Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
As the question states... if iPhone X is all of what you feel it will be... will you be lining up outside the Apple Store to get one given supply will be limited? If so, have you lined up before for other phones or will it be your first time?

Last edited:

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
As the question states... if iPhone 8 is all of what you feel it will be... will you be lining up outside the Apple Store to get one given supply will be limited? If so, have you lined up before for other phones or will it be your first time?
There won't be any iPhone 8 in stores at launch. Same like the Jet Black version last year.

Reactions: DUIduckSAUCE

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
If the supply rumors are true, it may be exclusively available online, because frankly, if stores received them then there would only be a few per store most likely, and that would result in a lot of angry fans. The 7s will be in stores though I'm sure. Actually, getting customers in the door would probably result in more 7s sales because they wouldn't want to leave empty handed.

Reactions: AJsAWiz

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
No way. I wouldn't line up at an Apple Store for anything they were selling. Apple Stores are bad enough just going inside to buy things in the normal way or to visit the genius bar. Like the others have stated, if I want an iPhone 8 I'll either order it or wait 3 or 4 months after it's released to buy it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I think the only people who line up are the ones who enjoy the line experience. It's much easier to just wake up when preordering starts online, take 5 minutes to place an order, go back to sleep and wait for it to be delivered to you.

This is a big part of it. Some line up beside its turned into a tradition more than anything in hopes of achieving the newest iPhone. Unfortunately, scalpers have taken away from the experience if there was any stock to begin with. But preordering online has become increasingly popular over the years and more simplistic.

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
Even though I’ve been in the Apple Upgrade Program for the last two years (with AT&T), preordering/reserving the iPhone 8 isn’t an option for me because my carrier is T-Mobile (switched a few months ago) and T-Mobile customers don’t have the option to preorder/reserve. So, in order to get the phone on launch day, I’ve basically gotta be one of the first people in line.

I’ve got nothing better to do, so I guess I’ll take a shot and try to wait in line. I stay up all night anyway, so it’s not a huge deal. Still sucks that I can’t reserve an iPhone through the upgrade program like the other carriers can.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
No.
I would spend that time on playing more SC2 than waiting a damn phone that will cost over 1000 USD.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Never lined up for a phone, but I will be smashing the refresh button in the minute leading up to the online release!

I just use the mobile application. It appears quicker Over the desktop site (And usually is up and running Over the desktop site when it goes live) and I am able to quickly put my order in without issue.

Reactions: AppleKarma

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Currently using a Galaxy S8+ so I don't have the Apple Store app (or did I miss it on the play store, been awake for a long period). Maybe I can borrow someones iPad or something, don't want to be stuck with a long wait if there's long supply times!

It's an available download on the App Store and is much improved Over the years. I use it for all my orders and preorders, no crashes or issues. It's also straight forward with selecting and not convoluted for what you want to choose for purchasing.

Reactions: akash.nu

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
It's an available download on the App Store and is much improved Over the years. I use it for all my orders and preorders, no crashes or issues. It's also straight forward with selecting and not convoluted for what you want to choose for purchasing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, you can't do the "Apple upgrade program" thing within the app right?

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
If stock is low, no way in going to queue overnight, only to to be told there's no more stock left as I near the shop. Online pre order as usual.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
No way. I wouldn't line up at an Apple Store for anything they were selling. Apple Stores are bad enough just going inside to buy things in the normal way or to visit the genius bar. Like the others have stated, if I want an iPhone 8 I'll either order it or wait 3 or 4 months after it's released to buy it.

I used to do the "line up" routine but, it became increasingly difficult to get the new models that way. So, I vowed to never wait in those Apple release lines again. I'm sticking with pre ordering (if available) or ordering it online with Apple. That, too, has become increasingly more difficult. So, like you, I may have to wait a few months or more to get it then. The problem here is, that if I've waited long enough I might as well wait, for the next big thing. And the process repeats. LOL
[doublepost=1503139404][/doublepost]
I just use the mobile application. It appears quicker Over the desktop site (And usually is up and running Over the desktop site when it goes live) and I am able to quickly put my order in without issue.

I've seen others making that same comment . . . must be true.
[doublepost=1503139739][/doublepost]I'm taking my chances with online ordering. Either it works or I end up (like online ordering with my iPad Pro) waiting for a future shipment at a later date. It's becoming more difficult to get an Apple launch day product on launch day. As another poster commented, in part thanks to the scalpers out there. The only thing that will stop scalping is people not paying exorbitant prices for this stuff. As long as there are people, out there, willing to pay the price scalpers will exist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.