Storage Dilemma....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BMox, Oct 9, 2014.

1. BMox macrumors 6502a

I'm about to come into some redundancy money whilst managing to secure a new job fairly quickly.

Majority of it is going into the wedding pot (got to keep the wife to be happy), but a small slice is mine to spend.

So I'm gonna crack on and get a new iPhone.

My conundrum is this:

I've only ever had 16gb phones and currently have a 16gb iPhone 5S so I acknowledge that my next phone needs to have bigger storage. I expected a 32gb minimum so well done to Apple for eliminating that to make everyone jump up to the 64.

In an ideal world, I'd like to get a SG 64gb iPhone 6. But these however are like gold dust at present and I don't really want to have to wait 7-10 (or possibly longer) days for one to arrive via the Apple Store.

So given that, is it worth paying £699 for a 128gb iP6, or £699 for a 64gb 6 Plus, knowing I can just reserve one and pick it up the following day....?

I don't really run into storage problems with my 16gb as it stands as I'm more of a data user and only ever have 9/10 albums on my phone.

But I'm looking at my phone now and I've on'y got 3.7gb spare and thats only having the bare minimum on it. I've been concious of the size of certain apps so haven't downloaded them for that very reason. I appreciate that apps are getting bigger and it would be nice to be able to download them without fear of having to worry about space.

I'm also getting married with looking to start a family so getting this phone would be it for me for the next couple of years (he says this now....).

So that's where I'm at. Thoughts/Opinions are appreciated.

Cheers.

2. TRC-WA macrumors regular

Yes it's worth it.

128GB is just sexy.

I like being able to store thousands of songs and 20 full length movies on the phone and still have 50GB left without having to depend on cloud storage.

3. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

4. uchosen macrumors 6502

The way I see it, you're getting married and starting a family. Lots of good memories are to be had by taking pictures and videos. Spring for the larger 64GB or 128GB.

5. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I have the 64GB SG 6+ since launch and I'm very happy with it.

From your message though you want a SG 64gb iPhone 6, so that's what I'd go with. Yes, you may have to wait a little bit longer, but to me I'd just go for what I really want rather then pay more or get something that's not my first choice.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

to be honest if apple did have a 32GB option it would be $100 more than the 16GB do think of the 64GB as a great deal and not apple being dicks

7. nilk macrumors 6502a

If you record a decent amount of video, it certainly helps to have the larger size. Yes, you can offload videos to your computer or cloud storage or whatever, and then delete them off your phone to make space, but the more space you have the better. It's nice to be able to have a lot of videos on your phone to look back at, and maybe even edit things together in iMovie for iOS.

You say you are starting a family. If that means you may be having your first child while you still own this iPhone, you should absolutely get the 128GB, and 64GB is the minimum. My son is almost 2 yrs old, and me and my wife both have 64GB iPhones and we are both constantly running out of space due to video. I have a 128GB SG iPhone 6 arriving today :)

8. MacTechnics macrumors 6502

Go for the 128. I originally got a 6+ 16GB and went to try to exchange for a 64GB 6+. All I could get was a 128GB 6+ and got it anyway. Can't ever have too much space. Also if you already are willing to spend $100 more for 64GB, what's $100 extra at that point if the only available option is 128.

9. lyceumHQ macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

It may be worth calling your local store. My cousin wanted a 64gb 6 in gold and was using the stock checked a few times a day to try and reserve one. It always said out of stock.

Was in town with her on Saturday and popped I to the apple store around 7pm. She actually said to one of the guys working there 'it's completely stupid asking if there's are in stock isn't it'. To which be replied 'no, what are you after'. She walked out five minutes later with a gold iPhone 6 64gb.

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

the 6 is moving fast if you order online mine came in 6 business days

11. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

16 gb may not be enough in today's environment.

I spend the additional $100 and got the 64 gb.

Just wished apple started their line up at 32 GB, as that would have been perfect. Not too big, not too small.

12. CUHATIN macrumors regular

yeah i went with 128gb i want to put the world in my phone :D

13. AppleWarMachine macrumors 65816

AppleWarMachine

But if they did that, then they wouldn't have gotten an extra $100 from you :D

14. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

exactly I say this everytime someone says they should of started at 32GB

I would bet more than 50% of the people including me got 64GB because 16GB was not enough but 32GB would of been perfect

15. weaverra macrumors 6502

DO NOT.....I REPEAT....DO NOT GET THE 16GB. Made that mistake and fortunately was able to get T-Mobile to credit $50 to my account to offset the restocking fee. Went and traded for the 64GB. I had very limited time so I bought one of the last Gold 64's in my area for T-Mobile.

16. BMox thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha, no chance of me getting a 16gb this time round.

Cheers for the responses so far.

Never thought about going so high before in terms of storage hence the thread, but it's certainly appealing to me!

17. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Think about it this way...there are a LOT of people out there who have paid a LOT more than an extra £100 for the privelige of getting an iPhone 6 without waiting an extra week, and they aren't even getting double the storage for the money.

So it's like paying a scalper an extra £100 AND getting twice the storage.

If you need/want the phone now, it's a no brainer.

18. noiceT macrumors 6502a

16GB is a joke these days. It's pretty much a place holder to automatically bumb people to the higher price.

64GB is average.

128GB is what I got. I was struggling with my 32GB iphone 5. Only MB always left. Never again.

The extra $100 may seem big in the beginning. But so worth it down the road when you don't have to worry about downloading apps, movies, taking videos, photos.

Even apps these days, are ALOT bigger than they were before. They are getting bigger and bigger.

19. Maggiep67 macrumors regular

Maggiep67

I have never gotten anything larger than 16. And... I struggled the last year or so with every update and not having enough room for pictures or videos. More than once I had to clean up and delete stuff of the phone.

I treated myself this year and got 128. I don't think I can ever go back. If you can comfortably do it, get the 128. You won't be sorry.

20. JunBringer macrumors member

JunBringer

Heck the main reason I'm coming back to iOS is because of the 128GB (and the bigger screen of the 6+) so yeah it's a BFD. I've had a 128GB microSD card in my Sony for a bit now and it's just so great not having to worry about space.

21. rGiskard macrumors 68000

rGiskard

I went for the 64GB. 128GB is overpriced, and 16GB is barely enough for apps. But I'm very anal about transferring photos and video to my Mac, and I have hearing problems so I can't listen to music (yeah, it sucks more than I could have imagined). What works for me is not a predictor of your needs.

Obviously you want us to talk you into the 128GB model - to have this forum act as a counterweight to what your financial needs dictate. I'm not going there...

22. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I've always owned 16GB iPhone's (without ever running into storage issues) and when I was looking around to see what Apple stores had the 6 in stock, it seemed that most stores had the 128GB. I ultimately purchased that model. I was really only looking to get the 64GB, but now I'm able to store all of my music locally on my device, along with sync my Spotify playlists offline as well.

You state you're getting married and are going to start a family, so when you have a child, you are going to be taking tons of pics and videos of your kid. At minimum, I would get the 64GB, especially if you won't be upgrading for several years.

23. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I got the 64gb SG 6... it's my first iPhone larger than 16gb and it is completely liberating. I felt so restricted on 16gb, especially after iOS8. I had to trim down my apps and music. Now I have everything on my iPhone and still have about 1/2 the storage free for more stuff!

24. ayobonus macrumors regular

At first I got the 64GB 6 Plus. Returned it for the 128GB.

The way I look at it: Better to have a lot of space and not need it, rather than not having enough space and needing more :rolleyes:

25. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I agree with both of the above so I would suggest waiting for a Space Grey model in either 64gb or 128gb. You'll be much happier in the long run with that.