Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
Has anyone had issues downloading/installing the new firmware update for the Studio Display?

I just set up My M1 Max with the new Studio Display yesterday evening. When completed I noticed there were 2 updates. The OS update 12.3.1 and the Studio Display firmware update. 12.3.1 installed just fine. The display firmware failed to update. A message popped up that said firmware update failed try again in an hour, if the problem persists contact an Apple service provider. I have tried several times in the last 12 hours with no luck. I have unplugged the thunderbolt cable and reattached, restarted everything and still no luck.

If anyone has had this issue or any ideas I would appreciate any feedback. I will most likely wait until tomorrow and contact Apple Support. I've just never had an issue like this with firmware. The status bar loads 75% of the way then the message pops up.

Reactions: tdbrown75

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
On launch day, the Mac Studio did not have 12.3.1 available but did have the Studio Display update which I applied.

Are you connected via wireless ?

I used wired LAN connection and just did the 12.3.1.

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
On launch day, the Mac Studio did not have 12.3.1 available but did have the Studio Display update which I applied.

Are you connected via wireless ?

I used wired LAN connection and just did the 12.3.1.
I am connected via wireless. Never had an issue updating through wireless connection. I have very fast and stable wireless connection through my house. I updated to 12.3.1 perfectly. The firmware update is there with the update button. Just won't go through with the update.

smr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Shropshire, UK
Has anyone had issues downloading/installing the new firmware update for the Studio Display?
Yes, I have the same problem. My Mac Studio Max arrived earlier today and the 12.3.1 macOS update went well but I get an error trying to install the 15.4 update on my Studio Display. I have shutdown, unplugged and rebooted the system but still get the error.

1649434609012.png

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
Yes, I have the same problem. My Mac Studio Max arrived earlier today and the 12.3.1 macOS update went well but I get an error trying to install the 15.4 update on my Studio Display. I have shutdown, unplugged and rebooted the system but still get the error.

View attachment 1988491
Exactly! My same message. Thank you for this as now I know it's not just me. Hopefully we have a fix for this soon or at least an answer.

smr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Shropshire, UK
Exactly! My same message. Thank you for this as now I know it's not just me. Hopefully we have a fix for this soon or at least an answer.
I'm also pleased I'm not the only one, but I was surprised that your post on here is the only place I can find that mentions this issue. Odd it is the same day - perhaps a server issue on Apple's side? And have you contacted Apple support yet?

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
I'm also pleased I'm not the only one, but I was surprised that your post on here is the only place I can find that mentions this issue. Odd it is the same day - perhaps a server issue on Apple's side? And have you contacted Apple support yet?
I was thinking the same thing. I searched everywhere to see if anyone else was having issues. I was thinking since yours happened within the same day it may be server issues as well.

I have not contacted Apple yet as I was up late last night setting the new system up and had to be at work early this morning. I'll have to set some time aside for the call as Apple support calls tend to be lengthy. I plan on calling sometime tomorrow or Sunday. I will post my findings. Please post back if you find anything else in the meantime.

smr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Shropshire, UK
I was thinking the same thing. I searched everywhere to see if anyone else was having issues. I was thinking since yours happened within the same day it may be server issues as well.

I have not contacted Apple yet as I was up late last night setting the new system up and had to be at work early this morning. I'll have to set some time aside for the call as Apple support calls tend to be lengthy. I plan on calling sometime tomorrow or Sunday. I will post my findings. Please post back if you find anything else in the meantime.
I agree re: Apple support calls tend to be lengthy! Everything else is working so I'm also inclined to leave it a couple of days in the hope it is a server issue and will 'sort itself out' soon. I will post back here with any updates.

To anyone else who lands here with this problem, please let @izzle22 and me know by posting below!

MitchellB

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2006
Riverside, CA
Same issue with brand new Mac and display last night and this morning. I decided to take the 'long wait' approach and called Apple support. Also, this forum is the only place that seems to be reporting the issue at time. Odd.

