Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmygb102

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2009
""Visually impaired people can use Apple's Voice Over to navigate the handset's menus and type messages and e-mails. "

Does that mean I can dictate a text message?!?! Man, I've been wanting that ever since I started texting - texting while driving is horribly dangerous but being able to dictate it would awesome!

EDIT: Nevermind - it just helps you enter text, why they haven't expanded voice control to voice to text is far beyond me...

Wouldn't making a phone call be the same thing, except you don't rely on speech recognition software and its instant....LOL

rburly

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2009
Florida
This just makes me look forward to the next model next summer.

Exactly how I feel. I've had the 3.0 GM for about 10 days and it's enough of an upgrade for me. As most of the reviews said, "It's the same as the phone you already own, with a little more speed". I'm perfectly happy with the 3G.

Stevamundo

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2008
""Visually impaired people can use Apple's Voice Over to navigate the handset's menus and type messages and e-mails. "

Does that mean I can dictate a text message?!?! Man, I've been wanting that ever since I started texting - texting while driving is horribly dangerous but being able to dictate it would awesome!

EDIT: Nevermind - it just helps you enter text, why they haven't expanded voice control to voice to text is far beyond me...

You texting while driving? I HOPE NOT!

duky

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
North Carolina
What I want to hear from Walt is whether or not an original iPhone running OS 3.0 should be upgraded to an iPhone 3GS or should I wait one more year.

I don't NEED 3G speed, happy with EDGE and the fact that I always manage to find a free WiFi spot while traveling. GPS... nice but I bought my wife the 3G a few months back and we never travel apart from each other so I can always use hers.

Come on reviewers.... I don't think the real question for users is whether or not they should upgrade from the iPhone 3G to the iPhone 3GS, but it should be for those of us on the first gen phone. If you have a 3G it should be really painfully clear that it is the same phone in essence.

Considering you can trade in your phone to online places for around $150 and you're definitely eligible for the upgrade pricing, I don't see what the harm is in paying $50 for this upgrade--you're getting a completely different device. I don't think many 2G iPhone owners will be thinking about it that hard, us 3G owners are the ones who need to contemplate whether it's a necessary upgrade and for me the answer is OF COURSE

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Think of all of us upgrading from 1st gen iPhones. This is going to be a huge leap in speed for us. People become so jaded so quickly.

Yup, I can't wait to ditch EDGE (great as my iphone has been for 2 years!). :D

The funny thing about these reviews is that they all describe what sound to me to be substantial improvements across the board... and then they conclude the 3G S isn't that different from the 3G. It just sounds like the conclusions don't really match up with the reviews.

Anyway, seems like there's enough here to make upgraders happy and yet not so much as to make non-upgraders feel really left out. (which, btw, is exactly how I felt as a 2G owner when the 3G came out last year)

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana
Why don't you have better than single-bar reception in my neighborhood AT&T WHY?!?!?!? I'd buy one of these in a heartbeat (I have an old Samsung still) but it doesn't do much if I can't use it at home (where I work a lot).

Are they really talking about bringing this to say Verizon/Sprint etc? Every other vendor has better coverage than AT&T in NW Indiana. (Even T-Mobile).

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
This is a bigger upgrade over the 3g than the 3g was to 2g, if this one is not worth upgrading to, then I guess the 3g was an even worse upgrade.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Well those reviews make me happy I upgraded. I watched the videos on gizmodo and the speed difference is significant.

It's not really that significant, the jump from G1 iPhone to G2 iPhone was larger.

This just makes me look forward to the next model next summer.

+1

This model doesn't look any different, and the improvements aren't as big of a jump from G1 to G2. Not worth it to me at all.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
I think this summarizes the new iPhone pretty well:

"For current users, we have this to say: the iPhone 3G S is a solid spec bump to a phone you already own... but it is, at its core, a phone you already own."

So avid love Apple people who have 3G's will buy it at full price, 2G owners will finally upgrade to the 3G world, and the planet will be a little happier.

My question is, the statement says that it's testing an average of 50% faster internet speeds...I thought the 7.2 speed wasn't going to roll out until later this year from ATT, or are we just seeing the phone itself process and display faster off regular 3G?

