Stop being so damn nitpicky

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mobilehavoc, Apr 10, 2012.

1. mobilehavoc macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

I've owned all 3 iPads and all on launch day. I've thoroughly enjoyed all of them and am loving the iPad 3. The secret? Its just a piece of technology not some bloody work of art or priceless artifact. Its a mass produced electronic from China that is bound to have imperfections just by logic. The people on here that spend a sad amount of time dwelling on minor light leakage or little things are doing themselves a disservice. Just use the thing and move on with your lives. If you're not going to be satisfied until you have the perfect one you'll be waiting for ever.

2. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

Nicely put.

I've never seen so many nitpickers in my life before, until I've read these posts here on macrumors forums.

Anybody who has returned more than 2 new 3rd gen iPad's has a terrible case of OCD.

3. mcdj, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012

mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

A. Why do you care?

B. The people on here that spend a sad amount of time dwelling on other people's nitpickiness are no different than iPad nitpickers...and certainly no less annoying. Do you hang out on the weekends at the Best Buy customer service counter and try to talk people out of returning things? Because that's basically what you're doing now...

C. Who are you to say what I or anyone else should be happy with? Should I be happy with a broken stereo speaker because YOU can't hear out of your left ear? Should I stay at a concert that I think sucks because it's YOUR favorite band? Should I accept a pink blotchy iPad because your sensitivity to the color pink is lower than mine? Seriously, random internet guy, don't flatter yourself.

After 5 iPad 3s, all returned for various problems, I finally got one today that's acceptable. Is it perfect? No, but I am a reasonable person. I had exactly one iPad 1 and one iPad 2....both were basically perfect out of the box. No returns necessary. I'm a picky customer, but they were great.

Fact is, this time around, Apple made A LOT more iPads than last year's launch, potentially creating big QC problems, which will compound issues with an already challenging new technology in the retina display.

I'm glad you're happy with your iPad. But an increasing number of increasingly vocal people here on MR are not happy with theirs. That's why you keep seeing more and more posts about it...duh?

Apple has built their $600 billion empire on selling sleek, sexy, high quality goods. Maintaining that quality in the face of exponential popularity and massive sales is a huge challenge. I maintain they bit off a bit more than they can chew by launching the new iPad in so many countries simultaneously.

Is it any mystery that Tim Cook is a supply guy and that his first major product at Apple's helm was an exercise in pushing the supply limits rather than the typical Jobs era method of a smaller, more controlled US only launch? Is it any wonder that producing a few extra million iPads might have some effect on QC?

If the Tim Cook megalaunch is here to stay, and quality does in fact slip, and no one calls them out on it, then as many pundits predicted, Steve Jobs passing will have in fact been the beginning of the end of Apple.

Is that what you want? Because by telling people with QC complaints to effectively shut up, you are effectively calling for the downfall of Apple.

If you want to see less nitpicking posts, then ironically, it's YOU that needs to pipe down. Let people complain. When enough do, it will get noticed...first by the blogs, then by the press. Then Apple will be forced to do something about it. When they step up QC, there will be less nitpickers.

Think different.

4. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

I've owned every iPhone on launch day.
    I've owned multiple original iPads.
    I've owned countless MacBooks and MacBook Pros.
    I've owned Apple Cinema displays.

...and I've never had an issue.

I've also owned seven new iPads and they've all had issues bad enough to distract me during normal use. It's really a shame IMO.

5. ewo1992 macrumors regular

ewo1992

Why does it matter they should be able to get a perfect iPad if they want.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

One up for common sense...I too have owned all three, never needed to return one, and am happy with my newbie as well. It's kind of the Apple culture to punch holes in products you have been eagerly anticipating...Why? I have no idea...The majority of us are happy with our Macs and IOS devices. Compare Apples' customer service to just about any other large electronics manufacturer and they come out on top every time IMO.

7. Just Switched macrumors member

If your child yells ouch from an overheated iPad that's not being nit picky. That's a damn hot iPad. If you don't mind paying hundreds of dollars of a machine that won't detect any wifi signals, have a volume button that doesn't work, screen is yellow, I won't list all the issues i've had with it as it would be to long and borring but this isn't being nit picky. This iPad launch has been riddled with defects for me personally.

8. Stardotboy macrumors regular

I've also owned a lot of Apple products over the years and thankfully until the new iPad have never had to return any. However the first new iPad I bought had a defective screen - when put next to a display model in the Apple store with the same brightness settings the difference was night and day. The whole screen had a pink hue with a green tint on the bottom half, and the screen was significantly dimmer.

