Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tombubi

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2011
It's all about personal choice. Get what works for you. I'm not an Android fan, but I'm glad they're making strides. It pushes Apple and others to be more innovative; or at the very least add some new features to future releases.

Competition is good. Saying one sucks and the other is awesome is purely opinion. I'd never own a Nissan Cube, but some love the look of it...this is no different.

I own both Iphone and Andoid phone with Amoled . It really depends what you prefer. I think Apple is smart to use Retina that beats Amoled in resolution whereas Super Amoled does excel in colors and sizes.

stevensr123

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
You obviously didn't see the comparison pictures between the Galaxy S and the iPhone 4. If apple were to use the same display as the galaxy, it would be 5 steps backwards...use your head man

The only thing this "retina" display as apple called it, is pixels. But to be honest, all the latest and greatest phones don't have a fckiin problem with pixels. I mean let's be honest, are you really gonna zoom in that much to look at text? Or to look at your icons? I find it frustrating that they compare text zoomed into to the point you can see one letter at a time.

Who the **** zooms in or looks at there screen that close? Granted writing looks great on the iPhone, but then again it looks great on any of the latest phones as well.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
friend of mine just got the samsung galaxy s 2 and i hate the screen. it looks like it got a greenish yellowish touch to it

eaglesteve

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2009
Ewww the Galaxy S looks disgusting next to the iPhone 4.

It was like looking at my 3G again...

I don't agree.

I love my iPhone 4, and would choose it overall anytime over Galaxy S. But when come to the screen, including its size, I would take SGS anytime. It is not like 3G, let's be fair.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
friend of mine just got the samsung galaxy s 2 and i hate the screen. it looks like it got a greenish yellowish touch to it

I've noticed that the colors on many OLED screens look "off", but this isn't a fundamental technical issue. Apple should be able to correct for this via software calibration.

Keep in mind that AMOLED and RD are not mutually exclusive technologies. AMOLED is a screen technology and RD is a PPI specification. With minimal production improvements, Sammy should be able to produce an AMOLED Retina Display

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
I don't agree.

I love my iPhone 4, and would choose it overall anytime over Galaxy S. But when come to the screen, including its size, I would take SGS anytime. It is not like 3G, let's be fair.

Many people can't get past the pentile layout of the original SGS. Including me. I would also take the iP4 display over the SGS. The SGSII eliminates this issue.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-hk; GT-I9100 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

sentinelsx said:
TheMacBookPro said:
Since this thread was bumped again I may as well add my 2c about the keynote.

Look at Apple's incredibly original idea about a slide-down panel for their notification system!

Yeah people wanted it and apple did jt. So? You android fellas now feeling jealous?

Remember when android was a bb clone and changed once shmidt changed companies?

iOS lacks something: point to cry. It adds something, people start crying again lol.

Why would I feel 'jealous' of a subpar imitation of what android has had since 1.0? :rolleyes:

I honestly had no idea that Android, in its Google form, was a BB clone. Care to enlighten me?

All I'm saying is that Apple could have been slightly more original for their 'notification center'. Whatever happened to 'think different'?

Can you imagine how people on here would react if the next version of android adds a slide-up multitasking bar on the bottom of the screen a la iOS?

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
All I'm saying is that Apple could have been slightly more original for their 'notification center'. Whatever happened to 'think different'?

I understand the sentiment, but look at it this way: If Apple gathered up and compared all of the ways notifications could be implemented and determined that one outperforms the others, why wouldn't they use that design? It would be silly to implement an inferior system.
Good UI isn't about being unique, it's about being intuitive.

Google's implementation is very good, but let's be honest; their implementation it not so ground brakingly original as to preclude Apple independently coming to the same conclusion. How many implementations could meet the following criteria: Must not close the current app, activate and close with a single/simple action, accessible while using one hand/finger, doesn't require additional physical button, minimally interferes with existing apps.
There are only so many distinct actions that you can make on a 3.5" screen. A down swipe from the previously untouchable menu bar is a logical choice.

I dont think Apple "stole" the idea any more than Google "stole" using a large touch screen. Both ideas are just natural evolutions of the technology.

Nobody wants to live in a world were every device functions completely uniquely just because the manufacturers don't want to use overlapping ideas.

