Student ADC Program

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Vivid.Inferno, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Vivid.Inferno macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

ok. First off, I did a search and didn't find the answers to my questions. If these are stupid questions I aplogize. Now to the relevant info.

I am a college student, and I need a new computer. I want a MBP with the new Cinema display. Now I want to get it for the cheapest possible. Enter the ADC Student Program.

Now I don't think I full understand the ADC program. I know I need to pay $100 to sign up. Upon paying the $100, I get an activation code in an email. I sign in, put the activation code in, then fax them a copy of my student card, and my timetable. Is that it? If so, how long does this entire process take (and can it be done on the weekend)?

Next step, is there something I need to do to qualify for the ADC? Do I need to do anything else other then being a student? Is there something hidden I'm missing?

Third, I order online, does it tell me the discount upon checkout?

I think that's it, but it's also 1:15 in the morning, and I'm sure I'll think of something later.

Thanks to everyone who supplies helpful/informative posts.

Mike

P.S. I really need answers fast. I need a new laptop very very soon because my Toshiba is basically KOA. With the ADC program I can get the High End 15" MBP full loaded for less then the fully loaded low end MBP with just the student discount.

2. Darth Cow macrumors newbie

3. Vivid.Inferno thread starter macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

Yes thank you. I did read that, and I have the Canadian store bookmarked.

But is there some qualification I need to have other then a student? That's my concern is that I'm missing something, I'll sign up for it, and realize there was something I didn't know, and then be SOL.

4. Darth Cow macrumors newbie

You should be able to fill out a form with your development interests, but there's nobody checking up on you to make sure you really write programs for OS X. I know people from my undergrad school who pulled this off without any trouble.

In fact, I just bought a student ADC membership last night. I didn't get around to faxing in my confirmation until 3pm this afternoon so it hasn't been activated yet, but I'm hoping I'll be able to order tomorrow. I study physics and do some computational work so I could plausibly claim I'm a "developer" of sorts but from everything I've seen and heard that's not necessary.

Referring to your earlier question, I would say there are pretty good odds that nobody would process one of these applications on a weekend but I really don't know. Someone in the states or Canada has to process that fax and they probably work 9-5 since Apple clearly doesn't feel they need to be especially time sensitive for this stuff.

5. Vivid.Inferno thread starter macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

Haha. Did you get an email asking you to fax it? I haven't been asked to fax anything yet. I know we have to, but haven't been told when/where to fax it. I bought mine lastnight, and I did the activation code online and all that. I really wasn't sure what to put into the Business/Organization, so I just put ym stepdads business lol.

6. GangstaMac macrumors newbie

I believe your organization should be your school

Here is the verification/ fax info:

Student Membership

How do I verify my student status so my ADC Student Membership can be activated?

After you purchase an ADC Student Membership and receive an Activation Code via email, you must verify your student status before ADC will activate your product. The verification steps are:

Visit the ADC Member Site to confirm that you are a student in your ADC Profile. After you click the Student Status checkbox, you must also provide your student ID number and school name.
    Proceed to the Activations area in the ADC Member Site and use the Code you received via email to start the Activation process.
    Fax a copy of your passport or other official identification (such as a driver's license or student identification) along with a current or upcoming course schedule or other official proof of enrollment from your college/university.

North America: 1-408-974-7683
    Europe: 44 (0) 131-458-6988
    Australia: 61 2-8223-9347
    Hong Kong: 800-908-212
    Japan: 81-3-3570-8075
    Singapore: 1-800-2775-3248

Your Student Membership will not be considered Active and you will not receive any Student member benefits until your verification fax is received by ADC. If you need assistance, or a local fax number is not available in the list below, please contact ADC.

Note that the ADC Student Membership does not include code-level technical support, access to pre-release software, or use of the ADC Compatibility Labs and students may not be transferred these benefits by others. If your development requires such benefits, please consider purchasing an ADC Select Membership instead.

7. Darth Cow macrumors newbie

After faxing in my information yesterday afternoon, I got a confirmation email notifying me that my ADC assets had been updated this morning at 6:38am California time. My order for a new MBP just went in.

8. Vivid.Inferno thread starter macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

They didn't send anything asking you to fax it in? You just sent it?

9. Darth Cow macrumors newbie

Yep, I just sent it in. It seems like that is what you should do.

10. jhu2 macrumors member

did you just fax them your schedule, and student id?

11. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

screen shot

can someone please take a screen shot of what the prices of a mb and mbp would be if i joined.

12. boatski macrumors regular

I just pulled some prices as I am considering doing this.
    Here's what I plan on buying and the total price.

2.53GHz MBP
    250GB 7200RPM HDD -$40
    VGA Adapter +$26
    MobileMe Subscription +$69.99

2.4GHz MB
    250GB 5400RPM HDD
    VGA Adapter +$26
    MobileMe Subscription +$69.99

ADC MBP Price:
    $2,150.99

ADC MB Price:
    $1,768.99

13. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

the mb price does not make any sense it is more than the normal price

14. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

that's what i was thinking. is there going to be any savings by joining this program for those looking to purchase the normal MB?

15. boatski macrumors regular

if you read my post....

anyways, for those who don't read everything:
    Don't forget to add $100 to these prices.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Vivid.Inferno thread starter macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

17. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

i still dont think that is quite right the whitebook is more than the normal one what country is that link from. and also for the most part the prices are higher than the education store.

18. unitethenations macrumors member

19. Vivid.Inferno thread starter macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

The best savings are on the Pros, from my understanding.

20. Hissori macrumors member

There must be a catch to this ADC program, or else everyone would just sign up one year, do nothing, and get the discount... I don't think I understand this completely could someone please explain? Can you just pay 100 dollars for the student membership, do absolutely nothing], and just get the discount?

Do they even require you to do anything? And do you have to be qualified to do this. i don't have a single computer course in my transcript and im not taking any computer courses at all. Can i take advantage of this? thanks.

21. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It doesn't work when you link directly to it. You can't do that.

I believe you need to have at least one course, even if you're not going into the field. You also have to prove that you are a student of a college or university.

22. maxhk macrumors newbie

Could anyone please check the UK prices after the ADC student discount ?

Is it lower than the price after HE discount?

Thanks.

23. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

uk To receive your discount, orders must be placed through a sales agent, not directly through an online store. When preconfiguring, your selections will show retail price. Discounts are calculated by the sales agent and sent in your confirmation email.

24. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

go here
    http://developer.apple.com/membership/usa.html
    then click ada hardware purchase program

just register for the first computer science class do the activation and drop the class before the semester starts.