Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DevDave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2016
Hi, I am trying to teach myself how to make apps and I run into a problem I can't seem to figure out. Here it is. I am writting an app for the iPhone 6. But the "infered" size in the storyboard is 320 by 568, wich is for the iphone 5. This is giving me issues as when I run it on the simulator for iphone 6 there is a white gap all around my app. If I manually set the size from infered to 4.7 then the storyboard is fine and the simulator is fine too, but when I run the app on the device the image is too big for the screen (so the opposite probelm) I have checked online for the answer and most posts seem to suggest that by adding a storyboard launch image it should solve the issue. I have done this, but the infered storyboard size is still the iphone5. Is there a way to solve this? Thanks

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
Learning iOS dev keeps getting harder and harder. There's more sizes and APIs than before.

There's Autolayout, the size API as well as constraints. It takes a good while to learn all these things. I'd find a modern book that goes into the details of these things.

DevDave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2016
I understand, but I would like to do it turning off auto layout and size classes. I want to be able to do it without using them. The thing that puzzles me is that the window of the iPhone is 320 by 568 which is iPhone 5, that's even before we start talking about constraints and white space around it. My question is, is there a way (I presume there must be) to get Xcode to present an iPhone 6 sized storyboard as the "inferred" size. People say it's by adding a storyboard as a launch image but i've tried that and it doesn't solve anything. Thanks

JWalker1995

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2011
So what your saying is when you make a new UIViewController you want it to size to iPhone 6 automatically on the storyboard? then no, I don't believe that's possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.