Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
When I upgraded to my 2017 MBP, I took out the SSD (Samsung 840 EVO) from my previous mac and put it into a external enclosure . Recently wiped it clean to use as extra storage. Went to put some files on it and it was incredibly slow. I checked that my enclosure was up to speed (USB 3.0) and didn't see anything else weird. Ran some speed tests and it wasn't getting more that 10 MB/s of write speed.

Researched a bit and it seems Samsung has a firmware update, but can't update via USB.

Should I just buy a new external? Or get a thunderbolt enclosure, which should be able to update firmware (which I'm not sure will even fix the slow write speeds). I'm not super techie, but can get through computer related tutorials fine. Searching through amazon for "thunderbolt SSD enclosure" I'm still a little confused. Would something like this work?

Thanks for the help

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
When I upgraded to my 2017 MBP, I took out the SSD (Samsung 840 EVO) from my previous mac and put it into a external enclosure . Recently wiped it clean to use as extra storage. Went to put some files on it and it was incredibly slow. I checked that my enclosure was up to speed (USB 3.0) and didn't see anything else weird. Ran some speed tests and it wasn't getting more that 10 MB/s of write speed.

Researched a bit and it seems Samsung has a firmware update, but can't update via USB.

Should I just buy a new external? Or get a thunderbolt enclosure, which should be able to update firmware (which I'm not sure will even fix the slow write speeds). I'm not super techie, but can get through computer related tutorials fine. Searching through amazon for "thunderbolt SSD enclosure" I'm still a little confused. Would something like this work?

Thanks for the help
That's still a USB adapter.
The 840 Evo has a problem with the older firmware versions that causes speed to get extremely slow. It seems debatable whether Samsung ever really fixed it, but you can read more here: https://www.anandtech.com/show/9196/samsung-releases-second-840-evo-fix
Given the price of actual Thunderbolt adapters, if you don't have a way to put that SSD inside a computer, then it is probably most cost effective to get a new drive.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
That's still a USB adapter.
The 840 Evo has a problem with the older firmware versions that causes speed to get extremely slow. It seems debatable whether Samsung ever really fixed it, but you can read more here: https://www.anandtech.com/show/9196/samsung-releases-second-840-evo-fix
Given the price of actual Thunderbolt adapters, if you don't have a way to put that SSD inside a computer, then it is probably most cost effective to get a new drive.

Got any recommendations? Should I got with an internal and an enclosure or just a portable external? I'm going to use it for video editing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.