Strong-arming AT&T into offering me unlimited iPad data...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SATX78209, Mar 14, 2011.

1. SATX78209 macrumors member

So, I'm contemplating calling AT&T once I receive my iPad 2 (Black, 64GB WiFi + 3G NOT SHIPPED, but ordered at 1:04 AM PST on launch day) and asking them to allow me to have a "discontinued" unlimited data plan. My iPhone has the grandfathered unlimited plan and I wouldn't mind paying more for unlimited ($30 for the iPad). I want the postpaid billing option but I'm too afraid of going over the 2GB limit. I have had success in getting my way with them in the past. I've also heard/read hints that they plan to bring the plan back in the future...

On an unrelated note, I've heard that AT&T will start capping U-Verse internet at 250GB...

2. tracerhawk macrumors member

tracerhawk

Let us know how it goes, and if successful, what you said. :D I doubt they'll do it, but you never know unless you try!

3. SATX78209 thread starter macrumors member

Agreed. I also know a few big wigs in Dallas and one that just moved back to San Antonio. I'll see what I can do but I want unlimited! And I don't want to tether it my iPhone via the hotspot feature in iOS 4.3 because then I would have to give up my unlimited iPhone data plan. :eek:

4. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Absolutely zero chance this works

Many others have tried it and all have failed unless they fit into any of the applicable areas that AT&T allows.

You dont

5. pintnight macrumors 6502

Jailbreak your iPhone, buy/install MyFi to have your personal hotspot. Problem solved.

6. war eagle macrumors 6502a

Exactly. MyWi has gotten so good that whenever your iPad wakes it connects to your phone.

7. mantan macrumors 68000

Yeah, good luck with that. Hopefully you're 'strong arm' argument is more compelling than the 'I want this, I don't want that and I know a big wig' you shared here...which sounds more like the immature argument of a child not getting their way than a reason why AT&T should treat you differently than they've treated their other customers.

But hey, everybody feels like they should be the exception. Maybe it'll work out for you....

8. svenn macrumors 6502

unrelated much?
    [​IMG]

oh yeah, good luck with that. I'd love to hear the results. Or even better, a recording of that conversation

9. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

I highly doubt it works

That said - if you've been a loyal AT&T customer with your iPhone, then give it a try - I would request to speak with a manager of some sort first though

10. Middiebear macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Please do not waste your nor the CSR that you speak with time by trying to get the unlimited plan...

Nobody can do it; not even manager... Even if a CSR was willing to create a case just to get you off the phone it would be denied.

CSRs that deal with postpaid accounts don't even have access to the unlimited plan soc code in the billing system to provision the plan onto a customer's account.

Whining, complaining, and giving the CSR a hard-time will not get you anywhere... If it were possible for a CSR to give customers the plan they'd love to do it of it meant getting you off the phone as fast as possible...

11. rkahl macrumors 65816

They did it for me, but it was only 1-2 weeks after they got rid of the unlimited plan. I told AT&T I had to use my iPad with Skype for my phone in my office because my iPhone 4 was dropping calls to the point of it not being usable.

12. nicegoogly macrumors regular

nicegoogly

I recently tried when Best Buy replaced my year old 64Gb wifi with a 64 gb 3G. I have two unlimited iPhones for since they came out and I pay about $250.00 a month. I had to buy a microcell which was worse with the dropped calls and there is a huge history of dropped calls in my records (they volunteered that information). Customer Retentions claimed it was the handsets on my account. They were both replaced a total of five times since The June iPhone 4 launch. I said stop insulting me. Then I went for it. Gimme unlimited data, please, for my iPad 3G. After 45 minutes of no, he gave me a $30.00 credit for the next six months on my text messaging. He then offered me free Android phones. I have one for my law office and other than the message notifications, they are eh. Just like his offer to shut me up. Eh. I hope they reinstate unlimited data.

13. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Right. I have heard of several 1-2 weeks after being given but I consider that to have been a special circumstance in which AT&T knew that they had to appease those who recently signed on THINKING they had unlimited.

Now? Not a chance

14. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Ugh, so does that mean they'll do something magical for you? I'd doubt that very much!

15. tekniklyrawly macrumors member

They did it for me

Look they did it for me , but let me tell you what happened
    I was in this town called Belle Chase Louisianna for 3 months working at Chevron Refinery. While there my unlimited plan expired since obviously I was not paying for it, there was no T-mobile service(iPhone4) so, (I KNOW THIS SOUNDS STUPID) but I never was able to check my email and I never tried to turn on my iPad1, see we were working 14 hour 7 day shifts, so even though I love Mac and iDevices; the ipad was the last thing on my mind
    I would get back to the motel and i would just crash(BTW no wifi at rundown motel) long story short..when the job ended and I left then as soon as I entered NewOrleans area my service came back, checked my email, and saw AT&T's email (60 days old)@ my service being discontinued. Called them up, and right then and there after a little back and forth and CSR speaking to some upper level manager I guess, within the iPad's account manager, they told me login to my account and start the process of buying the 2GB plan but at the end do press SUBMIT, she said close it, re-open it and VOILA the unlimited Plan was now available!!!after 60+ days of no service. I am dead serious my ipad only showed two plans the 200mb $19.99 i think and the 2gb plan for $25 I think, then after she did something on her END, the unlimited plan showed up on my iPad..SO THERE IS HOPE< I KNOW...IT CAN BE DONE!!!

16. kansas-cty-shfl macrumors newbie

I love your optimism but I think there is probably a less than 0% chance this works. It took me months and multiple phone calls to get them to remove international roaming from my iphone, which I don't even know how it got on my bill in the first place. Good luck with this.

17. poloponies macrumors 68030

Having your unlimited plan reinstated (even at 60 days) is a far cry from "strong-arming" them into providing new unlimited service.

18. sportster macrumors 6502

I read that on Yahoo news yesterday or the day before too. Think its starting in May, capping it at 250GB then charging for every 50GB after that...

19. jbrady3324 macrumors regular

I currently have iPhone 3gs w/ unlimited plan. I am going to call AT&T today and see if I can get the unlimited plan on my ipad 2 as well. If they say no, I am going to ship the ipad back to them and use my verizon ipad 2. They might change their minds after that

20. SATX78209 thread starter macrumors member

Let us know how it goes...

And also, I don't care if people don't think I can do it. I'm going to try. Just because a company says they no longer offer a service or product doesn't mean they don't. Everyone knows that best clothes at clothing store are in the back room, not the front. Knowing an insider always helps, especially in Texas.

21. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Please do everyone else that lives in Texas a favor and stop giving people ammunition against us. Thanks

22. SATX78209 thread starter macrumors member

They can have as much ammunition as they want. Texans always have more.:D

23. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

If it could be done, it would have been done.

24. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

Doesn't strong-arming imply you actually have some strength/leverage?

You have "Appointment" Syndrome. You know, when parents get to a place with a long line and try and cut everyone because "we have an appointment!" and then raise a fuss, and the kid grows up with that sense of entitlement? You sound like that kid.

25. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

The title to this thread cracks me up. Anyways, good luck and I hope nobody loses their job over this.