Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
This makes no sense whatsoever.

The only way I see AR being viable at the moment, other than through a phone camera+screen, is for engineering/visualization/medical needs. And this industrial market is one apple never has nor ever will go after.

I agree. As great as Apple is, I don’t think even they can convince the masses to adopt glasses.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I could see them releasing this for gaming, but that's pretty much it right now.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
This makes no sense whatsoever.

The only way I see AR being viable at the moment, other than through a phone camera+screen, is for engineering/visualization/medical needs. And this industrial market is one apple never has nor ever will go after.
On the contrary, Apple is diving deep into healthcare with its researchKit and careKit. Various healthcare institutions and pharma companies are jumping on the platform.

https://www.apple.com/lae/researchkit/

Reactions: DeepIn2U

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Seems like a lot of readers here are not interested in AR glasses and that is fine - it is a individual decision.

Personally, I am very excited about them. If anyone wants to learn more about the appeal and potential of AR glasses, I highly recommend "The Fourth Transformation". There are both technical (battery life, user interface, etc.) and societal (privacy, social acceptance, distracted driving, etc.) challenges to overcome but there is a tremendous upside to the technology.

https://www.amazon.com/Fourth-Trans...0678552&sr=8-1&keywords=fourth+transformation

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Likely an incredibly niche market for these . But there will be a market none the less, but it also depends at what price point as well. I do however, question 2019 being a release date. I believe it's further out than 2019 being projected.

Reactions: h0n24

Speechless

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2015
Non-gentrified Brooklyn.
I..doubt this

..but i'm all in for VR ;). I think people are turned off by this because of Google's failed headset but I really think it might be different for Apple. It kinda reminds me of the Apple Watch. People scoffed at it and called it every name in the book during the rumor mill.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Can't those hideous things just be erased from the interwebs already. Baaaah!

Mexicola

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2015
I'm still not sure what the use case is for this. iPhone was a revolutionary product primarily due to the high desire among the public for a desktopish web browser experience. I haven't seen the same demand for at a glance notifications, which was the Apple Watch's forte until the pivot to fitness/health. I feel like designers are falling into the trap of thinking the huge draw to Pokemon Go was the AR, which is not accurate, and sells the game designers WAY short. That game was just fun to play, because it was designed very well. The AR was a gimmick.

Methinks, that for this case, AR is a solution looking for a problem. Not that the tech doesn't have great uses, I just don't think this will be one of them. I'm waiting for the full-windshield HUD for cars with obstacle and threat highlighting. Casting Waze alerts + camera + radar = Top Gun.

kingjames1970

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
Hampshire, UK
Truth is that Apple often sees why we would need something before we do. I had no idea why I would want a giant iPhone that couldn't make phone calls and then I went onto develop iPad apps. Most recent example is FaceID, had no idea why I would need it until the first time I checked my bank balance by looking at the screen to authenticate - now TouchID seems clunky. Not saying they alway hit it out the park but we always seem to decry the idea before using the actual product.

Reactions: h0n24 and artfossil

Sill

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
Not buying this rumor. An Apple VR product seems highly unlikely in the near term. AR appears to be the stalking horse for VR, but Apple will probably want to see how AR evolves before making a major commitment to VR. For now, VR is a solution looking for a problem, and good luck explaining to the average consumer why they'd want to buy it. Google has struggled with this explanation from the start, and struggles with it still. Not the path Apple will take.

This isn't a rumor, its reality. I've been referring to the "Magic" initiative at Apple in posts here for well over a year. Magic has been in the playbook at Apple practically since the iPhone was released, and some of the concepts in it go back a lot farther. AR is a huge chunk of Magic.

I mentioned in a post over a week ago that Tim Cook's Apple was "executing a road map that was laid out for him a bit less than ten years ago. Apple has exactly one more new hardware category coming out after Homepod, plus a software framework that will unify everything, and then that map is done." These AR glasses are the "new hardware category" I referred to. The software, called "rOS" in the article, is going to be the make-it-or-break-it piece of the whole thing, and it forms the basis of Magic. The glasses will be probably be works of art compared to what we will have seen prior to them, but regardless of their quality the software is the missing link that has not popped up at Google, Facebook, Microsoft or anywhere else. Lots of talent at those companies, but so far they have completely missed having an underlying purpose to what they sell in the AR field, other than "grab money, suck up more data on people".

