Super AMOLED vs Retina

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by callmemike20, Nov 10, 2010.

1. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I know there are previous threads on this, but I want to focus more on the new windows phone 7 phones. While using a friend's samsung focus, I noticed how bright and big the screen was. But, I noticed that the pixels are clearly visible. I know it's a bigger screen than the iPhone and it has a lower resolution, but my question is: why do people find this screen to be so great when it's very pixelated?

2. angusslo macrumors regular

angusslo

3. falconeight Guest

falconeight

4. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

The majority of the users who use these types of phones can't appreciate certain level of detail in the screen. However, they can appreciate bigger screens.

It's like the average TV consumer would rather buy a bigger size screen for the same money as a smaller screen with better technology for example.

5. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

"dumm" ..... uh huh. Because they like a large bright screen even though they might see some pixels .... that makes 'em "dumm?" Frankly, while I really enjoy the iPhone 4, the quality/resolution of the screen is totally meaningless to me. I could care less if it had half the resolution it has. Things that small (photos, games etc) really don't make that much difference on a screen that size. It's all Apple hype. I'll take a 4"+ screen any day over the 3.6 with 1/2 the resolution and I'd be happy if I had the option on an IOS device. I guess I'm just dumb.

6. WilliamG macrumors G3

In my opinion there's no contest between the *retina* display and the Super AMOLED screens. Something REALLY bothers me about the way AMOLED screens look. Yes, their black are VERY deep, but their whites look.... wrong.

And of course, the dpi isn't even in the same league.

For ME, dpi trumps contrast on a phone every time. It's not like the iPhone 4 has crap contrast or anything, anyway! I'm not watching movies etc on my iPhone 4, so I'll take the iPhone 4 screen any day of the week. Thank you. :D

7. angusslo macrumors regular

angusslo

not to mention WAAAAY better viewing angles on iPhone 4...

8. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

9. APtalent macrumors regular

10. milamber macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I think that it is personal preference. The SAMOLED screens on galaxy s phones are better for pictures and movies but I feel the retina display is much much better for text.

11. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

SAMOLED has over-saturation, which makes it worse for pictures and movies if you're the kind of person who prefers realism.

12. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

iPhone 4 screens aren't very realistic either, with the color temperature being overly warm.

13. callmemike20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I agree with many of you. I think the problem with the iPhone 4 is the UI. The UI is outdated and isn't as visually appealing and modern as many elements in Android and Windows Phone 7. The gradients are becoming ugly (especially the light blue title bars and striped backgrounds found in many apps). I think a redesign could help bring out the beauty of the iP4 screen.

When you see the bright colors and big fonts on current 4in Windows Phone 7 screens, it really pops out. When someone is on an iPhone browsing their home screen and apps, although it has the best screen out there, it really doesn't catch the eye.

14. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

^ I like that argument. Despite the high resolution, the OS doesn't show it off effectively.

15. ajarnfalang, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2010

ajarnfalang macrumors regular

Order: Super AMOLED (galaxy s), iPhone 4 , iPhone 3Gs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some folks really have no clue what they are talking about :rolleyes:

and even though you may have a HUGE 4" display Super Duper AMOLED, it does you absolutely no good when reading, which is what I do mostly.

Galaxy S vs iPhone 4. Even though the iPhone 4 is a smaller screen, you can read the text without zooming in. What is the point of a bigger screen if I have to constantly zoom in?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pixelated crap

[​IMG]

vs awesome

[​IMG]

I'll stick with my iPhone 4... Thanks.

When I browse my screen, it catches the eye of everyone who has seen my iPhone 4. It's the first thing they mention. A WOW, followed by "Man that is really clear".

All the visually appealing UI doesn't make it more usable. Using Windows Phone 7 is a pain in the ass. No multitasking. and Android is just plain ugly.

iOS 4.1 on an iPhone 4 just looks polished and so easy to use. Everything is right there. It doesn't require the brain to think to perform any task. Just looking at the screens one can see that Android is basicaly one disjointed disorganized multi-brand phone mess

[​IMG]

Inbox. Again. iOS requires no thinking. It's natural. WP7 makes your brain think "What the hell am I looking at?", and Android is just trying to copy iOS

[​IMG]

again, Android is ugly as hell. I am not a fan of widgets, but even if I was, I just can't get past the ugly icons. It looks a real mess.

and what is it with Android people and weather widgets? Do you REALLY need to be constantly looking at the temperature outside on your screen? Come on. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

16. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Why does it have to be eye catching? Is it because you want other to think, "whoa, look at his awesome OS??". How about it functions well, does what it needs, and across the board still looks good and is easy to use...enjoy the phone man, not saying you aren't but just enjoy it bro!.:D

17. callmemike20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I believe the first 2 comments were talking about how much better the iPhone 4 was because of its viewing angle and outdoor usage.

18. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Super AMOLED has the advantage of amazing colors. The best way to fully appreciate it is to watch a movie on one. Every time I show someone a clip or a movie with my Vibrant I get comments about how nice the screen is. It really is like having a mini plasma TV.

The resolution on the retina display is nice. Text and images look very sharp.

Each screen has its downside.
    -The Super AMOLED has a 'cool' white balance which shifts back to normal as the screen ages.
    -The Retina IPS display has very muted colors and isn't even as bright as regular AMOLED screens.

Neither is perfect. Take your pick.

19. callmemike20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

The answer to your first question would be "partly."

Second, I enjoy my phone very much.

HOWEVER, Apple has a tendency to create something great and then fall behind because they don't like to keep up with the competition. Look at OS X's UI. It was great a few years ago, but even as the previews of 10.7 show, it's not changing much. I'm not saying its not a good UI, but it could always be improved.

You are clearly showing a bias towards Apple in your comment. I want you to apply your comment to purchasing a car. Do looks matter? All cars get you to where you need to go and most follow decent safety standards. The fact is that attractiveness is a major component to many purchase decisions. I believe the iOS UI is great and does what it needs to (and more), BUT it needs to keep up with the times and the competition. It needs to evolve to stay in the market.

Apple currently has many advantages over the competition including:
    -Greatest number of apps
    -Uniformity / Integration
    -iPod/iTunes integration

Many of these advantages can easily be taken over by the competition. Apple was the first in this type of market, but it can easily be the first one out. With more and more people buying Android phones (and now WP7), many more apps will be developed for those platforms. Soon, Apple may not have this advantage. As for uniformity, Apple makes both iOS and the iPhone and everything works well with each other. There's no hassle when downloading apps and OS updates. Android sucks at this. BUT, Microsoft has very rigorous standards with their WP7 phones and they have great integration with Office Products and Xbox Live. As for iPod integration, Apple still has a compelling lead. Android sucks. Microsoft has excellent Zune integration in WP7 and the Zune PC app is decent (a lot faster than iTunes), but Apple still controls this realm.

As the gap narrows in respect to iOS advantages over Android and WP7, what incentive do people have to purchase an iPhone. If all the phones have the same features, people are going to look at the phones that "look cool." The iPhone is just going to be another phone in the store.

Now, it wouldn't be a good idea for Apple to change the UI every update, but a show refresh should be done with every new release. However, since its been a few years since iOS came out and nothing has really changed, I believe it would be a great move for Apple if they increased the screen size to 4in, maintained the retina display, and incorporated a fresh UI to maintain on par with competition.

Sorry for the long post. I wanted to make my point without completely bashing Apple. They are a great company and provide an excellent product. I just feel they aren't doing enough.

BTW... Great profile picture. Artie is great. I hope Howard stays in radio for a few more years.

20. ajarnfalang macrumors regular

Yes.. Just going at people who think AMOLED's are better than the Retina. That guy that thinks it "pwns" it. Only 14 year olds use that term.

I guess it didn't read that way. :eek:

But, i digress. We are talking about screens not UI.

My iPhone 4 screen rocks everything out there. I have compared it side by side with my own eyes with a Galaxy S. Really, there is no contest. The iPhone 4 has the nicest screen out there.

21. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Because they don't go out of their basements much. ;)

Puts on flame suit. =p

22. Tarzanman, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2010

Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Laugh if you want. I will bet you $20 that Apple adds widgets functionality to the next iPhone/iOS.

You iPhone users always bash a feature until Apple implements it..and *then* all of a sudden it is useful/awesome.

23. falconeight, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2010

falconeight Guest

falconeight

The iphone is just so cute. All little and touch like, a great kids phone. I like that know you can put teeny weeny boxes inside of little boxes on the iphone.

24. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

go back and look at the very first preview of 10.5 leopard
    it looked identical to tiger

yea they didnt change much but things did change before the final release

I think with 10.7 you'll see more apps that work like quicktime, and drop off a lot of the excess interface until you mouse over them

plus we've already seen that theyre "removing" scroll bars until you actually start scrolling. Might not be good but it is different

25. v5point0 macrumors member

v5point0

I agree, there has to be a refresh, the UI is getting kinda stale, but more importantly there has to be options.

If there are many Mac and iPod versions, why can't there be such choices on the iPhone. Phones like computers are very individual gadgets and as such it is hard to please the masses with just one product with different storage capacities.

People also have budgets, needs for certain features, or even exclusion of some.

I like making informed decisions about my tech, so far those decisions have been sound but I wouldn't hesitate to jump out of this walled garden when it starts to crumble around me.