Super Mario Run Requires Always-On Internet Connection to Play Due to Piracy Concerns

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 9, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Shigeru Miyamoto has confirmed that Nintendo's upcoming iPhone game Super Mario Run will require an always-on internet connection to play, which Miyamoto said is "a requirement that's been built into the game to support security." The security element is one of the big reasons why the company decided to launch on iPhone first, Miyamoto said, and it helps the game's three separate modes function together while always keeping the software secure and safe, preventing piracy in the process (via Mashable).

Creating a standalone "World Tour" mode without the need for an internet connection was discussed, but the developers found that needing to reconnect to the internet when jumping back to the other two modes -- "Toad Rally" and "Kingdom Builder" -- complicated things. "And because those two modes are relying on the network save, we had to integrate the World Tour mode as well," Miyamoto said, through a translation by Nintendo's senior product marketing manager Bill Trinen.

[​IMG]
    When asked specifically what the company's concerns were about security on mobile devices, Miyamoto confirmed the risk of piracy facing Super Mario Run since it's not launching on a dedicated Nintendo console. "We're launching in 150 countries and each of those countries has different network environments and things like that," Miyamoto said. "So it was important for us to be able to have it secure for all users."

Super Mario Run is now under a week away from launch, with its debut coming next Thursday, December 15. The rest of Mashable's interview with Miyamoto can be read here.

Article Link: Super Mario Run Requires Always-On Internet Connection to Play Due to Piracy Concerns

2. tann macrumors 68000

Well that's changed my mind on whether I'll buy it. Pretty much useless on my journeys.

3. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

NOT COOL.
    Games shouldn't be forced to be played like that.

4. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

I would agree with you if piracy wasn't so rampant.

But since it is, I completely agree with Nintendo. Why should I pay $10 for a game, while someone else gets it for free?

5. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

Yes, because piracy is rampant on iOS. :rolleyes:

Nintendo is going to end up like RIM if they keep this up. Their consoles are not that good anymore and seem more like gimmicks than anything. So resistant to move FORWARD all for the sake of fear.

6. rodgersmc macrumors member

rodgersmc

Is piracy of iOS apps really a big thing? What percentage of iOS users even know about apps not on the official app store?

I'm OK with it forcing a network log-in once a day or something. But this makes the game unplayable on underground metro systems...

7. OliverFoggin macrumors member

OliverFoggin

Well, that's changed it from a definite buy and I was willing to spend the £9.99 to unlock the full game.

My train journeys to work and back are through areas with pretty much no signal.

WTF?!

I feel like I felt when SimCity 4 was released.

8. filmantopia macrumors 6502a

filmantopia

This game is nearly useless to me if I can't play it on the subway.

9. budselectjr macrumors 6502a

People never learn. EA disaster with the last Sim City that they originally claimed only could be played online "due to the cloud" but wasn't , the original plans for the Xbox One and the gamer backlash that got the whole division pretty much fired, etc.

Good luck, Nintendo. They already screwed up their next console launch by not having the new Zelda done in done in time and won't sell any at all now.

10. Xeyad macrumors 6502

It's really more than you might think.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/01/09/monument-valley-piracy/

For example, 60% of Monument Valley installs were pirated. I know a couple of devs, they say that this isn't an anomaly; their apps too get quite pirated as well. Mario on iOS is getting crazy amounts of hype, so I wouldn't blame them too much for trying to protect it.

11. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

Oh dear. Silly silly Nintendo. Was all set to buy this day one. Now it's quite unlikely.

You want to cripple the game because you think I might be a pirate Nintendo? Well you keep your game then, and I'll keep my money. Everything stays more secure then, right?

Disappointing. Maybe Mario get me next time!

12. satchow macrumors 6502

Nintendo has always been stupidly scared of piracy and puts it above the needs of the consumer. For example, they used proprietary 1.5gb mini-discs that spun counterclockwise with the GameCube instead of DVDs like the PS2/Xbox. Ironically Nintendo has had consistently the easiest console to pirate for in each generation.

13. Tronic macrumors 6502

Tronic

I rarely play games, but when I do, it's on the subway...

14. windywalks macrumors 6502

At the very least they could have put some thought into the response.
    This sounds like a bot spewing out gibberish.
    Of course, let it phone home, but always on is a bit much.

15. Srtlewis macrumors newbie

Err nope. Battery life is pretty bad already don't need an app calling home every 30sec

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sorry, but I hate games that require internet connections and I don't buy the issue about piracy. While that does occur to some extent in iOS, its not where as prevalent as other other platforms. Apple's walled garden largely prevents that sort of action.

17. KALLT macrumors 601

Regardless of piracy considerations, always-on will make such games a lot less valuable on the road. This is a clear disadvantage for paying customers.

As a rule of thumb, I disable mobile data for games whenever I can, otherwise I am inclined to delete them. One game, Temple Run 2, managed to suck quite a bit of data from the network while I was roaming, for no apparent reason whatsoever.

I will hold off buying it now, €9.99 is an unacceptable price for this kind of DRM.

18. Amacfa macrumors 65816

Amacfa

Who is getting it for free? Jailbreakers?

Do people even jailbreak anymore like they used to?

$10 was overpriced already, but it's Mario so I let it slide.

Online only? Now it's worth no more than $2.99

19. Remy149 macrumors regular

Because a large percentage of consumers who actually purchase this type of content love in big cities as a NYC should have mostly played this on the subway this is a no go

20. Bobajobbob macrumors regular

I would have bought this but there is nothing more annoying than apps that completely unnecessarily require an internet connection to work. Effectively you can't play or use the app in all of the common situations for doing just that, such as on a plane, metro etc. Utterly utterly stupid decision. I will actively seek out a hacked version that has removed this requirement now. All of the video apps that don't let you access your download folder before they have connected are just as bad, looking at you Amazon and Sky.

21. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

[​IMG]

22. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

With a game rumored to have a high-replay value, not being able to play in airport mode or on an iPod Touch without a wifi signal seems like a huge inconvenience.

Not a huge deal for me, but certainly I can see it being a problem for a lot of others.

23. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

This thread will be nothing but complaints yet the game will be a huge success despite those cries.

It may be an issue for some here but for the 99% of those that download games, they won't even notice and won't care.

24. joel1974 macrumors newbie

joel1974

I think they lose more money trying to stop piracy than the amount of money they lose because of it.

25. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

I wonder what happens if you do sideload this game now - how does constantly being on the internet stop that? Does it check every second to make sure the iCloud account you're logged in with actually bought it from the store?...