Stranger Things (Netflix)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by b0fh666, Jul 22, 2016.

1. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

anyone digging that one?

as an 80s kid myself, I am :)

cheers

2. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

I kinda like it. I watch it before I go to bed and if it was a radio play it would have been even better. I'm an 80s kid as well so that does help but two things irk me quite some bit:

a) it's triggering nostaligia way too obvious and heavy - to a point where I almost feel cheated, especially since...

b) it blatantly lacks originality in any form or shape! I accept that mixing stuff is some form of innovation too but with every single frame or shot let alone plot line I have the impression I've seen exactly that once before. I acknowledge that this is in itself no easy feat and that this is exactly what the creators wanted to achieve but it fails imo on the most important aspect: having an original idea.

Pity, could have been great, now I will most likely watch it and forget about it. 5 episodes in so far.

3. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

This is on my watch list. I have been hearing nothing but good things about this. It was defiantly the talk of the town during San Diego Comic Con this year. Lot's of folks were talking about and saying they really liked it. Also the social media sites are really digging it also!

4. iamnotme macrumors regular

iamnotme

This could very well be my favourite show ever. I watched it as a marathon after the first episode with lots of Häagen-Dazs ice cream on the couch.

5. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

On my list to check out. Thanks! Netflix is a bargain, HBO watch out.

6. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

Episode 1 thumbs up! It has a Super 8 feel- kids, 80s, and something else... :)

[​IMG]

7. Shemlock macrumors newbie

What is your overall opinion?
    What did you like/dislike?
    Did the sitcom surprise you?
    What did you expect?
    Will you watch season 2 in 2017?

8. max2 macrumors 68000

I loved it.
    I liked everything and disliked nothing.
    It was a sitcom ?
    I expected the story to end well and it did.
    Not sure I don't want there to be a Season 2.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Sitcom? What is this about?

10. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

What did you like/dislike?
    Liked everything.
    Disliked... nothing. For real, it was perfect.

Did the sitcom surprise you?
    Sitcom?!?!?

What did you expect?
    I expected something with cheesy 80's flavors. I felt like I was in the 80s.
    I expected an awful Wynona Ryder... she was amazing.

Will you watch season 2 in 2017?
    Heck yeah.

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Haven't seen this yet but I expect I will be binge watching.

12. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

I'm surprised this thread isn't much longer. I watched this a few weeks ago and, as someone who grew up on Spielberg films, this show was incredible. The kids acting were very realistic and reminded me of my friends and I in middle school. Great kid actors. All the actors are pretty incredible and they are the stars of this series.

The writing is good, but not original. Of course if your execution is near flawless, originality isn't the end all be all and this series exemplifies that. Overall its probably one of my top 5 shows although I don't really watch TV shows much anymore, but I love this one.

13. Shemlock macrumors newbie

Agreed! IT IS TRUELY an amazing series!
    --- Post Merged, Sep 2, 2016 ---
    Sorry mate! Sitcom was the wrong word from me - I live in DK and we are taught that sitcom equals series in school - seems like this stay within me all these years after :p
    --- Post Merged, Sep 2, 2016 ---
    Mate this series is WAY better than Super 8! :O

14. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

I share your sentiments but that right there is the thing that makes me think the exact opposit: the total lack of originality is what kills the series almost instantly mid- to longterm for me.

Since it's basically nothing but a feel-good/chuckle thing I have about zero interest to go back and watch it again*, heck, there isn't even something to think about. Personally, if it weren't for the (somewhat still ongoing) hype from all the 80s "kids" I'd probably already forgotten about it. If asked in a year of five I would probably say something like: "yea, that show was entertaining..I guess.." and would forget about it right after that again because there is literally nothing there to think about. What will stay are the originals though - although I personally am not the kind to re-watch those if they can't offer me something more than nostalgic feelings.

But I'm slightly biased because all the re-makes/re-masters/re-mixes started to annoy the **** outta me! :D

* Sure, maybe I'd find another reference here or there but that wouldn't be reason for me to re-visit in itself.

15. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

About four episodes in and this feels so Super Eight, not that that's bad. Still wondering if the thing actually killed someone (Barb) or the writer is just making it look that way. No need to reveal. :)

16. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I think this nails my feelings on it perfectly. Though I was more a late 80's kid, it still came across as perfect, distilled nostalgia for me.

18. Alexander.Of.Oz macrumors 68000

Alexander.Of.Oz

Loved the first season, can't fault it. Looking forward to the next one and seeing where it goes from here.

Production wise I felt it was spot on, bringing me right on back to the 80's through the music, costumes, etc...

19. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Was skeptical of the series at first because I'm not into horror/scary shows but I was fine with it. I was hooked after the first couple of episodes. The soundtrack is awesome. While I'm a 90's kid, I loved the 80's setting, really added to the dynamic. Overall I think it's a good series and I'll likely watch season two when it comes out, since now I'm interested to see what happens to
    Will after he coughed up what looked like monster remnants

20. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

I don't want to come off as a "poser" but despite being born in the early 90s, this show really hit me on an visceral level too. There were 2 facets to the nostalgia.

the first was my experiences with my friends in middle school were very very similar to the kids. But the 2nd type was when i was a young kid (like maybe 6-9 years old?) where I watched a lot of 80s movies, not on purpose or anything its just what my parents watched i guess. But that nostalgia comes from the fact that I'm watching an 80s-like show which reminds me of being a kid watching actual 80s movies. its a pretty cool feeling.

anyway I love this show and I've been rewatching classic 80s movies (to fill the void before season 2) that I watched when i was the aforementioned age.

Also Hi Renz its good to have you back :cool:

21. Renzatic, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016

Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    You were born right in that awkward tween stage after 80's big hair extravagance was just going out of style, but before the grunge/Adidas look kicked in properly in the 90's. It was the era of MC Hammer, and day-glo EVERYTHING.

...it's probably a good thing you were too young to remember those days. Those of us who had to live through it still carry the scars. Everyone looked stupid, and we didn't know any better. It was tragic.

Of course it was only natural you'd watch 80's movies in the 90's. If there's one thing I'd ding the 90's for, it'd be the fact that it was probably one of the worst decades for movies all around. There were a handful of good flicks here and there, but for the most part, it was pretty forgettable. Especially when compared to the output of the previous 20 years.

Hey, same to you. Glad to be here. :D

edit: this thread made me remember I have this pic of me from about '84-'85 scanned in...

[​IMG]

how much wood could I chuck? I could chuck a bunch, I bet

22. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Guess I'm in the (vast) minority here. I'll see myself out..

*outch*

23. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

We're waiting for you, outside.

24. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

For anyone thinking about watching, the plot involves
    parallel universes and a research facility.

25. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

No he'll be banished to the upside-down with (gasp) no eggos. :(