Studying from tablet/screen vs. printed materials

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by hajime, Mar 2, 2014.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hi, I know that more and more people are into ebook due to the popularity of tablets. For me, I found it easier to recall the materials when I study from printed materials rather than from ebook/things written on the computer screen. Is this normal? How about you guys/girls?

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

OMG! It's horribly abnormal:eek:

Seek help immediately!

OK...I couldn't help myself...

Whatever works for you is fine...why worry about it? Some people learn better through auditory input, some better with visual in put.

You find printed materials work best for you...so use printed material if it works best for you. The only thing that is important is that you are able to study your material comfortably.:D

;)

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I find that I can awkwardly lie down in my bed and study with my iPad more easily than I can with my book. Although, that almost always fails as I fall asleep.

4. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

I still prefer...

Printed myself. For studying and reading, nothing tops print for me.

5. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Whatever works best for you OP is what you should do regardless of what others are doing. That said, you still should be open to new ideas about studying as you may find something that works even better for you.

7. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I love having my books on my ipad if i can, you can highlight and save your notes in a chapter and create your own study guide.

8. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I remember stuff better from any computer or tablet. When I study with paper I'm contanly distracted because I like to study in bed and if I move the paper gets a huge shadow on it. So I'm contanly uncofterable so I tried studying where I do my homework and then I sat back in my chair and picked up the paper and a shadow on my paper. I also have the same problem with books. It's not a problem that I can't see the words it's just I want it in the light. Tables and computers make their own light so I don't have this problem.

9. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

I also travel a lot. I hope to be able to have all these pdf documents with me. Of course, that is impossible and heavy. I am considering the following approach:

1. Print out the materials and study. Highlight and drop notes.
    2. After finishing studying the materials, scan the printouts as pdf.

Is there a better way?

Two issues I can think of:

1. Scanned color document seems to produce large file size. Any solution?
    2. I think I can't perform search on words after I have converted the pdf file into a scanned image file. Any solution?

Thanks.

10. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

I have tried many times to study off of screens, but I always come back to printed materials. I guess thats what I used when I was younger and I'm used to it now.

On the otherhand, if I'm studying lecture slides, I can read those off a computer screen and re-write what I need to know for the exam.

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

From a retention standpoint, makes no difference for me if I read from paper or electronic sources.

12. malman89 macrumors 68000

I prefer hard copy/print materials, but in the case of my one intro business course, I wasn't going to waste money on that textbook so I have a PDF of it.

What I found best for me is to read it through and then go back and write any notes/terms down later. It's basically a second read through and very helpful.

13. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Some people have eye strain when they read of the computer screen. How about reading from the tablet?

14. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

On the plus side, you're less likely to fall asleep when looking at a screen!..and for a longer time after you're done looking at that screen.

I don't have a tablet but prefer print to ebook on a laptop.

15. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I got 99.9% more paper cuts from printed material versus using a tablet or Kindle.

And I'm being serious. :eek:

Do you take notes at the same time as you're reading on a tablet? I tend to have both a notebook and the iPad open because I know that zooming around and looking at text and pictures doesn't get me very far otherwise. It probably doesn't work very well for our brains either.

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

And you can search your .pdf. :)

17. Andeavor macrumors 6502

It depends. If I need a quick reference, a tablet is maybe much better these days, but to really study material, I'd prefer if I could highlight some words or passages, add some notes to it, but mostly, I would write it down separately for me to memorize it better.

I work with a lot of plays/scripts, memorizing the text or adding tons of notes for direction, editing etc., so putting them on a tablet would be a nightmare, unless I redo the whole thing with all my notes and upload it to one for future reference.