Sue Apple to get these animation speeds!

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by kre62, Sep 13, 2013.

1. kre62 macrumors 68000

2. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

They were probably tapping on a green screen which had then added what you see. My point being I'm pretty sure they adjusted speeds to what the dude does with his finger. If we could compare unlockings from different videos maybe you'd find that none of them last the same.

3. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Lol, you wouldn't say ;)

5. kre62 thread starter macrumors 68000

Be that as it may, that's how Apple advertised iOS 7, and that's what the people want. Can you honestly say you wouldn't want those speeds?

Theres no reason to have slow animation speeds. I don't care about the pretty animations, just get it done already. And I thought iOS6 animations were slow!

6. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

It would be nice if apple let users access something like the developer options in android which let you pick the animation speeds. I just have transition animations turned off on my galaxy nexus and nexus 7. I leave window and animator on the default though.

[​IMG]

7. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

You do realize it's a commercial, right? And an animation....

and honestly, I don't see the difference between those and my 5 running it...:confused:

8. kre62 thread starter macrumors 68000

Would be seriously awesome. Someone needs to find a code that enables the super secret config menu where the animations can be tweaked.

----------

The animations in the video are at least 3x as fast. Time it. In the first one, when it unlocks, the icons shoot in like they are on fire. On the current GM, they just kind of meander in lazily. The folder and app launch animations are also 3x faster in the video. Getting into the apps is instant in the vid. In the GM, it takes much longer.

9. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

This a million times.

The funny thing is though, now phones are getting so fast, Apple's tricks actually make the iPhone slower.

Android properly animates everything, and shows the content regardless of if it's lagging or not... iOS uses various tricks like static images to give the illusion of smoothness, all whilst the content loads.

Even if Android has it's lag, I really do love the raw speed of it, you can fly through things, minimize and start swiping through apps immediately, open an app and start scrolling instantly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6fRMy0zHoI

This video shows just how bad iOS7 is with regards to animation speed

10. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

I keep trying it and mine are very consistent from lock screen to opening folders to opening apps. It may be slightly slower, but how do you know they didn't do that on purpose?

I keep watching the video and opening my phone at the same time or right after and I can barely tell a difference.:confused:

11. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Maybe Apple have made it slower in the initial release so that most people - average users, who are not fanatical and haven't used the beta - have time to appreciate the all new look and the general feel and the subtle changes to the animations.

Then, in their next point release, after the honeymoon period, they will speed them up so that people can get on with it.

Only half joking...

12. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Sorry..forgot to mention this. For obvious reasons, they show iOS7 on an iPhone 5 in the video, but I wonder if the speeds shown are associated with running it on the 5S?

The A7 may tend to run those "graphics" much faster than even the iPhone 5's we may have which are currently the fastest hardware running it this week.

They claim twice as fast with the 64-bit processor...although they don't mention the amount of RAM in the new phone...:confused:

13. kre62 thread starter macrumors 68000

First if you can't tell the difference then I don't know what to tell you. In the video the icons fly in almost as a cohesive group and quickly. In the GM the icons come in inside first then the outer rows trickle in. It's at least 3x slower.

Second, I've used a 5s. It's not faster. Smoother, but same speed as the 5.

14. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

The animations are at a fixed rate. It doesn't depend on the speed of the processor.

15. rikscha macrumors 6502a

That's exactly what a good phone shouldn't have.

16. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

A good phone doesn't have slow animations though.

So if i had to have a bad phone, i'd rather have one that let me speed them up than be stuck with slow ones..

17. lazard macrumors 65816

so a good phone shouldn't allow you to be able to tweak settings to how you want the phone to run?

18. kre62 thread starter macrumors 68000

Apple needs to trust its users more. Have a developer menu that can be enabled if a person looks hard enough. The non-tech people would never know it was there.

19. rikscha macrumors 6502a

Exactly. I'm not tweaking my toaster or my washing machine and in the very same way, a good phone should work. I probably agree on the faster animations but haven't tried it out myself yet to tell you if you are wrong.

20. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Watch the video again while doing it on your own phone.

The issue is not the speed of the icons flying in...they look the same to me.

The issue seems to be the introduction of a "fade to black/fade out of black" portion of the animation that was added between the lock screen swipe and the fly in of the icons.

The fade to black starts as you swipe out of the lock screen.

I can imagine this was added to make a cleaner transition between lock screen and home screen images that are dramatically different. You wouldn't notice it in all of the Apple videos where the screens use complimentary colors or identical images.

21. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

Of course they're fast in the video, it's a comercial video to promote the new IOS 7 so it shows the OS functioning perfectly, or haven't you ever seen that in the videos and photos that the phone has full battery and perfect reception? It's called marketing.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: maybe it's not optimized but give Apple time and they will tweak it.

22. kre62 thread starter macrumors 68000

It's faster in the video. End of story.

Also it's not just the unlock, folders and app launching later on also 3x as fast.

All I want is what apple demoed.

23. Cory Bauer macrumors 6502a

I'm tired of this. How often does anyone actually lock their iPhone on the home screen? As opposed to say, the last application you were using? Probably 95% of the time you're unlocking your iPhone and returning to the last application in use, in which case there is no icon animation an the entire issue is moot.

24. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

So a good phone shouldn't have developer options that not only make things easier for app developers, but provide options to the users of the phone as well? I fail to see what offering users a choice is a bad thing. These settings are hidden away by default. You have to enable them by tapping the build number in about phone 8 times. Then they are shown in the settings menu.

25. kre62 thread starter macrumors 68000

Exactly what we need. I'm holding out hope something like this is included.