Subway Refreshing Store Designs With Self-Order Kiosks That Support Apple Pay

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 17, 2017.

1. cmaier macrumors G3

I don't understand what you are saying.

Last month: Apple Pay accepted in subway
    Today: Apple Pay accepted in subway

The only difference is now you can use a non-apple-provided computer kiosk to order instead of talking to a "sandwich artist."

If subway gets new cash registers that still support Apple Pay is that also big Apple news?

2. BruiserB macrumors 65816

You can already do all of this in Subway's app at all stores (not just a test market). Then you don't have to touch a kiosk that has had others' grubby hands all over it. I love to order ahead of time and then just walk up and skip the line....although they often haven't actually made my sandwich yet. But then they scramble to do it right away and you don't have to guide them ingredient by ingredient.

Only bad part is I don't think their app actually takes in app ApplePay...you need to give them your real card info. ;-(

3. MrX8503 macrumors 68000

Self checkout is actually SLOWER than being checked out by a cashier. Self checkout is only beneficial if it's available or if the person in front of you actually know what they're doing.

The number of bodies has a larger effect on wait time than the number of items a person has. So pick the line with the least amount of bodies, whether that's self checkout or cashier.

4. snebes macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't give them that much credit. The Subways around me are now using scales to make sure they don't give you too much meat. I can understand if they wanted to ensure putting a minimum amount of meat on, but I see them taking off what amounts to a few grams of meat from my order.

This place is 100% cost driven anymore. I am sure Robot Sandwich Artists are already in the works. If not just vending machines to eliminate store fronts, too.

5. BigMcGuire macrumors demi-god

BigMcGuire

Yes, most of the restaurants I go to now have an app where you can order before hand. Jersey Mikes, El Pollo Loco, Subway, etc... I like it - saves the wait in line.

This. I don't get these things. I used one yesterday and had to sit around waiting for several long minutes for one of the reps to come by and verify I bagged everything correctly because the machine sensed extra weight in the bagging area. She didn't even verify anything, just put in her key, typed in a code, and ran off to the other misbehaving self checkouts.

What sucks is ... Target now has even FEWER manned checkout lanes than they used to thanks to these self checkouts. Out of their 20+ checkouts only one or two has a person at it.

I don't like this trend but I can see how it is inevitable.

6. tmiw macrumors 68000

This discussion sure went off the rails pretty quickly. :eek:

Honestly, I think everything's going more towards the Amazon Go model. Not having to wait in lines at all vastly beats kiosks and self-checkout machines every time for convenience (and I say this as someone who can go through self-checkout pretty quickly). We might end up skipping NFC payments entirely as a result.

Really, Apple should probably focus way more on in-app and website integration than getting NFC support enabled--at least in the US, anyway.

7. Relentless Power macrumors G4

Relentless Power

Should that stop Macrumors from reporting other articles relating to vendors (KFC, Walgreens, Starbucks) or affiliations that update their Apple Pay system as well? Does this article negate it from being Apple related news because it doesn't fit your narrative of what should be reported? That's the point.

It's still Apple related news, being Subway is is a long supporter of Apple Pay, contrary to not being related directly to Apple products or insider information, but you already acknowledged it by stating :

"Take away the Apple Pay and this story is "mediocre sandwich chain does stuff unrelated to apple."

Again, if you didn't have an Apple Pay relation to Subway, then there be no point in this article is existence, but it's still related no matter how view it, you just don't agree with it.

8. BigMcGuire macrumors demi-god

BigMcGuire

Self Order Kiosks are becoming really popular. Even here in our small town in the Californian high desert - we have a few restaurants that do this - Jack in the Box is one (not every one tho) - I found it pleasant enough minus touching a screen that a thousand other people have. Hit a few buttons, have the option for customization, bam - 2 mins later I have my burger and fries. :p

I think this is going to do wonders for Subway. Why? Keep the workers busy making subs. Anyone who frequents Subway knows that a TON of time is wasted when 1. Customers have no clue what to order and take up tons of time asking workers to verbally explain what they can easily see. 2. Employees spending a lot of time taking order information down instead of making sandwiches.

Remove that, you improve the wait time at Subway SIGNIFICANTLY.

9. pat500000 macrumors 603

pat500000

Alright! Service machine!

Edit: by the way, if a person tries to rob robot based subway, how would that person go about it? Uploading virus based program via usb?

