Stop Confirming t-mobile is unlocked, because it isn't

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by micho119, Oct 11, 2014.

1. micho119, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2014

micho119 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

After everything I read online and the confirmation I got the t-mobile version is free, my friend went and got a phone, he turned it on for the first time in another country with the t-mobile sim on and it worked fine, after that he inserted another sim and they said that sim is invalid.

I've ordered two iphones t-mobile contract free, I've checked with apple support with the serial numbers and they confirmed that one is unlocked (which I turned on with t-mobile for the first time) and one is locked (which is still in the box)

I think this means that the phone should first be turned on with t-mobile sim in USA and be activated then we can use it anywhere else.

Any ideas here?

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

It means nothing. The phone is factory unlocked period when bought from Apple. No debate, end of discussion. Close topic.

3. micho119 thread starter macrumors newbie

my friend, it's not about personal opinions, it's about facts, and the fact is my friend's phone didn't work with another sim.

4. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

T-Mobiles Contract free iPhone 6 and 6 plus purchased at full price trough Apple is unlocked, period. I was using the 6 with my AT&T sim for 13 days before I returned it with no issues at all....

5. tuukka87 macrumors regular

tuukka87

Bought a t-mobile 6, popped the sim out, placed my at&t sim in and bam, it works and is unlocked. :eek:

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

How did your friend purchase the phone? If he bought it outright, full price through Apple (store or online) then it should be unlocked. If he bought from T-Mobile, then all bets are off. And it will definitely be locked if he bought it by making payments through JUMP.

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Bought from an Apple Store, full price.

Never booted it with TMo sim. The genius placed my Aio sim in it right away, and it booted up straight away with Cricket service.

Unlocked.

Number of variables, but he should return it where he bought it and get a genius's assistance. That's not available because he took it beyond the supported market? His gamble.

8. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Purchased from Apple.com. Put my non t-mobile sim in it off the box. Have been using since that day. No issues.

9. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

10. wtnon6pls Suspended

wtnon6pls

I suck, because I pre-ordered from T-Mobile!
    Got a tmob 6+ from Apple.com inserted a cricket sim no problems at all. Now I decided to switch to tmob as my carrier to see how that goes for a month. BTW I signed in to mytmob site and it doesn't even know what device I am using on my prepaid account. #

11. micho119 thread starter macrumors newbie

He bought it via apple online store. boot up first with t-mobile, then inserted another sim and it said "sim is invalid"

is there anything he can do to unlock it?

12. Lylyluvda916 macrumors regular

I say try a different sim. If it doesn't work return it.

13. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

It shouldn't matter what SIM card he activated it with as it is still unlocked out of the box. Tell your friend to try connecting the iPhone to iTunes and hit restore. Doing this should give him the "congratulations your iPhone is unlocked" message.

14. dcharleyultra macrumors 6502

Like everyone has posted, if he paid full price and purchased from Apple, phone is already unlocked. It sounds like either the phone or the SIM card is defective.

15. rui no onna, Oct 11, 2014

rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

This. I believe it can initially lock to T-Mobile if you activate it with the T-Mobile SIM. Just connect to iTunes to unlock.

16. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I would get it exchanged. That phone shouldn't be locked.

Alternately, if he's a T-Mobile customer and isn't planning on using another carrier for the next 40 days, he can keep the phone, and on day 41, call and request to have it unlocked.

17. erzhik macrumors 6502

Restore through iTunes and change the SIM. It's been confirmed hundreds of times it's unlocked.

18. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Should not have done this. This could have locked it? Shouldn't, but I dunno.

Try the restore mentioned a few posts earlier.

19. zzoomp09, Oct 11, 2014

zzoomp09 macrumors 6502

zzoomp09

AT&T, Verizon and TMobile iPhones bought FULL PRICE at Apple Store, they're UNLOCKED!

That's a fact. I bought both TMobile and Verizon iPhone6 full price and they are both UNLOCKED.

20. wtnon6pls, Oct 11, 2014

wtnon6pls Suspended

wtnon6pls

I suck, because I pre-ordered from T-Mobile!
    When I got my phone I activated it with the tmob sim that came with it from Apple.com still in it. Afterward I was able to put a cricket sim in it and use it without any problems.

21. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It doesn't, normally. I activated with a T-Mobile SIM initially, and then tried a Verizon SIM. Took it fine.

22. 617aircav Suspended

An unlocked phone can't be locked.

23. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

So the fact is hundreds of people tell u from personal experience that full price Verizon/att/tmobile iPhones from the apple store are gsm unlocked. Yet your one friend who seems to have trouble with his means were all wrong huh. then u start a thread trying to disprove something we all know as true. Right.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

And its usually a newbie with a few posts:D
    Damn, we are all wrong.

25. eekcat macrumors 6502a