Supplier Chatter Pointing to Redesigned iPhone with 4-Inch Display, 'Sleek Look'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 9, 2012.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Topeka Capital Markets analyst Brian White has released a new research report today outlining some of the takeaways from a recent trip to Asia to talk with companies in Apple's supply chain. According to White, chatter from those suppliers is pointing toward a larger 4-inch screen on the iPhone 5, which will also include a redesign bringing a "new, sleek look".
    White notes that some suppliers are expected to begin ramping production of components in June, ahead of a launch in the August-September timeframe leading into a blockbuster final quarter of 2012.

[​IMG]

Sleek "iPhone 5" mockup based on leaked 2011 case designs
    As in any discussion of a larger screen on an iPhone, the issue of screen resolution is certain to be a key sticking point. With the iPhone currently offering a 3.5-inch Retina display, an increase to 4 inches would require one of two changes: an increase in resolution that would yield difficulties for developers by adding yet another device size to the mix, or a decrease in pixel density that would maintain the current resolution but see density drop to roughly 285 pixels per inch from the current 326 pixels per inch.

Among White's other takeaways from his trip:

- Display issues have caused a bit of a bottleneck on supplies of the new iPad, but the shortages seem to be easing. Any small constraints on March quarter sales numbers would be compensated for by a boost to June quarter sales.

- Suppliers suggest that a smaller "iPad mini" is still in the works, but launch timing remains unknown.

- While the new iPad is not yet officially available in China, some resellers are already carrying the device. Speculation is pointing to a potential May release for the new iPad in China, although evidence for that timeframe beyond a recent regulatory approval appears scant.

Article Link: Supplier Chatter Pointing to Redesigned iPhone with 4-Inch Display, 'Sleek Look'

2. jasonxneo, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012

jasonxneo macrumors regular

jasonxneo

yes!!!! finally! :D bring on the iPhone 5 Rumors that actually make a difference! Thoese pictures actually do look like mini ipads! The only drawback of the iphone 5 is how slower, thicker and less appealing it is than the iphone 6! :)

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

4. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

5. Boisv, Apr 9, 2012

Boisv macrumors regular

If it's redesigned like the picture, I'm not buying. I really don't need a larger screen, but what I don't like is the shape. I really prefer the flat back to a tapered back. My iPhone 4S will easily stand on any of it's sides, and I stand it up all the time. It also stays put better when it's lying down.

Also I think the aluminim back is a lot uglier than the glass. This looks like a step back.

UPDATE: To anyone who thinks I was expressing anger in this post, I wasn't. I simply prefer the old design. Big deal. This isn't an actual design anyway, so it's a moot point. I was merely expressing my opinion of the curved back design that we see here and we see on the iPhone 3G. I like a flat back. People read into things. They see what they want to see.

6. KPOM macrumors G5

Could they do something other than quadruple the resolution to maintain a high pixel density without requiring developers to make changes to existing applications? For example, instead of doubling the vertical and horizontal pixels, could they multiply them by 1.5?

7. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Nice to see MacRumors still getting their money's worth out of that ugly iPhone 5 mockup.

8. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

I'll be sooo happy if this happens! Coming from an iphone 4, the A5X chip, current generation 4S camera sensor and a 4" screen with unibody construction would be my ideal phone! I'd love a sleeker take on the original 1st gen design. The i4 was (is) a beautiful design, but I much prefer the aluminum back over glass.

Bring it, I'm ready!!

9. OceanView, Apr 9, 2012

OceanView macrumors 65816

LTE, bigger screen, 1 GB RAM ?
    This might be the iPhone I've dreamed about.
    Wake me up in Oct!

10. mjtomlin Guest

Did we fall into a time warp? Is this Fall of 2011 again or am I just experience deja vu?

11. igazza macrumors 6502a

igazza

12. jasonxneo macrumors regular

jasonxneo

1mb ram? my calculator has more! :D j/k

13. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

"thinner, larger, faster"

Probably would used to describe apples new iPhone, if these rumours are true.

14. GonMacNvrGoBack macrumors newbie

GonMacNvrGoBack

Saw the word 'analyst' and immediately dismissed the article

15. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

Given the display issue if Apple were to Increase the display size, I dont foresee a screen bigger than the current one.

16. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

So same speculation from this time last year.

17. cube macrumors Pentium

If it doesn't have LTE Advanced, it is not 4G.

18. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

As long as the screen is 4" or larger, I'm all in! 3.5" is simply too small for power users.

19. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

These are the same "artist rendering" that Macrumors used last year.

20. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

That mockup looks more like an iPod touch than an iPhone.

If Apple can find a way to make the iPhone out of aluminum again without sacrificing signal quality then I'm all for it.

I don't know about going bigger, I suppose that would give them more room to pack in a battery for the LTE chip. But the iPhone is about perfect in a 3.5" form. Lowering ppi to increase resolution seems like a bad idea.

Maybe it is time for a new screen resolution on the iPhone.

1024 X 768 at 4 inches is 320 ppi

21. ivassilis macrumors member

A hardware redesign is sure thing for next iPhone. A new name is certainly in (as in new iPhone) and given the competitors trend of increasing dimensions, a modest increase of iPhones screen is to be expected. At 4" they will try to draw the line between "improvement" and usability. Probably by making that rim around the display even thinner. iPhone will grow only marginally in size overall. And that will make space for a larger battery too!!

22. Amazing Iceman, Apr 9, 2012

Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

More rumors to keep us entertained, obsessed, crazy, undecided, confused, happy, sad, impatient, hopeful, all of the above, none of the above, etc....
    :eek:

One thing is for sure: Time flies, and when we least expect it, it's time for the new iPhone launch! :D

23. nikhsub1 macrumors 68020

nikhsub1

Why do people still assume the 6th generation iPhone is the iPhone 5? The 4S is the 5th iPhone.

24. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

25. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

How many times can the word "sleek" be used in a single article?