10. Relentless Power macrumors G4

Relentless Power

I frequent Subway quite a bit. Interestingly enough, the subways that I have visited lately, even have signs asking customers to remain off their cell phones while ordering. Because even while trying to place their orders, they are distracted by their phones and holding up the lines and it takes an inordinate amount of time to make a simple sub because somebody's distracted by their phone or doesn't know what they want.

I think this ordering kiosk will greatly improve the workflow. I see this becoming more mainstream throughout the next year or so.

11. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

When the MR staff get hungry, it can affect the stories that squeeze through :)

12. BigMcGuire macrumors demi-god

BigMcGuire

This. Definitely this. This is going to help Subway a LOT.

I went to Subway yesterday with my wife and there were papers all over asking users to not use their phones. Did that stop them? Nope. Did people wait till they got to the counter to decide what they wanted? Yep. It was horrible. Then one guy was on his phone so they had to do an order around him while he took an important call. asdfl;kjasdfl;jkasld;fj

The line was out the door by the time we left. We had the fun of watching someone change their order 3 times while we were eating.

Am I the only one who feels terrible when I inconvenience others? lol.

13. lunarworks macrumors 6502a

Will it say "I'm sorry, we're all out of that kind of bread today"?

14. Relentless Power macrumors G4

Relentless Power

The only real advantage for somebody using their phone while ordering, is if they are ordering for somebody else and the itemized ingredients that individual wants is on the phone. But otherwise, it's just rude and disrespectful to be on your phone while ordering. And it's inconsiderate to others behind you.

Off-topic, but I can't believe how demanding people are when placing an order for a sub. As you mentioned, I try to be courteous to others and I certainly use mannerisms and be respectful to the individual making this sub. I can only imagine the subway workers would love to have a kiosk over taking orders from rude customers.

15. Kaibelf macrumors 68000

Kaibelf

The implication is that if these go standard for other businesses that don’t use Apple Pay right now this is an easy way to get two things they seek in the door and speed up AP adoption

16. kkamann macrumors member

kkamann

Is there a list of which particular subway stores are doing this? I live in one of the towns listed in the article and am curious to check it out.

17. doelcm82 macrumors 68040

doelcm82

This is sidebar news. Do you want it to be big?

18. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

We should up the cost of retail employees. Maybe to $20/hr. That way these stores get higher quality employees and won't feel the need to replace them.

19. erinsarah macrumors regular

Right. None of which could be done by unskilled labor, or teens, or disabled (I'm generalizing here, not trying to be offensive). Four new jobs to build, design, and maintain many, many of these self checkout units.

That being said, I don't really see this displacing workers (yet) at Subway. Typically there's only one or two people working at a Subway near us at any given time...they still need to be there to actually MAKE the sandwich, this just eliminates them from having to take their plastic gloves off to handle the money in between sandwiches.

20. ajguckian macrumors newbie

Pretty cool to see, regardless of the "implications". I'm curious how this is going to be displayed to the sandwich artists so they can get the sammiches correct.

21. sorinc03 macrumors member

Why would you want to save her job? She opted to do it, the trend has been obvious for a while now. I don't think we should feel any pity for those who are being replaced by cheaper, more efficient machines. Being a cashier should not exactly be someone's dream career.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 17, 2017 ---
    Why? What does a cashier do that is worth $20/hour? We should be paying and promoting intelligence and productivity, not paying people for the simple reason that they fill a chair.

22. Boatboy24 macrumors 6502a

Wow! That can't be good for business. I'd have stopped going as well.

23. simonmet macrumors 65816

simonmet

Not that I visit these places often, but all the McDonalds "restaurants" have them in Australia now. I kind of prefer it to the awkward situation where you're standing there looking up at a menu while a young employee stands there staring at you doing nothing or asking to take your order when you clearly haven't decided yet!

I find young/teenage employees usually have poor social and communication skills because these skills develop over the course of a lifetime.

24. macTW macrumors 6502a

The concern is how high people want minimum wage. The higher it's pushed, the less worth the work the employees are. As low skill labor gets expensive, machine alternatives become better options.

The workers brought this onto themselves.

25. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Simple enough work in jobs that involve AI, and technology.

Technology is what advances a society. Jobs created in this sector generally pay well, living wages, enco
    i agree. Many many small businesses accept Apple Pay daily, these don't make the news.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 17, 2017 ---
    We had them in US mCdonalds for a while. The only complaint is the chip reader is really really low to the ground so I have to slouch to insert my card. Well I guess I could Apple Pay there.