Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

micho119

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
Hi all,

After everything I read online and the confirmation I got the t-mobile version is free, my friend went and got a phone, he turned it on for the first time in another country with the t-mobile sim on and it worked fine, after that he inserted another sim and they said that sim is invalid.

I've ordered two iphones t-mobile contract free, I've checked with apple support with the serial numbers and they confirmed that one is unlocked (which I turned on with t-mobile for the first time) and one is locked (which is still in the box)

I think this means that the phone should first be turned on with t-mobile sim in USA and be activated then we can use it anywhere else.

Any ideas here?

Last edited:

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Hi all,

After everything I read online and the confirmation I got the t-mobile version is free, my friend went and got a phone, he turned it on for the first time in another country with the t-mobile sim on and it worked fine, after that he inserted another sim and they said that sim is invalid.

I've ordered two iphones t-mobile contract free, I've checked with apple support with the serial numbers and they confirmed that one is unlocked (which I turned on with t-mobile for the first time) and one is locked (which is still in the box)

I think this means that the phone should first be turned on with t-mobile sim in USA and be activated then we can use it anywhere else.

Any ideas here?

It means nothing. The phone is factory unlocked period when bought from Apple. No debate, end of discussion. Close topic.

micho119

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
It means nothing. The phone is factory unlocked period when bought from Apple. No debate, end of discussion. Close topic.

my friend, it's not about personal opinions, it's about facts, and the fact is my friend's phone didn't work with another sim.

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
T-Mobiles Contract free iPhone 6 and 6 plus purchased at full price trough Apple is unlocked, period. I was using the 6 with my AT&T sim for 13 days before I returned it with no issues at all....

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
my friend, it's not about personal opinions, it's about facts, and the fact is my friend's phone didn't work with another sim.

How did your friend purchase the phone? If he bought it outright, full price through Apple (store or online) then it should be unlocked. If he bought from T-Mobile, then all bets are off. And it will definitely be locked if he bought it by making payments through JUMP.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Hi all,

Any ideas here?
Bought from an Apple Store, full price.

Never booted it with TMo sim. The genius placed my Aio sim in it right away, and it booted up straight away with Cricket service.

Unlocked.

Number of variables, but he should return it where he bought it and get a genius's assistance. That's not available because he took it beyond the supported market? His gamble.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005

Purchased from Apple.com. Put my non t-mobile sim in it off the box. Have been using since that day. No issues.

T-Mobiles Contract free iPhone 6 and 6 plus purchased at full price trough Apple is unlocked, period. I was using the 6 with my AT&T sim for 13 days before I returned it with no issues at all....
Got a tmob 6+ from Apple.com inserted a cricket sim no problems at all. Now I decided to switch to tmob as my carrier to see how that goes for a month. BTW I signed in to mytmob site and it doesn't even know what device I am using on my prepaid account. #

micho119

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
How did your friend purchase the phone? If he bought it outright, full price through Apple (store or online) then it should be unlocked. If he bought from T-Mobile, then all bets are off. And it will definitely be locked if he bought it by making payments through JUMP.

He bought it via apple online store. boot up first with t-mobile, then inserted another sim and it said "sim is invalid"

is there anything he can do to unlock it?

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
He bought it via apple online store. boot up first with t-mobile, then inserted another sim and it said "sim is invalid"

It shouldn't matter what SIM card he activated it with as it is still unlocked out of the box. Tell your friend to try connecting the iPhone to iTunes and hit restore. Doing this should give him the "congratulations your iPhone is unlocked" message.

dcharleyultra

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2013
Like everyone has posted, if he paid full price and purchased from Apple, phone is already unlocked. It sounds like either the phone or the SIM card is defective.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Tell your friend to try connecting the iPhone to iTunes and hit restore. Doing this should give him the "congratulations your iPhone is unlocked" message.
This. I believe it can initially lock to T-Mobile if you activate it with the T-Mobile SIM. Just connect to iTunes to unlock.

Last edited:

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

I would get it exchanged. That phone shouldn't be locked.

Alternately, if he's a T-Mobile customer and isn't planning on using another carrier for the next 40 days, he can keep the phone, and on day 41, call and request to have it unlocked.

erzhik

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2010
Restore through iTunes and change the SIM. It's been confirmed hundreds of times it's unlocked.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

Should not have done this. This could have locked it? Shouldn't, but I dunno.

Try the restore mentioned a few posts earlier.

zzoomp09

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
nordern nu joizee
AT&T, Verizon and TMobile iPhones bought FULL PRICE at Apple Store, they're UNLOCKED!

That's a fact. I bought both TMobile and Verizon iPhone6 full price and they are both UNLOCKED.

Last edited:
This. I believe it can initially lock to T-Mobile if you activate it with the T-Mobile SIM. Just connect to iTunes to unlock.

Should not have done this. This could have locked it? Shouldn't, but I dunno.

Try the restore mentioned a few posts earlier.

When I got my phone I activated it with the tmob sim that came with it from Apple.com still in it. Afterward I was able to put a cricket sim in it and use it without any problems.

Last edited:

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012

So the fact is hundreds of people tell u from personal experience that full price Verizon/att/tmobile iPhones from the apple store are gsm unlocked. Yet your one friend who seems to have trouble with his means were all wrong huh. then u start a thread trying to disprove something we all know as true. Right.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
So the fact is hundreds of people tell u from personal experience that full price Verizon/att/tmobile iPhones from the apple store are gsm unlocked. Yet your one friend who seems to have trouble with his means were all wrong huh. then u start a thread trying to disprove something we all know as true. Right.

And its usually a newbie with a few posts:D
Damn, we are all wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.