Students Stop Moaning!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MadDoc, Oct 16, 2007.

1. MadDoc macrumors 6502

MadDoc

OK, I've had just about enough of people moaning about the "increase" in the edu price of Leopard.

First of all $129 (US), $159 (AUD) and £85 for the single-user license for Leopard is a bargain. It is no more expensive than Tiger (it is actually cheaper in some countries) and just try to get a non-upgrade version of Vista for that price.

I know some of you feel agrieved that Apple have "increased" the price for student versions of the OS to $116 (US) from $69 (US) but I would like to point out two things. Firstly, Apple has never set a price-point for Leopard. It is NOT Tiger and Apple are free to sell it for as much as they like. Secondly, if you are so poor that you cannot afford the additional $44 (US) then why, might I ask, do you have a nice shiny MBP and probably an iPod, and maybe an aTV? Thirdly, This is Apple. They are not a faceless capitalist company but they do need to make some money. I mean, they had to delay Leopard for 6 months!

Finally, if you still think it is too expensive, why not buy a family pack with 4 other mates at Uni - that way it works out at only $40 (US) (that's what I used to do when I was at Med School (thus I know what it's like to be broke!).

Just my two cents,

MadDoc

2. projectle macrumors 6502

Oh, come on!

You love it when young college kids moan!

3. MadDoc thread starter macrumors 6502

MadDoc

4. dranakin macrumors 6502

Students can get Vista for $10.

Personally, I'm not "aggrieved" but rather its a noticeable set back that would make me think twice before ordering.

No one is asking for a handout - I think we're all aware that Apple Inc. is a for-profit multinational company. We're all still customers and dollar signs to them.

Because it's a violation of Terms and Conditions?

5. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

I totally agree, and I'm a student. I have multiple Macs so I bought the family pack, NOT because I think I won't be able to install it on multiple comps without it, but because I want to support Apple.

Since Tiger, Macs have totally exploded onto the college campus scene. I can understand why Apple is second-guessing its approach to letting all of these customers get away with lower prices.

I agree, the price difference isn't huge, it's a sweet OS, the people that are bitching are probably going to hit the bars October 26th and spend MORE than that on drinks and food, so stop whining. If you truly can't afford the price difference, then my wholehearted sympathies. Otherwise, stop your bitching.

Ever since the iPhone the Apple community has really become a bunch of self-righteous whiners who are never satisfied. Shame, because they're still the best products on the market. Maybe people need to spend more time on Sony computers running Windows or something.

6. Freyqq macrumors 68040

may i point out that it is cheaper on amazon with the $20 rebate they're doing on regular licenses than it is for a student discount..?

7. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

yea i agree there are alot of these ppl out there but then i start to think that even tho apple is better than the PC option, it doesnt make it flawless.

8. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

None of your arguments really matter or change anything.

As a student, I can't afford to pay over a hundred dollars for an operating system, and I won't.

Except your family pack idea is pretty good, but it breaks the license agreement because the users have to be in one household, so I might as well just buy the single-user license and split it more cheaply or even more cheaply download it off the internet.

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Many university book stores are selling Leopard for $69 under their site agreements with Apple. Personally, I think $129 for Leopard is still better than a free copy of Vista.

10. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

I wish my university bookstore was doing that :(

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

12. oceanmonster macrumors regular

My university bookstore is doing the same exact thing. $69 at the bookstore.

If you are a student at a university, wait and see if your bookstore has it before going to the apple store.

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Sadly some universities out source textbook sales to third parties.

14. haiggy macrumors 65816

I'm a student and I bought it for $115 online. I couldn't stand listening to the other students complaining in the "Leopard Announced Thread" and their logic for just ditching the whole idea of paying for it and downloading it illegally because it is $47 more. Ridiculous. If you can't afford it, don't buy it. Cut back on something else and pay the price it costs for you to get it. Ask your parents for early Christmas money or something... geez :(

15. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

I don't think it's so much that it's too expensive as it is the amount it was raised. I wasn't expecting a $50 increase...I could see maybe a $25 or $30 increase but I was shocked to see it go up that much.

Nevertheless, I'll still buy it. Now I just gotta figure out if I want to get an external hd to go with it for time machine.....

16. Bmoney017 macrumors member

Hmmm earlier today it was listed at $69, but now when I checked, the price was up to $116. Oh well...

Wait this is confusing. On the university's computer store website, it says it will be $69, but when I go into apple.com and look up the university it says $116. Good thing that they will be selling it on campus for $69

17. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I agree

I'm a graduate student and the higher edu price didn't even make me blink. I want leopard and am willing to pay a reasonable price for it. and i think the price is reasonable. Apple does not have to provide a student discount. We are luck we are getting anything.

People on these threads always find something to piss and moan about.

18. dranakin macrumors 6502

Whoa, my other post seems to have been deleted from this thread.

But yeah, I called my campus computer store and they said they'll be selling it at $69.

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

first off when you buy Leopard you are buying an Upgrade copy so do not compare the prices with the non upgrade verison of vista.

The reason it is an upgrade it is impossible to install the Leopard on anything other than a Mac. All Mac come with a previous version of OSX on them or did at some point in time. THis means you owned a copy of the OS and you are upgrading it.
    XP I know for a fact I can install it on a blank hard drive with an upgrade disk. All I have to provide it is key from a previous version on windows and it is good to go.

It more the 50% + increase in price for students hurts and is very unexpected. Heck everyone would e up in arms if the price everyone had to pay went up 47 bucks. Everyone having to pay 180 for the OSX. Come on people attacking the students how would all you feel if the price for it was 180.

Apple is going to have a massive increase the OS being pirated over this price increase. That much I can promise you.

20. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

Sounds like someone's just getting old (and senile). Just my 2 cents.
    -An 18 year old with a nice shiny new mbp and ipod :)

21. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

No one is attacking the students. I am a student. The price did not increase because it was never released. Tiger is different from leopard. Times are a changing my Friend. If you can't afford it don't buy it.
    Go install your full version of XP then!

22. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I think it is a mistake to raise the student price so high. This is Apple's future user base. They could be alienating life-long users.

Sure, Leopard is still a good deal, but students felt they were being treated special with such a generous discount. Now, not so much.

23. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

This is just a form of sticker shock, that's all.

Apple software prices remain realatively constant (both regular and student prices). People were a bit shocked when iWork's price jumped but most rationlized it was because you were getting an extra program than the previous version. This caught everyone a bit more off guard.

People will get over it. I cursed a few times but then forked over my money ($16 after the iphone credit, so I can't complain too much). Its just a pain when you budget expecting one thing and then have to shift, regardless of the price.

24. weaverra macrumors regular

This is a full version. Apple doesn't ever do upgrades on an OS. If you had a box retail version you could install it on a empty hard drive with out any previous version.

25. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

With US dollar's value going down like a rock, some prices are bound to increase. I wish Leopard was a free upgrade, but hey it is not, so I live with it. You don't have to upgrade afterall.

Some people have serious entitlement issues.