Last edited:

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
Both are excellent screens in what they excel at, logically. Retina is great with resolution, AMOLED is great with colors. But both screens are amazing, especially if you compare them to what we had 3 years ago. The smartphone industry is growing at such a fast pace people forget just how good stuff is! :D

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
We should have a seperate thread with the looming question - Who will have both Retina and AMOLED first, Samsung or Apple?

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
We should have a seperate thread with the looming question - Who will have both Retina and AMOLED first, Samsung or Apple?

Isnt Apple going to go to the SuperAMOLED? Could be wrong but thought i read that someplace.
I doubt Samsung would go to the Retina display. They make TV's and will use their own technology.

In the end, who cares who uses what!

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
Isnt Apple going to go to the SuperAMOLED? Could be wrong but thought i read that someplace.
I doubt Samsung would go to the Retina display. They make TV's and will use their own technology.

In the end, who cares who uses what!

Retina Display isn't a technology it's simply a high pixel count per square inch.

AMOLED is on the other hand is a Samsung technology and so it'd be easier for Samsung to have both Retina and AMOLED before Apple you feel.

Certinfy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
London
Probably Samsung, like rovex said Retina is only a high PPI, wouldn't be surprised if they released a phone next year with a very high PPI on the Super Amoled Plus Screen.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
In my opinion there's no contest between the *retina* display and the Super AMOLED screens. Something REALLY bothers me about the way AMOLED screens look. Yes, their black are VERY deep, but their whites look.... wrong.

And of course, the dpi isn't even in the same league.

For ME, dpi trumps contrast on a phone every time. It's not like the iPhone 4 has crap contrast or anything, anyway! I'm not watching movies etc on my iPhone 4, so I'll take the iPhone 4 screen any day of the week. Thank you. :D

I totally agree. I had a Nexus S (and a Galaxy S) for a while, and although their blacks were near perfectly black, whites always looked a bit wrong. They never looked pure, like LED LCDs do. My iPhone and MacBook Pro have similarly pure whites, so putting the Nexus next to either of them revealed how dirty-looking and yellow the Super AMOLED whites were.

I'd rather have decent blacks and pure-looking whites (iPhone 4) than deep blacks and dirty-looking whites (Super AMOLED).

Also, like you said, the density of the iPhone's display is hugely better. This outweighs contrast any day for me.

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
The iphone's blacks are more like grey to me...

The viewing angles which are possible through IPS is very good though.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
I totally agree. I had a Nexus S (and a Galaxy S) for a while, and although their blacks were near perfectly black, whites always looked a bit wrong. They never looked pure, like LED LCDs do. My iPhone and MacBook Pro have similarly pure whites, so putting the Nexus next to either of them revealed how dirty-looking and yellow the Super AMOLED whites were.

I'd rather have decent blacks and pure-looking whites (iPhone 4) than deep blacks and dirty-looking whites (Super AMOLED).

Also, like you said, the density of the iPhone's display is hugely better. This outweighs contrast any day for me.

Nice. My iPhone whites look YELLOW. Like every single replacement phone that is out there. Only new ones or the occasional lucky replacement has a nice screen.

gimmeiphone

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
Nice. My iPhone whites look YELLOW. Like every single replacement phone that is out there. Only new ones or the occasional lucky replacement has a nice screen.

recently got sgs2 blacks cnt be better, whites are ****** and dull, and the banding on colour gradients is atrocious, that said next iphone needs a better screen, blacks are almost grey

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
recently got sgs2 blacks cnt be better, whites are ****** and dull, and the banding on colour gradients is atrocious, that said next iphone needs a better screen, blacks are almost grey

Agreed, I mean the screen is nice but unless you got a launch day iPhone 4 then the whites don't even look white. Kinda sad but oh well.

I tried my hardest to like the SGS2 but I couldn't. Just gonna wait for the 5.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I know there are previous threads on this, but I want to focus more on the new windows phone 7 phones. While using a friend's samsung focus, I noticed how bright and big the screen was. But, I noticed that the pixels are clearly visible. I know it's a bigger screen than the iPhone and it has a lower resolution, but my question is: why do people find this screen to be so great when it's very pixelated?

Why do people paint their house beige?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.