Straight Edge People

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BigPrince, Apr 27, 2008.

1. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Just curious if there are any people who don't drink, smoke, or have casual sex.

I am a straight edge person in college and its a bit frustrating to find other straight edge people. Whats worse is that the few straight edge friends I started with have been dwindling in ranks.

The only "edge" I am still working on, is my weight.

*This thread is not at all to bash people who are not straight edge or to judge others. I'm just looking to see if there are others around my age who are straight edge.

Thanks.

2. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

I am not straight edge by any length.
    I drink and I occasionally smoke. But I have a lot of friends and coworkers who are straight edge and they don't mind my lifestyle at all. It makes good conversation piece. :D

The whole casual sex thing, I don't get into, being homosexual it is too easy to become unattached to your emotions because, in some cases, the stereotype holds true that there are indeed lots of promiscuous homosexuals who don't care about you.

But, I'm happily in a relationship so it doesn't matter to me.

To end, I have a lot of straight edge friends, and a lot of friends who aren't. I don't feel the need to base my friendship with someone whether or not they do or don't do a lot of the things that I do or don't do.

3. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Though I don't consider myself a straight edger, I don't drink, smoke, or have premarital sex.

P-Worm

4. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

Although I do not base my friendships on being straight edge or not, most of my closest friends are straight edge.

I might be wrong, but I think its only natural to get closer to people who share similar ideologies as you. At least this is the case for me, when it comes to my close friends.

5. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

so ou are saying homosexuals are just like women then?

couldnt help it:rolleyes:

6. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

Hahahaha. No. :p

7. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

I'm in High School, and by no means am I a party-goer, get-drunk/high-er, or a loser, I'm just a normal, average kid. Also means I don't go straight home to do homework too. :p

But I guess in the eyes of most I'd be straight-edge.

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

"straight-edge"??

Geeze, what is it with people giving themselves labels these days? I thought the whole idea was to get rid of the labels and just be "people."

So what am I then?

Straight.
    Drink socially
    No drugs
    Have had casual and pre marital sex.
    No piercings
    No wild hair-dos
    Neither flashy nor drab in my fashion sense

Please, somebody give me a label so I know I can belong in some group somewhere.

9. drinkingmymilk macrumors newbie

I was straight edge until I was 19. I had scholarships to play division 1 hockey and didn't want to do anything that could possibly mess them up. Then some ran into me, I am a goalie. And it tore my ACL and MCL, I lost all my scholarships, found out the girl I had been dating since Freshmen year had a side guy in Junior year and got told I may never play hockey again. I am no longer straight edge, But in the last 6 months I have come back around. Now I only drink when I watch a bruins or devils game.

10. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

It's just the way I choose to live my life and I could of just asked people who on here chooses not to smoke, drink or have casual sex...and gotten the same responses...

Just that this "label" makes things easier to explain. I am sure there are many labels you give yourself without realizing it. Are you a democrat or republican? Are you religious? You gave yourself a label of being straight....

11. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

I do classify myself as straight edge as I also follow the old fashion Minor Threat sense of being vegetarian as well.

12. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

I have slowly been working on becoming a vegetarian as well...just a slow process lol.

13. adk macrumors 68000

adk

a little reading on the Straight Edge movement: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight_edge

It's a label that straight edgers give to themselves rather than one that is placed upon them. Simply abstaining from drinking, smoking, drugs, and knocking boots does not make one a straight edge.

14. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Straight is not a label, it's my sexual orientation. It doesn't identify me to a specific group of people, it's not a choice I have made.

I just don't get this whole emo/scene/straight edge/whatever grouping people have going on. It's as though by expressing their individuality an entire group of people all look and act the same.

Too many groups is all I'm saying. People need to stop trying to box themselves in with a bunch of other people.

15. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

i agree. there is also a level of how much you are of that 'label' i am by no means straight edge, but im not way out crazy like the op is describing. im 50/50. so do you create a whole new title for me.... mid-edge...on the edge..hanging on the edge????

16. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

How do you recommend I go about seeking others who share similar characteristics to me?

17. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

i found that to be really hard in college. i found that at first you get involved in as much as you can, therefore meeting a bunch of people all from different walks of life. then i guess you focus your attention towards the once you relate to the most. bond with them and see what happens.

18. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Just hang out and meet all sorts of people. Why do you need to find people the same as you? It's far more exciting meeting people who are totally different. Sure some people you might not like but then you don't have to hang out with them.

I reckon hanging out with people who do the exact same stuff as you on a regular basis would be really boring. Sure it's OK for little bursts - like in a sports team or something but not all the time.

19. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

This has worked for me. I've gotten more and more involved in my schools honors program and helping out with sound during special events held on campus, which in turn has allowed me to meet lots of cool people.

20. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

I am just curious if there were other people like me since I meet so many people unlike me...

21. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I'm "straight edge" as its referred to. I don't drink because I don't need to do it enjoy myself plus its a waste of calories, plus I don't smoke because its not good for my asthma, nor my gym workouts. And I don't have casual sex

22. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

My ex is straight edge, and all of the people she knows are not.. so she bitches at them for drinking/smoking/screwing, and I've watched her group of friends dwindle from ~15 to 3 (including her sister).

I hate to be so ignorant, but are many straight-edge people so bi***y towards non-straight edge (that is, social drinkers, not drunks) people?

23. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

Let me preface this by saying that I'm in no-way insulting anyone that is SE and I, in fact, applaud you. I wish I had that much self control :D

I honestly didn't know SE was still active. I knew a few in high school; but most of them were just kids that got caught smoking dope or doing lines by their parents and needed something "hip" to fall back on when their stoner friends asked them if they wanted a hit. Most of the SEers I knew were pretty good company -- skateboarders mostly.

24. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

Given my age, it's probably a good thing to be 'straight edged.' :p

25. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

So you are straight edge and vegetarian.

If it helps them and doesn't affect you why does it matter?

I think as per any social group there will always be a few that take it to extremes and there have been many reports in the news of such.

My general view is that it is my own personal decision not to and it is others personal decision to. I don't impose my views on anyone.

I have been for the 6 years and it has helped me survive and that is all that matters at the end of the day.