The iPhone, the Watch, AirPods, even the Homepod - all are going to be part of a seamless experience in AR. These glasses are the final bit of hardware needed for it to be a complete solution in not just AR, but also automation, information, social media and many things that the ridiculous "IoT" has been sold as so far. The "rOS" mentioned in the article is something far removed from anything you've thought of, not just in terms of capability but also in usability. Apple has an entirely new interface planned for this. As is typical of the old Apple, it is as simple as simple can be, but incredibly powerful and adaptable to the user.

FWIW, I agree VR just isn't going to happen, no matter how much the tech crowd wants it to. The technology limitations are too hard to solve. The audio can happen with spatial mastering, similar to DTS:X or Atmos, but the visual component is most likely going to require a direct connection. Lets leave the whole "jacking in" thing to Gibson novels and bad mid-90s comic books.
AR is a completely different animal, and properly realized it will make an enormous difference in technology. People are going to be surprised at what the Watch will ultimately do - even the gen 0 Watch - and we'll also see why recent iPhones have gotten more and more horsepower yet they don't seem to do much more. My initial estimate as of last month was that we were two years away from Magic, but with this news leaking now, chop at least six months off my estimate.

BTW: its no coincidence that the most common superlative at Keynotes of late is "Magical".

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
As long as it has a little remote that lets you scrub through your memories like that freaky Black Mirror episode, I'm all in.
[doublepost=1510689987][/doublepost]Google Glass was actually pretty cool. Aside from the horrendous battery life, it actually worked fairly well for some lightweight tasks. That said it was super fragile and finicky and I never really found a compelling real-world use case.

Then again, I'm one of those weirdos that turns off almost all notifications anyways.

If Apple could bring some technical prowess and design acumen, coupled with good use cases, such as navigation, I could see this happening.

Last edited:

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
I agree. As great as Apple is, I don’t think even they can convince the masses to adopt glasses.
IF they can pull off lightweight design with ability to mirror amount of information that Apple Watch can display, I’ll totally buy it. May not be for the masses now but in a generation people will use it widely.

evangw

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
Here's a new rumor you can publish: they are going to release this in a bundle with the Apple Television and the Apple Car!!!

It has about as much research/fact/possibility-of-happening as this terrible rumor.

DrMotownMac

Contributor
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan
Seems like a lot of readers here are not interested in AR glasses and that is fine - it is a individual decision.

Personally, I am very excited about them. If anyone wants to learn more about the appeal and potential of AR glasses, I highly recommend "The Fourth Transformation". There are both technical (battery life, user interface, etc.) and societal (privacy, social acceptance, distracted driving, etc.) challenges to overcome but there is a tremendous upside to the technology.

https://www.amazon.com/Fourth-Trans...0678552&sr=8-1&keywords=fourth+transformation

I totally agree, and I've read that book too. It basically lays out the argument(s) for why AR, or MR (mixed reality), are THE technologies of the future and they can be utilized in virtually every industry. Clearly this can be used in medicine and medical education. But what about education in general? Imagine being able to put on a pair of glasses and instead of taking video courses through Lynda.com or Udemy.com, you can be virtually transported to a lecture hall in another country. Or to a laboratory, or a museum, or an archeological dig...? How about instead of making Skype or FaceTime calls with people, being able to have a conference call in "Mixed Reality" where everyone appears to be in the same room, sitting at the same conference table, talking to each other? Yes, they probably need more computing horsepower, faster internet speeds, etc. But this is more than just a gimmick...this is would be plain old COOL!

Finally, the movie "Ready Player One" is coming out in March, 2018. While the book has been extremely popular among the sci-fi nerd crowd (myself and my friends included), most people I know in the mainstream have never heard of it. But once this new Spielberg movie is released, the potential of VR/AR/MR will become part of our pop culture. While many people have a vague idea of what this technology is (they've seen the displays at Microsoft Stores, they have kids who play Pokemon Go, etc.), they don't REALLY understand the true potential. For those of you who haven't read "Ready Player One," I highly suggest you do so. It's the first book of dystopic science fiction I've read in YEARS that really made me see some general possibilities for our future reality. I think the technology for something similar to The Oasis could exist in the future, and it's not hard to see how it could be revolutionary for how we live our lives. The first step is to move the smart phone technology over to glasses/goggles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.