Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you like Futuer iPhones to have a micro SD card slot

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yes.

But only because I'm a WinMo convert so I got used to that feature.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Yes, since 2007. Perhaps even before that with the iPod in 2001.

128gb for $49.99 (sometimes on sale)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...ory-card-red-white/4568502.p?id=1219769554957

I got the 64gb one for $19.99 before. In two years, the 128gb will have a similar price to the 64gb right now. You can also find 200gb on sale for under $90.

But this is Apple we are talking about here. What alot of consumers may want is something Apple won't do and not right away. This upcoming $199/32gb and $299/128gb option setup will probably be milked by them for the next five more years. While 128gb sd cards may go for $12 by the time Apple makes the 128gb the $199 basic model in 2021 after Kobe Bryant and Tim Duncan get inducted into the Hall of Fame. 32gb cards go for $12 now.

Most blind, dense Apple fanatics won't find sd slot useful until Apple finally gives it to them. Always find a reason to justify Apple's feature omission until it finally arrives on iPhone. Until then, Android devices with the right apps, file manager, and sd slot make better media players than iPhones. Hope Google follows suit and brings it back for Nexus devices. Only the Nexus One had it.

Been 14 years since the first iPod and 9 years since the first iPhone. Old habits are hard to break for Apple. They love people overpaying by 5x for storage space and also has an iCloud business they want you to invest in. A zebra can't change its jail stripes. You can want a feature but don't expect it anytime soon or ever...

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I don't understand how iTunes functions analogously to an SD card.

What I am saying is Apple wants you to use iTunes to move data to your phone and would never allow us a SD card.

Just adding a ringtone has to be doen with iTunes, where other devices do not. This way Apple controls what you can put on your phone to a point.

Can you imagine Apple giving us a SD card so we do not have to buy the higher priced phones with more memory?

Just not going to happen.

Last edited:

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
What I am saying is Apple wants you to use iTunes to move data to your phone and would never allow us a SD card.

Just adding a ringtone has to be doen with iTunes, where other devices do not. This way Apple controls what you can put on your phone to a point.

Can you imagine Apple giving us a SD card so we do not have to buy the higher priced phones with more memory?

Just not going to happen.

No. Apple wants you to use cloud storage for sharing data, storing files, backups, etc.

SD cards are a legacy storage medium, a security risk, and another thing to break or lose. Not to mention another hole in the device.

Suspended
Sep 15, 2012
There is no way this will ever happen. Of course everyone wants it, but it interferes with Apple's profits.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I remember having SD Cards in my Android phones back in the day (Note 3, Samsung Tab Pro). They were nice because I could take thousands of photos without filling up the internal storage (16GB). That said, I had problems with cards becoming corrupt needing formatting, disconnecting randomly when I was trying to take photos, and I have a feeling they added to the overall lag of the camera. I remember when Android used to let you store part of an app on the SD Card. That was such a waste of time and resulted in a terrible time when an sd card died. More bother than they were worth imo.

Now, with a 128GB iPhone, I don't have to worry about storage and Google Photos is my "storage" card. I also back them up to OneDrive and my computer via iTunes WiFi sync. Out of habit from the days of my 16GB iPhone, I use the Google Photos' Free Up Space option every month or so. :p

So I voted no. I'm very happy with the way things are now with my 128GB iPhone. But, if I had a 16gb iPhone, I'd be voting yes.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Maybe.

I'm not opposed to the idea however personally I find it unnecessary.

From a technical aspect this would be a major PITA leaving a lot of customers confused and angry.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I'd settle for apple allowing external storage solutions via the lightning port. Thsis is all just software and they wouldn't even have to tweak their hardware. It likely couldn't ever be used for apps, but pictures and other such files would be great. We have similar products that utlize an app on the appstore to access the data but it's clunky and limited IMO.

wproct

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
Iowa
This is one of two of my biggest complaints about Iphones. I wish that they had expandable memory and the other is that they have a user removable and replaceable battery.

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
Call me crazy but it's a no for me. Even if the iPhone had microSD slot I would not use it at all. The iPhone currently have the fastest flash storage of any smartphone, I would rather use this and have a smooth experience than a microSD. Plus the hassle of having two separate storage, I prefer when it's simple and all in one place.

However I totally understand everyone that wish iPhone had microSD slot because Apple is charging a lot for this extra space.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I voted maybe, as I don't particularly mind there not being an SD card slot, but I can certainly see how I could be handy for some. I have been dealing with no expandable storage on my phones since 2007, and the only time that I really legitimately wished for it was on my original 4GB iPhone that I had for three years. I tend to keep my iPhone's for around three years, so I end up ponying up the extra $100 for the larger phone. Over several years, it's not too bad. Plus they make solid iPods afterwards, and the higher capacities tend to resell for a little more years down the road.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
How would Apple even go about doing this?

Use ext4 and then some 3rd party software for compatibility?

Or better yet, use HFSX like the iPhone and only Macs can write/read the SD cards?

Maybe the software/hardware layer is proprietary to the iPhone and the SD card can only be read and written to when it's in the phone? Kind of like iTunes now but extends to the SD card.

Regardless if something so basic and trivial as "what format?" poses so many questions what do you think the chances of actually seeing it implemented are?

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Yeah but it'll never happen because Apple can't engineer it in unlike Android manufacturers (who also fit in bigger batteries, better cameras IP68, wireless charging etc).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.