Supply Chain Hints at Apple Releasing Augmented Reality Headset No Later Than 2019

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 14, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Taiwanese manufacturer Quanta Computer, a primary assembler of the Apple Watch, has revealed that it is working on an augmented reality product for an undisclosed company that some industry observers believe is Apple.

[​IMG]
    Google Glass Enterprise Edition

Quanta's vice chairman C.C. Leung suggested the device will be a "headset-like gadget with a fully transparent lens that allows users to see through and interact with the environment," according to Nikkei Asian Review.

"Currently, we see such a device available in the market no later than the year 2019," he told reporters after the company's earnings conference.

Leung noted that if an augmented reality device could carry a price tag lower than $1,000, it would likely become a hit in the market, although it is unlikely he has any knowledge of Apple's pricing plans if they even exist yet.

Quanta is the second Apple supplier to mention involvement with an augmented reality product after fellow Taiwanese company Catcher Technology said it has been tapped to supply parts for an undisclosed wearable device.

Bloomberg was among the first to report on Apple's work on an augmented reality headset. It said Apple aims to have the technology ready by 2019, and could ship a finished product as early as 2020, which is a slightly longer timeline.

The headset's custom operating system, based on iOS, is reportedly dubbed "rOS" for "reality operating system."

Apple hasn't finalized how users will control the headset and launch apps, but it is investigating touchscreens, Siri voice activation, and head gestures as it creates prototypes, the report said.

Apple CEO Tim Cook alluded to any headset being at least a few years away during a recent interview about augmented reality.

"Today I can tell you that the technology itself doesn't exist to do that in a quality way," Cook said. "We don't give a rats about being first, we want to be best in creating people's experiences. Something that you would see out in the market any time soon would not be something that any of us would be satisfied with."

Cook has repeatedly expressed a "profound interest" in augmented reality, which he favors over virtual reality. Apple's ARKit platform on iOS 11 enables developers to integrate augmented reality features into iPhone and iPad apps, potentially laying the foundation for what's to come.

Article Link: Supply Chain Hints at Apple Releasing Augmented Reality Headset No Later Than 2019

2. macsplusmacs macrumors 6502

2 is years...

Include this year and you get a "few".

;)

3. Gorms macrumors 6502

Gorms

Really? It was literally only two posts ago that the iPhone wasn't getting the true depth back camera until 2019. There is zero chance these come out before iPhone has had true depth back camera for at least a year.

4. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I don’t think I could ever see myself wearing something like this.

5. Avieshek, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017

Avieshek macrumors 6502a

Avieshek

6. WinstonRumfoord macrumors 6502

This makes no sense whatsoever.

The only way I see AR being viable at the moment, other than through a phone camera+screen, is for engineering/visualization/medical needs. And this industrial market is one apple never has nor ever will go after.

7. Darryl.Jenks macrumors regular

Darryl.Jenks

No thanks, but wake me when they get back in the computer business.

8. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

To be honest, all I want to see from Apple is a Mac mini with upgradable DDR4, Thunderbolt 3, the latest PCIe SSDs and quad-core Coffee Lake...

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No thanks. If these are actually announced they'll be known as Tim's Folly. It's not a matter of being able to do it better. It's just creepy. No one likes creepy. It's why the other glasses of various tech have failed. It's not the tech.

10. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

Reality Operation System...

...hmm.

... I might invent this time machine after all. And my wife will look beautiful. I maybe will put the children through puberty a little faster too...
    ...interesting possibilities!

11. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

We'll probably see these before a new Mac Pro or Mac Mini...

12. AppleWarMachine macrumors 65816

AppleWarMachine

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

True, but we haven’t seen them yet. If for some reason they can fit somewhat unintrusively with current lenses then it might be a hit.

14. madKIR macrumors 6502

It's not even a given they will end up releasing those. Apple Car anyone?

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Have you ever tried to wear a Mac Pro on your head?!??! :eek: ;)

16. FelixDerKater macrumors 68020

FelixDerKater

17. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I don't have to see them. They could be a stunning work of art. Not the point. People will recognize them as Apple AR glasses just like people know Ray-Bans, Maui Jims, Persols, etc. It's the creep factor, not the design. It's just a bridge too far.

18. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

As a matter of fact yes... it's why I need a new one and not a new pair of AR glasses :D

19. HurtinMinorKey macrumors 6502

Cool. Only 2-3 years behind the competition. That's always worked so well for Apple.

20. a.gomez macrumors 6502a

a.gomez

Well they getting the Microsoft HoloLens. Now all they need is copy the Surface-pro and they be in 2015. Not bad.

21. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Definitely before a new Mac Mini.... In any case, having worn glasses all my life, I can tell you that people will not like massive, heavy frames. Why not? Well, first, it'd be uncomfortable. Second, you might as well paint 'kick me - I'm a dork' on your forehead.

22. LukasValine macrumors regular

LukasValine

But 2020 is the perfect year to introduce AR glasses.

23. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

What competition would that be? Google? LOL

24. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

I can’t wait for this one. Totally excited. Justtakemymoney.gif

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Not buying this rumor. An Apple VR product seems highly unlikely in the near term. AR appears to be the stalking horse for VR, but Apple will probably want to see how AR evolves before making a major commitment to VR. For now, VR is a solution looking for a problem, and good luck explaining to the average consumer why they'd want to buy it. Google has struggled with this explanation from the start, and struggles with it still. Not the path Apple will take.