Well, it would seem to come down to other things as well. What if a 3G owner who wants to record video, use the compass, have a much faster processor and twice the RAM, a better camera, an oil resistant screen, 7.2 internet (if supported by your carrier). If none of those things are important to you than stick with the 3G but saying it is the same phone as the 3G is a bit of a stretch. I myself still have my trusty first gen iPhone. I'll probably upgrade sometime in the next month or so.

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
It's not really that significant, the jump from G1 iPhone to G2 iPhone was larger.

+1

This model doesn't look any different, and the improvements aren't as big of a jump from G1 to G2. Not worth it to me at all.

No the 3g iphone added 3g and gps, how is that significant?

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL

+1

I just don't understand this statement at all. The jump from G1 to G2 added only 3G and GPS. This has that plus all the hardware updgrades (CPU, RAM, compass, upgraded camera, screen, better video "card"). I can totally understand not wanting to upgrade but this seems to be a much bigger leap than the previous upgrade.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Sun Times / Andy Ihnatko said:
- Voice: "Voice control is a tough feature to successfully pull off on any device. No, the iPhone doesn’t pull it off."
Is this a matter of software (not hardware), so Apple will have the chance to improve it through software updates down the road?

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
If you keep doing that, you'll always be looking to the next model next summer (for an iPhone) or the next September (for an iPod) :D

Not true. The move from this year to next year will (with multicore processors) is going to be like the move from PowerPC to Intel. If they didn't think that the 3gs couldn't handle multitasking it could only stand to reason that they think next year's model will. I'd seriously doubt Apple will hold off on multitasking another year. If they stuck with the A8, it would only be a bump in processor speed which will only hurt battery lie which is what Apple does not want. The A9 is far faster with better battery life. This is not even mentioning Open CL support. This will give Apple the ability to offer multitasking without battery life suffering. It would also be the intro of a PA Semi modded chip with all the ATI graphics people they hired. A revamped OS to combat the Pre will be coming and next year's hardware will get the full potential of it.

The move next year will signal a new shift in the iPhone's abilities that will stay around a long time. If you're contract is up, get a new one. It's a great product. For those under contract wait until next year because it will be special.

Howardchief

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
I have a few thoughts/questions on 3.0.

I'm running 3.0 on first gen iphone.

I cannot get voice control to work properly.

Wifi no longer works.

Syncing to iTunes is iffy.

I called Apple and they need me to take it to the store to have a genius look at it. Nothing over the phone seemed to resolve these problems.

Also.. I'm upset the recorder doesn't work during phone calls :(
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39568816@N04/3636695508

Anyone having problems like these?

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
I have a few thoughts/questions on 3.0.

I'm running 3.0 on first gen iphone.

I cannot get voice control to work properly.

Wifi no longer works.

Syncing to iTunes is iffy.

I called Apple and they need me to take it to the store to have a genius look at it. Nothing over the phone seemed to resolve these problems.

Also.. I'm upset the recorder doesn't work during phone calls :(
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39568816@N04/3636695508

Anyone having problems like these?

i thought voice control was 3G S only

Howardchief

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
i thought voice control was 3G S only

hmmm that's why it's not working? I didn't mean to say "not working properly." But, not working. I didn't realize it was 3gs only. I thought it was in the software. Well that explains it. But what about my wifi :(

kycophpd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Louisville, Kentucky
I would have loved to see Walt's review end with the following:

"But will it blend???"

Then Walt pulls out a blender and destroys his demo iPhone 3G S. Then he destroys his demo Palm Pre. Screen then fades to black. When Walt re-appears, he is standing on a street corner with a setup like the old Coke vs. Pepsi commercials. He blindfolds someone and asks them which one tastes better, thus finally answering that the iPhone is better than the Pre..... with less calories too.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Exactly how I feel. I've had the 3.0 GM for about 10 days and it's enough of an upgrade for me. As most of the reviews said, "It's the same as the phone you already own, with a little more speed". I'm perfectly happy with the 3G.

Apple was nice to offer 3.0 for free for current iPhone users. They could have easily made it all 3Gs only

The 3.0 is a nice enough upgrade for me. Now if only I can get the tethering to work on Fido...I have a connection and everything, but no websites are loading!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.