Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Isn’t the problem that this display runs iOS?

iOS 15.4 is no longer being signed by Apple. Which means you can’t download that version.

The Studio Display is not currently getting iOS 15.4.1 for whatever reason, so I’m assuming it’s stuck for the time being until Apple pushes a new version to it.
How does that explain why some people have been able to install the 15.4.1 update on their Studio Display? And if 15.4.1 isn't intended for the Studio Display, users shouldn't be shown an alert saying an update is available. It's also unclear what 15.4.1 does for the display. For iOS, it was mostly about patching security vulnerabilities. Does that apply to the Studio Display too?

Anyway, there's a lot for Apple to clean up here.

Reactions: dwsolberg

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016
How does that explain why some people have been able to install the 15.4.1 update on their Studio Display? And if 15.4.1 isn't intended for the Studio Display, users shouldn't be shown an alert saying an update is available. It's also unclear what 15.4.1 does for the display. For iOS, it was mostly about patching security vulnerabilities. Does that apply to the Studio Display too?

Anyway, there's a lot for Apple to clean up here.

I haven’t seen any reports of anyone installing iOS 15.4.1 on their ASD. Where have you seen this?

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
Isn’t the problem that this display runs iOS?

iOS 15.4 is no longer being signed by Apple. Which means you can’t download that version.

The Studio Display is not currently getting iOS 15.4.1 for whatever reason, so I’m assuming it’s stuck for the time being until Apple pushes a new version to it.
This seems most likely to be correct. I know these things happen, but it makes Apple look bad. It's probably a privacy issue within Apple, and the groups who should have planned this out didn't know about each other.

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016
Maybe I'm mistaking what this post was about, but it seems as if the update was successful on another Mac:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/studio-display-firmware-issue.2341083/#post-31009591

Ah gotcha! I think that poster was was installing iOS 15.4 (I don’t think 15.4.1 is available for the ASD yet).

I have no idea what happened there or why it worked for that user. They didn’t mention how long ago they tried to do the update, so my first guess is that they got it to work while Apple was still signing 15.4? From other comments it sounds like using a different machine does not solve the problem.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Display Firmware Version: Version 15.4 (Build 19E241); Before apple stopped signing 15.4 ( a week +ago)
OK, thanks. I mistakenly thought you had installed the newer update. Hopefully, Apple will get this sorted out soon. Or at least before my SD arrives. :)

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
Could it be an Apple Silicon vs Intel issue?
Nope. I successfully did the update to Display Firmware 15.4 (Build 19E241) a while ago using an M1 Pro MBP connected via Ethernet. At the time I did the update (I'm thinking it was within days of getting the Studio Display), my MBP was running v 12.3 not 12.3.1 of Mac OS. So it's not Apple Silicon vs Intel because my Apple Silicon MBP did the update fine.

Maybe it's because the folks who are having problems had already updated to Mac OS 12.3.1. Or maybe it's only a problem for folks downloading the update via WiFi. Or maybe it's simple a server issue as others have suggested.

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
Nope. I successfully did the update to Display Firmware 15.4 (Build 19E241) a while ago using an M1 Pro MBP connected via Ethernet. At the time I did the update (I'm thinking it was within days of getting the Studio Display), my MBP was running v 12.3 not 12.3.1 of Mac OS. So it's not Apple Silicon vs Intel because my Apple Silicon MBP did the update fine.

Maybe it's because the folks who are having problems had already updated to Mac OS 12.3.1. Or maybe it's only a problem for folks downloading the update via WiFi. Or maybe it's simple a server issue as others have suggested.
Nope on both. It failed even before I updated to 12.3.1 while I was on 12.3. I also tried via ethernet as well with no luck. This is an Apple server issue that they have still not resolved from the looks of it.

roger7

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2016
Central Oregon
It appears that Apple is working on the problem. Now I no longer get the TRY LATER IN ONE HOUR message and my Studio computer goes into 60 second countdown for RESTART to install. When the countdown completes, a few noises can be heard from the Studio Computer box but nothing happens. No normall shutdown and re-start. After 15 min, I went to ABOUT MY MAC and selected manuel shut-down. It did not shut down as if it is in update mode. Appears to be trying to update but some connection problem with Apple server? Just one hour ago, I was still getting the TRY IN ONE HOUR message. Now just waiting for something to happen. It appears that the only way I can shut-down the Studio Computer is to do a force quit which I am reluctand to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: izzle22

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
Nope on both. It failed even before I updated to 12.3.1 while I was on 12.3. I also tried via ethernet as well with no luck. This is an Apple server issue that they have still not resolved from the looks of it.
Thanks for the additional details. It's good to know what variables have been ruled out.

MrMacintoshBlog

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Chicago, IL
Can someone try again, I just checked the signing status and got this iOS 15.4 for device Appledisplay2,1 IS being signed!

I'm still trying to figure out the tsschecker for AppleDisplay2,1

Reactions: SpotOnT

roger7

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2016
Central Oregon
Still accepts command to UPDATE NOW and countdown to re-start and install occurs but nothing happens after the countdown. Trying to do update of display iOS to 15.4.

UPDATE TO 15.4 for Studo Display NOW SUCCESSFUL and verified. Solution was to execute FORCE QUIT ftom the ABOUT MY COMPUTER menu. That started the update process without a force quit.

Last edited:

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
It appears that Apple is working on the problem. Now I no longer get the TRY LATER IN ONE HOUR message and my Studio computer goes into 60 second countdown for RESTART to install. When the countdown completes, a few noises can be heard from the Studio Computer box but nothing happens. No normall shutdown and re-start. After 15 min, I went to ABOUT MY MAC and selected manuel shut-down. It did not shut down as if it is in update mode. Appears to be trying to update but some connection problem with Apple server? Just one hour ago, I was still getting the TRY IN ONE HOUR message. Now just waiting for something to happen. It appears that the only way I can shut-down the Studio Computer is to do a force quit which I am reluctand to do.
I finally got the update on mine. 10 minutes ago.

Reactions: tdbrown75

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
Still accepts command to UPDATE NOW and countdown to re-start and install occurs but nothing happens after the countdown. Trying to do display iOS update to 15.4.
When the restart countdown started for me I just hit restart from the countdown window instead of waiting. It restarted immediately. Then the 3 dots came up on the monitor and a notice it was updating and not to unplug it. Took about 8 minutes to go through the whole process.

Last edited:
Reactions: tdbrown75

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
So it seems that when Apple stopped signing iOS 15.4 they forgot about the Studio Display so none of you who tried to install the update last week could get the iOS update signed by Apple.

phoenixbt

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2015
Yup mine updated just fine this morning too. I've had the update sitting there for a few days, but I waited after seeing this thread. Thanks all for confirming!

jacklivehere

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2014
Utopia
Any news on. Webcam fix firmware update? I was hoping they will release today with 15.4.1 for studio display, but nothing so far.

Studio display needs webcam fix badly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.