We ran diagnostics, started up in Safe Mode, ensured the disk was mounted correctly and various other things. Nothing helped. My support agent said there were no issues on Apple's side and all she could do was set up an appointment for me to bring my display to the Apple Store and have service deal with it, hopefully send out a replacement. There are none in stock until May. This is not an acceptable answer.

I have another display that is still in the box and I was going to try to update it. Now that I've seen this thread, I'm going to wait a day or two.

I suspect it is on Apple's side.

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
Same issue with brand new Mac and display last night and this morning. I decided to take the 'long wait' approach and called Apple support. Also, this forum is the only place that seems to be reporting the issue at time. Odd.

We ran diagnostics, started up in Safe Mode, ensured the disk was mounted correctly and various other things. Nothing helped. My support agent said there were no issues on Apple's side and all she could do was set up an appointment for me to bring my display to the Apple Store and have service deal with it, hopefully send out a replacement. There are none in stock until May. This is not an acceptable answer.

I have another display that is still in the box and I was going to try to update it. Now that I've seen this thread, I'm going to wait a day or two.

I suspect it is on Apple's side.
That is very discouraging. What I was afraid of hearing when I call. There is 3 of us now and I'm sure more. I can't believe this is a hardware issue, just doesn't make sense. Has to be an issue on Apple's side with a sever problem or something. Support agents a lot of times don't have information about server issues if it's something that has just occurred. Considering the 3 of us had the same issue within a 24 hour period I'm hopeful it's something that will be resolved soon.

Last edited:

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
I'm not sure what the firmware update actually did and if it's worth the effort...but I wonder if you could create a separate APFS volume, download and install the full 12.3 installer (12.3 did work with the 15.4 display firmware update), and boot into that volume to do the firmware update

smr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Shropshire, UK
I'm not sure what the firmware update actually did and if it's worth the effort...but I wonder if you could create a separate APFS volume, download and install the full 12.3 installer (12.3 did work with the 15.4 display firmware update), and boot into that volume to do the firmware update
I seem to recall that Software Update tried (and failed) to run the Studio Display firmware update before it upgraded macOS to 12.3.1 from (I presume) 12.3, so I'm not convinced that will work.

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
I seem to recall that Software Update tried (and failed) to run the Studio Display firmware update before it upgraded macOS to 12.3.1 from (I presume) 12.3, so I'm not convinced that will work.
Correct. Mine was having this issue before and after I installed 12.3.1.

I really do believe this is a sever issue as it won't even finish downloading. It never even makes it to the point of asking to restart for installation. I think if it was the actual display or even the Studio the problem would be during actual installation.

I would really like to see if there has been anyone in the last 24 hours that's been able to install this firmware. Then I will rule out server issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpotOnT

enricoclaudio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2017
Correct. Mine was having this issue before and after I installed 12.3.1.

I really do believe this is a sever issue as it won't even finish downloading. It never even makes it to the point of asking to restart for installation. I think if it was the actual display or even the Studio the problem would be during actual installation.

I would really like to see if there has been anyone in the last 24 hours that's been able to install this firmware. Then I will rule out server issues.

It's most definitely an Apple server issue. I just came back from the Apple Store as I was comparing Standard Glass with Nano Texture and while there I asked one of the Genius Bar guys (very friendly guy, BTW) to update the firmware in one of the two demo ASDs and the firmware update failed in front of us LOL. The Mac Studio driving the ASD was running 12.3.1.

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
It's most definitely an Apple server issue. I just came back from the Apple Store as I was comparing Standard Glass with Nano Texture and while there I asked one of the Genius Bar guys (very friendly guy, BTW) to update the firmware in one of the two demo ASDs and the firmware update failed in front of us LOL. The Mac Studio driving the ASD was running 12.3.1.
Thanks for this. This confirms the server scenario.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Is it possible to delete the update file already downloaded by your Mac and initiate another download? Problems like these usually involves a corrupted download or server verification issue.

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
I never had to firmware update a monitor via wifi. Why can't Apple make downloadable pkg file for the Studio Display, you know like EVERY other monitor out there!

"it just works". So stupid.

Reactions: IllinoisCorn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.