Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpydreX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2017
Hello everyone,

I am new here on the forum and hope that I am posting this question in the right category since its mostly a terminal prompt/OS X question. I have a 2011 i7 Macbook Pro with a data doubler/HDD installed in the optical drive slot. My main drive in the original slot is an SSD. My question is how to enable sudden motion detection to work on the HDD in the optical drive slot?

From what I can tell it is a software problem, not a hardware problem as the sensor is connected to the motherboard instead of the SATA port itself therefore with terminal I would think you could set it up to work on the HDD in the optical drive slot.

With "sudo pmset -a sms 0" you can disable the SMS on the main slot. Is there a terminal command I can use to force the signal to park the HDD spindle to be sent through the optical drive slot when jarred or dropped instead of the main slot though?

If not through terminal is there another way to do this? If not then would the only solution be coding drivers from assembly code?

I am new to OS X as I am primarily a Windows/PC user so everything not being modular and customizable is a new experience for me. I do love my new Macbook "technically refurbished" but there has to be a way to do what I am wanting to do.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.