Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

060159-hero_20100127_500.jpg

Digitimes reports that touch panel and glass suppliers are completing validation for Apple's second generation iPad.
Apple is expected to launch the second-generation iPad in the first-quarter of 2011, the suppliers noted.
Component shipments are expected in the beginning of 2011 with product launch in the 1st Quarter of the year.

Apple has been expected to add a front-facing camera to the next generation iPad to offer FaceTime video conferencing across all their mobile devices.

Article Link: Suppliers Preparing for 1st Quarter 2011 Launch of 2nd Generation iPad

complexcommunic

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2010
I never understood why there wasn't a front-facing camera on the ipad to begin with. It seems like it would be one of the most obvious features for an ipad. They're perfect for video chat

Comment

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Now this is a next gen iPad rumor I can actually believe. Panel and glass suppliers are pretty reliable sources from past rumors.

Comment

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
I absolutely love my iPad. Something I might actually consider doing is selling this in the run-up to Christmas and buy myself another model when I am in Japan next year.

The iPad has really been a blessing in disguise. It's revolutionised my interaction with the internet and completely lightened the load on my MBP.

20100917-9qgscsgasuy5598jy4g1xmn98.jpg

Comment

Chintan100

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2009
India
I never understood why there wasn't a front-facing camera on the ipad to begin with. It seems like it would be one of the most obvious features for an ipad. They're perfect for video chat

I think frequent orientation changes would have something to do with it. I am curious to see how they deal with it in 2nd gen iPad.

Comment

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007

So people have to buy new? It's a rather obvious tactic by Apple.

Comment

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
Well hopefully if this is "true" then they should be bringing some serious updates to the iWork suite for iPad, cause it needs it IMO.

Anyone think will have another Jan announcement with a April release again?

Comment

bobthedino

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2006
Retina Display?

What are our chances of getting an amazing 2048x1536 display, I wonder...

Comment

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Well hopefully if this is "true" then they should be bringing some serious updates to the iWork suite for iPad, cause it needs it IMO.

Anyone think will have another Jan announcement with a April release again?

There won't be a big gap between announcements and release because the product is already out and this would be a 2nd gen update. So basically it would be more like an early March announcement and release date by the end of March. (this is my prediction).

Comment

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006

Too much for the processing and battery. Almost impossible to get such a high res. this year. Maybe in 2013. Somehow I doubt this next version will be wildly improved, but it will have a lot of extras not in the current model. There might be a tiny resolution bump.

Comment

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
I never understood why there wasn't a front-facing camera on the ipad to begin with.
The camera was planned and then pulled to get the price down to $499.

I think frequent orientation changes would have something to do with it. I am curious to see how they deal with it in 2nd gen iPad.
I expect the 2nd generation iPad to include a laser gyroscope to improve the experience for gamers. If frequent orientation changes would be a problem for video chat, which I doubt, then the gyroscope may help.

Exactly zero. Yields of large retina displays would be very low, making the iPad's price over $2000. Power consumption would result in about one hour of battery life, but that would be spread over dozens of reboots because it would overheat and shut down after about one minute. You really, really don't want a 2048x1536 iPad with current technology. Wait several years. I'm hoping the 2012 iPad will be 1280x960.

Comment

dnaida

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2010
ahhh not again!:(
i d better like to see an iPad update in june with the iPhone 5 update

Comment

Darkashnet

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
If they're just adding a camera, I'll keep my current one.

If they add more RAM... Well, it depends how good it runs iOS4.2

Comment

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
Although an iPad with FaceTime would be cool (if this second generation has it, which it probably will), the thing I'd really like would be Skype with video calls. I know loads of people on Skype, but no-one with a FaceTime-capable device (yet).

Anyway, I'm just dreaming. I know Skype in iOS won't have video calling for a long time, if ever. Part of the reason being how much processing power the video encoding requires in Mac OS (which would probably carry over to an iOS implementation)!

Comment

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
I wonder what extra's it's going to offer.

If it's not high-res, what else could there be? I'm guessing:

• More RAM (512MB), almost for sure
  • Gyro (badly needed anyway)
  • Front cam (also pretty sure)
  • Back cam maybe, though I personally couldn't care less
  • Speed bump / battery life
  • Maybe a smaller form factor option, like 7"

I can't think of much more, and it all sounds very bland. I'll probably end up skipping the 2.0 altogether. I'm discounting the high-res option altogether by the way. Don't see it happen (although 1280x960 maybe but I don't think they'll want to bother developers with another resolution unless they go 2x all the way).

Comment

nyprospect

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2004
Damn it.My head is about to explode.I was close to purchasing a new ipad ,then this.Steve hates me.:(

Comment

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
Damn it.My head is about to explode.I was close to purchasing a new ipad ,then this.

Write down your top three reasons for wanting an iPad. If gaming or video chat or both are on the list, then wait. If they are not on your top three list, buy one now.

Comment

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
Component shipments are expected in the beginning of 2011 with product launch in the 1st Quarter of the year.

Sounds about right. The first iPad was released in April so this would fit perfectly to Apple's yearly product cycle.

Damn it.My head is about to explode.I was close to purchasing a new ipad ,then this.Steve hates me.:(

You'd still be looking at about 6 months with your product, think positive!

Comment

SteelWheel

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2008
The real question: Will those of use who got the 3G iPad and managed to get the no-longer-available-to-new-users unlimited data plan be allowed to transfer our plan to the 2nd gen iPad?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.