Subway Refreshing Store Designs With Self-Order Kiosks That Support Apple Pay

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 17, 2017.

1. macTW, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2017

macTW Suspended

It completely relates to Apple.

Subway is partnered with Apple. Developments in subway affect Apple revenue through contracts and business popularity of Apple products. This in turn would affect stock prices and consumer/investor interest in the company, which in turn affects Apple and then eventually the macs. Back to macrumors.

You can disagree. But you'd be wrong so save your time and go argue about falsities elsewhere.

2. simonmet macrumors 68000

simonmet

That's interespeting if they tried them but took them out. I've heard contactless payment isn't as ubiquitous in US as it is in Australia though.

Low to the ground so their target market (children) can reach! :p Probably also so they're wheelchair accessible.

I'm 6'2 and I hate it when hand wash basins are too low! PT ticket machines are usually pretty bad as well.

3. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Oh no, we still have them. With the obnoxiously low credit card readers. New ATMs here are obnoxiously low too! And sinks in restrooms. All in the name of being more accessible which is fine...but us tall people have to slouch badly!

Contactless payment is everywhere but our regular cards only have a chip with no PayPass.
    You could use Apple Pay though with those PayPass terminals that are everywhere and even popping up on public transportation in LA, CHICAGO, Portland, etc.

4. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Saw these monstrosities at a McD in Ontario the other day. They only had ONE actual cash register at the counter.
    They don't even take Apple Pay anymore.
    I noticed the last few times I stopped to get a drink that the readers don't accept Apple Pay anymore.

Attached Files:

5. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

In the US a they still take Apple Pay.

6. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

This was in the US... Ontario, California.
    The two McD's near my house here in Phoenix don't take Apple Pay anymore either.
    It stopped working when they switched to the new chip readers.

7. Pamela5 macrumors member

Pamela5

This doesn't surprise me. The cashier position has been eliminated at many stores for the "associate" position that is basically a stock position but they have to run over to the register when a customer needs to check out. Now subway will just have the workers focusing on making the food instead of taking orders.

8. ImBuz macrumors 6502

ImBuz

I like Subway--one of my favorites, the ones I have gone to have been nice friendly and clean, and I like the sandwich !

9. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

You have to have them press card first. If on a kiosk press card first. The new chip readers take Apple Pay just fine.

10. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Very backwards setup since they don't have to press card to use an actual card. Just insert it and it works.
    And there are no markings indicating they accept NFC based payments. The old readers were very clear and no one had to press anything to make it work... it just worked.

I'm sure they've lost a lot of Apple Pay transactions due to this new setup.

11. tmiw macrumors 68000

They're just optimizing for the most common use case. Which frankly, is inserting a card. NFC payments really aren't used all that much (and possibly not even demanded by all that many people outside of MR and similar websites) in the US.

12. splogue macrumors 6502

splogue

That job is going away as fast as businesses can make it happen - and they are all working hard to make it so. It starts in smaller forms, like kiosks and online ordering. The end goal is what Amazon prototyped in Seattle. A store with no cashiers at all where the computers keep track of what you buy and charge it to your card on the way out.

Job shifts like this are a natural evolution. The difference lately is that technological advancements have accelerated the shifts. In the past, you could probably expect to be able to do one kind of job in a lifetime, with perhaps your children having to do something else. That gave people time to prepare and learn the required skills for the new, upcoming roles. Now it is more likely that you'll be doing something completely different by the time you retire, with little or no time to adjust.

13. Centris 650 macrumors 6502a

Centris 650

One of our local subway's already has this in their drive thru though the Apple Pay/credit card swipe part hardly works.

14. splogue macrumors 6502

splogue

That job is going away as fast as businesses can make it happen - and they are all working hard to make it so. It starts in smaller forms, like kiosks and online ordering. The end goal is what Amazon prototyped in Seattle. A store with no cashiers at all where the computers keep track of what you buy and charge it to your card on the way out.

