Subway Refreshing Store Designs With Self-Order Kiosks That Support Apple Pay

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 17, 2017.

1. cmaier macrumors G3

But schmuffins are much better than subway sandwiches, so I think Subway learned the wrong lesson...

2. QquegChristian macrumors 6502

And at night they can just throw a few cartridges of salt and chemicals in these machines to print out more meat!

3. KPOM macrumors G5

Except see my example of 100 years ago and agriculture jobs.

4. GoldenJoe macrumors 6502

Whenever you go to the grocery store and see one of those self-check-out machines, just remember that there used to be a guy standing there who thought that increasing the minimum wage is a great idea.

5. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

This is going to be the future. By 2050 it will be no different than the self serve gas station pump. People need to stop going to college for a degree in Gender Studies and go to a trade school and learn a damn skill.

6. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

You're not doing it right. When an article is posted about a store refusing to support Apple Pay you're supposed to say how terrible the place is anyway and how it is just one more reason not to frequent that place.

But when a store embraces Apple Pay, you're supposed to say how it is a great move and that because they support Apple Pay, you'll now go to that place even more than you did before... and if you didn't go in the past, you'll now start.

There's a social contract people! :confused::D

Nailed the oversimplification and generalizations! #thumbsup

7. PinkyMacGodess, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2017

PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Now if they would stop using MSG on their lettuce!!!

I got a massive reaction after stopping at one on a long cross state drive. Had to have the passenger drive because it hit so hard. I was redder than a Samsung manager trying to explain why their phones blew up, and sleepier than a guy waiting three days for the iPhone 7 to be released. At some point, that's not just a health hazard, and becomes a physical threat to people that eat there. I haven't eaten at a Subway since. WTF would they use that and apparently their corporate knows. And it's owned by 'Doctor's Associates' or some such named corporation? Jeez... (Not to mention the post eating complications)

PASS!!!

I don't care at that point if they DO use Apple Pay. I wouldn't eat anything there with lettuce on it ever again!!!

8. TechZeke, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017

TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Wouldn't have said if it wasn't true. It may be oversimplification, yes, but I'm not going to write an essay. I know several people at my University with degrees like Gender Studies and History who started working at the on-campus stores and restaurants after graduation because they can't get a job. I'm making more money with better hours as an Engineering Intern, and I haven't even graduated yet. I would rather be uncomfortable and give up an air conditioned desk job making $50,000+/year as a Journeyman than spending $40,000 on a college degree in Gender Studies.

9. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

You should be glad that you can have a job that lets you rain so much scorn on 'the little people'.

I HATE HATE HATE the self checkouts at the big box home improvement stores. That 'overpaid' cashier that is watching the self pays has to deal with the plethora of un-priced, un-labled stuff people haul up on a continuous basis. That's not easy, and it rarely saves any time.

There are many jobs that I feel shouldn't be automated. But the drive for 'cost savings' has exposed the raw greed and disrespect the corporate management has for their customers AND their employees.

I wouldn't go to a restaurant that didn't have real people working there. Maybe some people would, and there is always McDonald's where a machine could crap out a 'hamburger patty' on a grill and slap it on a 'bun' drenched in the 'marvels of fake food science' and jam it in a bag. There are choices...

In the marvelous book, 'Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy' there is a parable of a society that sent all of its 'lesser occupation' people away to another planet. All of the public phone booth sanitizers and such. Their society died from an unsanitary public phone. Ironic...
    --- Post Merged, Jul 18, 2017 ---
    So you are saying that knowledge is useless? That studying human nature is a waste of time? Interesting...

10. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

The problem is not that I think it's useless knowledge, it's you should be going into research and academia if you're really into things like this. Ultimately, it's just not a good time and investment for most people.

In a Design Professionals class I took, half the class is taught by an Engineering Professor, the other with an Attorney. The Attorney admitted during his introduction that he only became an Attorney because he quickly realised who couldn't do anything with his history degree.

Meanwhile, while this generation is full of people with impractical degrees complaining about automation and minimum wage, there are tons of jobs like Maintenance Technicians in manufacturing or coil-coating plants with no one to do them. I actually worked with my father in one of these plants. Everyone there is 50+ years old, and any young people are just the offspring of the current maintenance techs. The young maintenance techs are buying houses and new trucks just by putting up with getting their hands dirty and being uncomfortable in a plant.

LA Metro CEO Phil Washington guest spoke at a dinner meeting last year, and said that even if planned Los Angeles Metro Rail projects dropped out of the sky and were fully built now, there'd be no one to maintain the infrastructure and rail vehicles.

I mean, I could go on and on....(I guess I did end up writing an essay. :p)

11. snebes macrumors 6502a

The meat was put in one of those paper containers and onto a scale. Excess meat was put back into the display case. It isn't touching other food.

That said, I've see employees pick out ingredients that spilled into other containers and put them in the right container. They aren't exactly concerned with contamination or cleanliness there.

12. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

--- Post Merged, Jul 17, 2017 ---

13. CrystalQuest76 macrumors 6502

Check this little company out. They are replacing the company cafeteria with an employee-less Market. Payment is handled electronically. The vendor keeps track of the inventory remotely and when needed will show up to stock the shelves.
    http://www.avantimarkets.com/

After checking out their web site, check out that their system was hacked and all their customer's information was scrapped including fingerprint ID.
    https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/07/self-service-food-kiosk-vendor-avanti-hacked/

14. magicschoolbus macrumors 6502a

magicschoolbus

Great post and points. Scary stuff. Critical thinking, problem solving, and being "human" (having the ability to understand, comprehend, feel out conversations of others) are becoming more and more important in today's society. My worry with your points above is with how expensive it is to go to college to learn a new skill and be qualified to compete in a global workforce that's constantly having new people in it- adjusting quickly is going to have to be another skill that people are going to need. Being able to apply your skills from one job to the next in a different industry will be more important than ever.

15. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

And how is that different from the 'wheel of death' vending machines, and the 'automart' systems that failed in the past. And they can't even keep their data secure? Maybe it's fitting that the people noshing on *something* are in a hospital setting. They might need their stomachs pumped!

Most of our local hospitals have been infested with fast food 'shops' instead of the traditional cafeteria services, and people get sick off that more than the old style cafeteria fare. Outsourcing rarely seems to work, and privatizing services doubly so. The only people that seem to profit are the corporations that receive the contracts, their employees get the hand...