I'm wary about paying too much attention to people who claim to have returned 10+ iPads in search of a perfect model, but the simple fact is that no company will ever produce a tablet where 100% of the screens are perfectly produced. What would you suggest to someone who has a discoloured or uneven screen - they should just put up with a dodgy product for the sake of Apple's bottom line?

9. adddictedtomac, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012

adddictedtomac macrumors regular

Makes me wonder who is really complaining, are they Apple fans or Amazon/Samsung or other Tablet users who like to defame Apple products?

They did not stop me from purchasing an iPad 3 last week and I am happy with it, no problems to report.

I purchased my first Macintosh in 1987, ever since I have blindly purchased a huge number of Apple products and I never, ever had any problems.

I do understand that it may happen some day that I will have to return an Apple product, but what are the odds to have to return a product 3, 5 or 10 times! If that day comes, I will never bother to purchase another Apple product. I do not care about Samsung Tablets, or any other Tablets, and you will never see me complaint about them because I DO NOT CARE!

10. gpsouza macrumors 6502

gpsouza

Couldn't agree more...
    My iPad do have some yellow spot and pink whatever, but this is only visible with full brightness and with a total still black image, it's something that I only notice after some OCD posts here, after a few months.
    But, why do I care? It isn't visible in most cases! I think they're just happy to complain, and that's how they enjoy their iPads lol

11. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

@mcdj

I have started liking you for your writing skills...That was a Mega Punch :D in response to the OP

12. heyyitzmelissa macrumors 6502

This is what happens when poor people who have unentitled self-importance buy expensive products.

13. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

I got my own very first iPad 2 yesterday and the machine is flawless. I'm assuming that any kinks in the iPad 2 have been worked out by now but I can't stress how impressed I am at the build quality of the thing, especially compared to my old Xoom.

I also have a Transformer Prime (new C3 serial which has wifi and gps fixed) which rivals the iPad in marereals used but it does have 2 dead pixels on the screen. They don't bother me at all so I guess my standards aren't as high as some people here so I'd most likely overlook any flaws with my iPad as well.

I'm just pleased to enjoy the tech I own.

14. ZipZap macrumors 601

Why did you think anyone at this point would care about your opinion? Or that it was needed?

So, now whose spending a sad amount of time dwelling?

Note to others. If you like what you have great. If you think others are being too picky....keep your opinion to yourself.

15. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

If you kid was burnt by a "warm" iPad he/she is not a viable life form in the first place!:rolleyes:

16. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

As Apple customers, we shouldn't have to lower our standards and accept flawed devices. I never have and never will. I'm a huge Apple fan and my house is full of Apple gear and has been since the late 80's.

The new iPad is the first time I've had to return anything (in my case 4).

From a long time customer, this is disappointing.

17. mmo macrumors member

That's about the biggest load of crap I ever heard.
    So poor people should not be allowed to expect quality? Rich people can, though? And if a rich person expect quality, it is not "unentitled self-importance".
    I am sorry if I am over-interpreting, but your post comes off as extremely unsympathetic.

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It's weird to see how you seem to fail to note how you seem to care just as much.

19. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I guess I've been really fortunate with my Apple purchases. Since 2008, I've purchased a MacBook Pro, iPhones 3S and 4S along with 3 original iPads and 1 of the new iPads. I've not had any issues with any of them. All have had great screens with no bleed through, no dead pixels, etc. and are all still being used. They've been rough handled by my Grand Kids that are 2 and 3 years old, stepped on, dropped lightly and still all working nicely with no issues.

However, with all the good purchases above, if my new iPad had issues with the screen quality or yellowing, buttons not working, etc. I would have returned it. If the cosumer accepts sub par quality the producer will produce sub par products.

20. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Couldn't have been said more better !

21. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

This.

22. oli356 macrumors 6502

Some people are nitpicky, like returning the iPad because of backlight bleed when they go in a pitch black room, full brightness and a weird angle..

The yellow tint though looks a lot worse in my opinion, I would call that a fault. Why pay for something what has a fault?

I'm one of those with a 'perfet' iPad :)

23. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

i would be kind of mad if my $600 iPad with the "best display of any tablet" had any light leaks.

get over yourself.

24. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Love all these threads telling everyone else what to do. How would we manage otherwise lol

25. Nychot macrumors 6502a

Keep returning them folks. In a couple of months apple will have a slew of reconditioned ipads for sale at bargainprices. Cantbeatthat.