MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

132133-touch_transition.jpg

DigiTimes briefly reports that an executive from Sintek Photronics has denied claims from late last week that the company has shipped samples of touchscreen panels to Apple for testing in a touch-capable iMac.
Barry Wu, VP and spokesperson of Sintek Photronics has denied reports that the company is sampling projected capacitive touch panels for Apple's iMac.
Rumors and an Apple patent application have suggested that the company is at least toying with the idea of a touch-capable iMac. While it is unclear whether Apple would attempt to create a fully touch-capable Mac OS X, it has been suggested that the company could instead offer iOS as layer on top of Mac OS X, allowing both operating systems to coexist on the same machine.

Article Link: Supplier Denies Shipping iMac Touchscreens to Apple

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I still don't get what the appeal is in a touch screen that large, your arms would get tired, and I don't see it providing any real improvement in how we interact with computers.

Comment

gleepskip

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
He doesn't deny sending touch screen samples. He only denies sending samples for the iMac. They could be for an iMac replacement.

Comment

azentropy

macrumors 68030
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Ok. I still have no doubt Apple is looking at it.

To me there is a threshold to when "touch" screens become an inconvenience. Using a touchscreen on anything too big is kinda like having a big ass TV and sitting 3 ft away.

Comment

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
I'm sure they've played with the idea but that looks stupid. I don't think it's feasible yet, unless it's apart of a touch top desk or something.

Comment

Mad City Court

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010
Madison
Supplier Denies Shipping iMac Touchscreens to Apple

A touch 27 inch screen?!? Kids love to finger print. This could redefine fingerprinting as we know it. ~laughs~

Courtney

My Macbook Pro is an honor student at ________

Comment

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
I still don't get what the appeal is in a touch screen that large, your arms would get tired, and I don't see it providing any real improvement in how we interact with computers.
It's less about appeal than about experimentation. A company like Apple prototypes hundreds of designs every year with only a handful reaching market.

You don't innovate by dabbling with a few conservative designs. You must try stuff that you know won't work in the real world. Guys like Mozart, Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Frank Lloyd Wright tore up drafts, kept sketchbooks, etc.

Heck, Apple files a bunch of patents, most of which never make it to a product.

The supplier just provided some parts for prototyping. There is nothing that requires Apple to turn these parts into a marketable product.

Comment

highdough

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
Wouldn't the smart thing to do is simply not respond to rumours? It sets a bad precedent.

Comment

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
A touch screen on a imac doesn't make any sense... except perhaps if you were a business using one as a cash register. Ther ergenomics of reaching over the keyboard and desk to touch your screen instead of using a mouse or trackpad... boggles.

Comment

dcescott

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2010
I'm for it. iMac with touch controls? yessir! If Adobe implements the touch screen, I would be using both a mouse and the touch in transition. I can imagine the time saver plus new ways to create. I should be using a Wacom Tablet, but I'm so accustomed to the mouse...

Touch for the interchanging tools and adjustments. Some of the hot keys will disappear too. The mouse for other aspects until I learn to go touch screen only

Comment

spatlese44

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Milwaukee
Item #315 in the diagram better be a hefty weight, or a good multigesture could send this thing toppling over.

If it could be useful as a cash register, couldn't there be other uses that Apple wants to explore?

I was toying with the idea of creating a graphical programming language at one point. A touchscreen with multi-touch could be very useful for this.

And no, you probably wouldn't want to use it for the current applications you use: wordprocessing, spreadsheet, web browsing, etc. That's why it's convertable.

Comment

gillychip

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2010
Bigger iPad with mac os

I think if they do it the all it will be is a big iPad running MAC OS on.

Comment

highdough

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
However, Apple rumors generates large numbers of pageviews. People love speculating about Apple.

After all, you are reading this on a site called MacRumors.

:D

Why does a supplier care about pageviews? By denying this rumour, does that mean they will comment on all other rumours involving this company? What if the rumour is true next time, but they don't want to say anything? They've already denied one rumour. A "no comment" next time will be as good as a confirmation.

This guy was simply not thinking.

Comment

japanime

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
More precisely, the executive from Sintek Photronics wagged his finger and said, "I did not ship touchscreen panels to that woman! :p

Seriously, it's probably Sintek trying to calm down their now-irate client (Apple) for having allowed the fact to be leaked to the media.

Comment

highog92

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2010
i don't what to think about it i would be for it as long as there isn't a price increase and if there is it better be an BTO option.

Comment

mKizzo

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2008
The future is touch...

Boys and girls, let there be no doubt that the future of "desktop" computing as we know it will be touch or gesture based. If you think of it on a traditional computer, of course the ergonomics won't work. But somewhere in the world there is a clever guy figuring it all out for us and in about 6 years we'll all be reminiscing about the old skool days when we used to use a mouse.

Comment

iMule

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2009
Greenville, SC
I think it would be cool to have a detachable tablet. I'm not sold on a touchscreen iMac either. Maybe it will be exclusively an iOS device? Maybe it's a cheaper iMac? I don't know. We never know. It's Apple.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.