Job shifts like this are a natural evolution. The difference lately is that technological advancements have accelerated the shifts. In the past, you could probably expect to be able to do one kind of job in a lifetime, with perhaps your children having to do something else. That gave people time to prepare and learn the required skills for the new, upcoming roles. Now it is more likely that you'll be doing something completely different by the time you retire, with little or no time to adjust.

15. cyberlocke macrumors regular

cyberlocke

Oh, man! I had a sandwich artist pause mid-"masterpiece" to check his phone. Did he change his gloves? Nope. Of course, I was too chicken to say anything. No harm done yet, but it's still pretty gross.

16. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Makes me wonder how so many of us survived decades of food places, long before anyone wore disposable gloves :D

17. cmaier, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2017

cmaier macrumors G4

I see nothing in the article or news about Apple "partnering" with subway. To the extent the partnership is "subway supports Apple Pay" that is not news - subway has supported Apple Pay for a year. The only new thing is the use of kiosks. Apple doesn't make the kiosks. Apple doesn't sell the kiosks. The kiosks do not appear to run iOS or macOS. Where's the NEW information relating to apple?

18. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

19. Denmac1 macrumors 6502a

Denmac1

Overpriced for an under-filled sandwich. I quit going there when a sandwich maker started counting the olive slices she was putting on.
    I used to work for a convience store chain and we had Subways in our truck stops. Profit margin is really high. Doctors Associates who owns Subway bills the franchises and controls everything.

20. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

What is a wish sandwich?

That's when you have two pieces of bread and you WISH you had some meat.
    Subway charges about 7 dollars now for the foot long. But it has meat sliced so thin one can almost see through it.
    On the rare occasion I go there I only get the 6 inch with double meat.

21. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

"Manchester, UK". That's really useful - which one of the 50+ stores in the area is it?

22. nelsonammo macrumors regular

Why has it taken so long for this to happen? I remember ordering a build-to-order sandwich through a kiosk from a Wawa in Pennsylvania about 10 years ago.

23. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Presumably the same way that online orders happen now (printed slip that "follows" the sub as they make it).

24. 4jasontv macrumors 65816

Not just your area.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 17, 2017 ---
    Based on their inability to deal with customers I would assume they are already robots.
    Mediocre? You soundlike a Subway Fanboi.
    They arn't sanitary when you watch them. "Hi, I don't eat meat, so can I just have a vegi?" Watch them start making it.... "Hi, um, would you mind changing your gloves please before you make my food? You just handled raw chicken..." They look at me weird... "Hi, would you at least mind chaning your gloves because you just touched your face and now your touching food?"

OMG, no. Ew.
    Try explaining that they are supposed to tessellate your cheese.
    I have two subways within a mile of each other here. One charges extra for cheese on a vegi (which is supposed to come with two cheeses). The other charges less for a vegi and if you want the normal amount of cheese you pay the same as if you got meat. Asking for more vegi however is a threat of terror at both.
    Where do they put the meat they removed from your sandwhich? On the next persons sandwhich? What if it touched another item the next person is alergic to? Once food is used it shouldn't go back into general distribution...
    Where are you??? How is this not national news? Every Subway I have been to has been dirty, rude, and ... oh my... you got me! LOL Good job!
    So this one time I went and ordered someone a turkey sandwhich. I was happy because the ham and turkey was the $5 footlong. I was like I want the Ham and Turkey, but no Ham. They made the sandwhich and when I got to the end they charged my $9. I was like... um... whay? Why? It's $5. They said it was because I didn't get ham. I told them fine, give me Ham in on the side and throw it out. They told me they wouldn't give me the $5 price unless I had them put the Ham on the sandwhich. I was like, the person eating this can't have Ham... pretty sure their religion is pretty clear about it. They didn't care. If the ham didn't touch everything than it wasn't a ham and turkey, and they had to charge full price.

I called my friend and they told me to leave. So I left the already made sandwhich at the store and got them something else somewhere else.

25. FelixDerKater macrumors 68020

FelixDerKater

Excellent. Sheetz and Wawa to thank for this.