Storage discussion (16GB, 32GB, 64GB)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Supadoodles, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Supadoodles macrumors newbie

Supadoodles

I've seen a few threads around with specific storage questions, so I thought it might be good to have a dedicated storage thread where we can discuss how much we need for different purchases.

Myself, I'm debating between 16 and 32 GB. I only have about 5GB of music - most of which I don't even listen to - and I intend to do mostly streaming of video and not storing/buying it. However, I do intend on buying a sh*tton of apps (especially large games) and will be putting a fair amount of photos on it. I think I might be able to manage with 16 but would be more comfortable with 32, but I don't want to end up having 18GB free having wasted $100 since I'm tight on dough.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If only ideas for these kinds of threads actually worked...

3. Ausn macrumors member

If you tend to be away for longer periods I would choose the model with more space.

I can't see myself needing the 32GB because I can easily put on stuff and delete stuff every now and then.. wich takes like lets be honest 5min.

Holiday-wise its sexy to have 64gb and take just your iPad with movies/pictures etc ;)

Cheers

4. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

My first iPad was a 32GB, but this time around I have made up my mind and am going with the 16GB model. Between my 16GB iPhone and 16GB iPad, I feel that should be more than enough space to store my media for when I am on my trips.

My only debate is either the WiFi only model or WiFi + 3G. Their are a few occasions when I have gone on long trips and I was not the driver, and the entire trip I was stuck using my iPhone to go online, it would be nice to be able to use my iPad without needing to be on WiFi, but I'm not sure about the additional $130 for the device and added monthly fees.

6. jealousguy86 macrumors 6502

32 GB wifi

i'll mostly use this thing at home where i have wifi and i don't plan on putting a ton of my music on here. probably movies here and there, but mostly apps and when i start creating music on it, that'll be on there too.

7. joecatz macrumors member

I think with the home sharing thats available now in IOS 4.3, If its anything like it is in apple TV, most people are going to use considerably less storage space for music, photos, and video than they think.

I have ALMOST convinced myself that I am getting a 32G 3G instead of a 64G wifi, even though I have no plans to use the 3G data, and will still probably tether at first when necessary, Mainly because of the assisted GPS and the find my IPAD functionality, and the off chance that I end up HATING tethering to my phone in the long run.

8. No1up, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011

No1up macrumors regular

9. eacron macrumors newbie

For me its more of a question between storage and GPS. I feel the ipad is acting as a laptop alternative and therefore should be able to handle my entire itunes library (ok minus movies - but no reason why I shouldn't have all my albums). I currently have a 32Gb iphone and I've already had to take out a few albums to make space for everything. If your going on trip and you don't have your laptop I feel that the point of an ipad is a much more mobile way of carrying ALL you media around. Now I was all set on getting the 64Gb ipad (practically the same price as the 16bg 3g) until I realized that version has no GPS. Is it just me or is not useful to have a GPS on a mobile devise. Now if there is a nice GPS alternative I can use like a case for the ipad that has GPS integrated in it then great otherwise I'm stuck - I'll probably get the 16GB 3g and hope that apple stores my library in the cloud with their new mobileme thing.

10. Justin Luck macrumors regular

11. vsighi macrumors 6502

vsighi

How manny MOVIES,PICTURES,APP and SONGS you can put in a 32GB.?:confused:

12. Gryzor macrumors 6502

Oh dear... I love how people claim they are torn between "one or the other", yet clearly they explain to use that they actually really want the other, but can't afford it.

Work out each one in terms of $/GB, work out how much stuff you are going to put on there, and do the math.

13. Gofre macrumors regular

32GB wifi for me, now it's just a case of choosing between first or second gen.

14. Toiletpapers macrumors newbie

I had a 64gb iPad and a 16gb iPad, and ive decided to get a 64gb iPad 2. I don't know about you guys, but I don't like to rely on things that require Internet connections to use, and a good one on top of that to use efficiently. My 64gb ipad was stolen, and having a 16gb really limited what I could store on my iPad. 0 movies and 0 music and I'm already full. I like to think of my iPad as mobile entertainment system, and it isn't mobile when you have to worry about connecting to the internet to properly use your iPad. This time around I'm really looking forward to loading my iPad up with movies, music, photos, videos from my ipads new camera, etc.. I pretty much want my entire life on my iPad so it'll always be right there by my side whenever I need it, regardless if I have Internet or not. And not to mention, once your memory starts getting full, it felt as if my iPad went much slower. Don't know if this is true, but when I had memory left on my 64gb iPad, it felt much faster.

15. Justin Luck macrumors regular

Is it really true that the iPad slows down when it nears capacity? Anyone else experience this?

16. eacron macrumors newbie

I completely agree with you - but I don't know what to make out of not having GPS available did you feel like you missed it at all?

17. liquidsuns macrumors 6502

i have an iphone for travel and to use as an iPod, so considering that and the new Home Sharing with 4.3, I'm gonna get the 16 gig iPad.

18. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

For a device that has zero upgrade capability, the only reason not to go 64gb is strictly a financial one. If you need to save $100-200, then you need to plan ahead and pray plans don't change. Many people have been very happy and productive with 16gb. Me, I'll get the 1TB version the second it comes out.... :cool:

19. Supadoodles, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011

Supadoodles thread starter macrumors newbie

Supadoodles

Seems like you'd be able to fit a lot into a 16GB iPad, though. I've already made up a wishlist of apps, and very few of them go over about 20MB each. I really want to be able to work with a 16GB, but I don't want to be screwed over when it's full and I have to sell it and upgrade to a 32GB -- I'd like to make the right decision from the get-go.

16GB: Curate media collection (only put on what you actively listen to); do mostly streaming (few videos/movies locally); some photos; plenty of room for apps

32GB: Can handle an average collection, movies, videos, photos, apps

64GB: Holds anything you toss at it

20. vistadude macrumors 65816

How much of the 16 GB or 32 GB is actually free space?

21. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

16gb = 14
    32gb = 29

22. findnemo macrumors regular

16GB jailbroken + camera connection kit = unlimited gigs through SD cards :)

Why bother paying an extra $100 if you could spend that $100 to buy an extra 64gbs.

23. fishcube macrumors 6502

I agree about wanting Ipad to hold everything, and reason I plan to buy 64GB version. About GPS on the 3G version. Don't you need Wifi or 3G service for it to work? We don't have Verizon or AT&T service here, so that doesn't benefit us. And our Ford truck has GPS built in, so not sure Ipad GPS is needed, unless there another use for it ??

24. Toiletpapers macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 4 too, so I just use my phone for gps. I dont understand gps on the ipad. Its way too large to bring in you car and watch. My iphone has a nice mount and works perfectly for that. And to the concern with finance, think about it, the resell will be more in the end. Space fills up extremely fast, and it's nice to just not have to think too much about it. And to the jailbreak with sd card, thats just more for you to carry around when the tablet is all about being portable, and I personally want JUST the ipad to carry.

25. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

If you buy an app with preloaded maps like navicon, you dont need 3g to use the gps.