iPad Stop talking about a 12" iPad.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by chupachup, Aug 14, 2014.

1. chupachup macrumors 6502

It is a gossip that will never ever happen. There will not be a half osx half ios giant ipad. It is ridiculous to think that Apple would even consider making such a device.

We will get a new MacBook Air. Retina. 12" if anything.

2. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

There hasn't been any component leaks so I really doubt it will come into existence.

Wouldn't an iPad with iOS and OSX knock the purpose of some macbook? I know it probably won't be able to do it all but....it'll be up there.

3. iBook_Clamshell macrumors member

Wow!
    A 12" iPad would be cool, but it would be pretty big to carry around. As far as OS X on an iPad, I like that idea. I thought about using a PowerBook 12" Aluminum to make a tablet with OS X. the motherboard is about 10"x5". I heard tell you can make a touch screen work with OS X.

4. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

I bet Apple finally announces the 12" iPad this fall. It's going to have a higher resolution screen, touch ID, 2 GB of ram and start with 32 GB of storage. IOS 8 is going to provide a split screen mode so you can have side by side apps open at the same time. It will also have an option for a keyboard cover which will be a first for Apple. It will probably be named iPad Pro and it's going to be awesome.

5. triptolemus macrumors 6502

triptolemus

Start thread directing people not to talk about 12 inch iPad...

...people talk about 12 inch iPad.

[​IMG]

6. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

I can't wait to see the 12" iPad. It'll be so damn awesome. Gonna queue in line for it :)

7. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I agree with the OP. Something that big is kind of pointless to use in you hand, and is more in notebook territory. And if it's basically in notebook territory, you'd be better off with a notebook.

And the only way I see an iPad being useful running full OS X is if it has an external keyboard and mouse. And as Apple don't really do things that require third-party bits to be useful, I can't see it happening.

8. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Just try to use Splashtop to connect to your Mac and you will get an idea of what it feels like to operate OS X on an iPad. Touch targets are always too small and constant zooming in and out is needed just for simple operations. Also dragging things in Finder is almost impossible.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Was hoping for even larger. The iPad Pro will live one day!

10. yeongil macrumors newbie

Well, I'm not going to stop talking about it; however, my needs are probably not like most people. I play the piano and organ, and the regular-sized iPad is too small IMO for reading PDF sheet music. If Apple puts out a 12" iPad then I may consider buying it and selling my iPad Mini Retina. :p

11. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    LOL, had never even considered it until this thread.

12. chupachup thread starter macrumors 6502

And their laptops will never be touch screens either.

13. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Yes, Sir! (***salutes***)

I will not, now or in the future, speak or write of....well, you know...that thing about which we may not speak or write!

:rolleyes:

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Of course there is no reason to have a touchscreen laptop without a touch version of OSX.

15. chupachup thread starter macrumors 6502

It will never exist.

16. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I must say I admire the fact that you assert everything with an absolute degree of certainty to which mere mortals can only aspire...

17. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Makes me wonder if the OP is trying to convince, him/herself or us of what they "know".

So, when is this 12" iPad coming out? What are the specs going to be? Retail price? Available models?

18. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I never said it would.

19. JAT macrumors 603

Since there is an existent 12" Samsung tablet now, it's pretty easy to go pick one up and see how it fits in your hand. That should allow the opinions of people to actually have a basis.

20. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I think youre worried about semantics. People generally associate iPad as the Apple Tablet. If Apple chooses to make a Mac Tablet (i.e. 12" Macbook Air with removable keyboard) then as a rumor, they will just call it a 12" iPad. I dont get what the big deal is? We're talking about products that dont exist, so why get riled up about it?

----------

There are already patents by Apple with touchscreen interface with OSX

21. Padmini macrumors 6502a

You're all over the place with this thread.

1. "Larger" iPad...there very well may be.
    2. OSX / iOS hybrid....never.
    3. Touch on laptops....never.

All different things you tried to address with one (incorrect) title.

22. cynics macrumors G4

One day Apple will need to do something with iOS on the iPad. Some of the competition is already venturing there and running full fledge programs. Running games and Facebook won't cut it forever.

Microsoft latest ad campaign is stacking the surface pro 3 up against the mackbook air, never mind the iPad. All they have to do now is wait for the tech to get smaller and everything will be in place.

23. chupachup thread starter macrumors 6502

I have. It is gigantic. It would need a stand like a Surface. Which just makes it a laptop, without a full desktop os.

----------

I'm sure they have thousands of patents. That doesn't mean they will make it.

They have a patent for a coil holder. Should I wait for that too?

24. ourmountain macrumors regular

Stop telling me what to do. You're not my real dad.

25. chupachup thread starter macrumors 6502

That's because the Surface is a laptop.

----------

That's different. A hybrid laptop isn't a 12" iPad. That would be a hybrid Air. That's another thing. It is a MacBook Air that runs OSX, but you can detach the screen and would switch to IOS.

Thats different than selling a 12" iPad. That would be a hybrid device. Not what I'm talking about.

And yet again Apple wouldn't be innovating. Hybrids are everywhere now. They don't sell.

Apples philosophy is very clear.

1) touch surfaces must be horizontal. They will never ask you to reach and touch a screen vertically. I can post videos of Jobs himself saying this.

2) Cook is very clear. Mixing things isn't what Apple is about. You don't want to make 1 device that does everything. They believe in the separation between IOS devices and OSX devices and not mixing the two. Apple believes in making a device that does a specific thing very well. They believe in a range of devices, not in one device that does 10 things.