even for the small things they can help.

9. rsales thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the feedback guys!

northerngit, back in time detects one backup from my old computer not from the new one so i cannot mount it

the program is that the backups in time capsule are from my old mac not from the new one. i don't know how to recover those backups.

wordoflife, i had a macbook pro 13", done time capsule backups everyday. it was stolen. i bought a new one same model. now i don't know how to recover my files from time capsule.

dwhynman, i'm not from the US, they have mail or something?

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife