Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you own a Surface device

• Yes I own a Surface Pro or Surfacebook - it’s great

Votes: 161 53.0%
  • Yes I own a Surface laptop - it’s great

Votes: 35 11.5%
  • No - i’m not a fan

Votes: 61 20.1%
  • Not anymore I had a bad experience

Votes: 47 15.5%

• Total voters

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
The build quality is brilliant, the Surface Pro is light but also it feels like a premium device at the same time. The Alcantara keyboard is awesome, it's also well made along with the slot for the Surface Slim Pen 2, which i personally prefer over the older Surface Pen. Battery life is an improvement over the Pro 6 which i tried a couple years back, but it really will depend on the task. Like with anything, if you start playing a game or doing anything intense, the battery will go down quicker.

The speakers are really good, I've watched a couple of Netflix shows on it so far, i was surprised at how loud the speakers can get for such a small, light and portable computer.
BTW I like the red alcantara keyboard! Thanks for your responses!! Good to know!

I have a Surface laptop 4 and I wish they made a black model with red alcantara, mine is platinum with alcantara but with AMD processor. I am hoping for a Laptop 5 with 120hz screen and slimmer bezels but my 4 is a great device and I use it a lot!

Reactions: Dave245 and Queen6

Maukey

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
So I've been following this thread for a while. I've been a HUGE fan of the Surface Pro line since it's inception. I tried a couple of the early Surface Pro iterations but couldn't justify a use case for it, plus being so heavily invested in the apple ecosystem. When the Surface Pro 8 with it's redesign was announced, I immediately started drooling. However, I still couldn't justify a use case for it so I initially passed. Fast forward to a couple of weeks back, I was browsing Best Buy and saw that they had a Surface Pro 8 i7 16GB Ram 256GB SSD (Graphite) on sale, along with the matching Signature Keyboard, Pen 2, and Arc Mouse. On an impulse, I purchased it. Long story short, it's one of the best decisions I ever made. It has overtaken my 12.9 iPad Pro, which is now up for sale, as my big tablet companion. It's much better at being what I need a big tablet to be. So versatile. Windows 11 is much improved and I get FULL functionality out of it, whether it's consumption or productivity. Yes the iPad Pro is a little better at being a tablet, but the SP8 in my opinion is MUCH better at productivity and just overall usability, at least for me. I still have my iPad Air 4 for short commutes and quick browsing/consumption, but as far as a big tablet goes, the Surface Pro 8 is new king for me. I've actually been using it more than my 16" M1 Pro MacBook Pro. Just very thrilled with this device. So versatile.

Maukey

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
How is the battery life?
If there is a weakness, it's battery life, at least in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad, but coming from all my Apple devices that all have amazing battery life, the SP8 is no question a step or 2 down. It's not a device I'd ever leave my house with for the day without the charger unless you're doing light tasks. If I start the day off with a full charge, I usually need to find a charger around 3 or 4 pm, just short of a full work day. That's doing what I consider basic things I do on a big tablet like movies, YouTube, browsing with multiple tabs, maybe some excel/word, light gaming, etc. Now being realistic, I can easily take it to work with me and get through a full work day without the charger as most of the day I'm working and only pull it out for short breaks or lunch. But if you're a person who actually uses it for work, I am of the opinion that you'll need the charger unless you're only using Office or other light apps. I'll still use my iPad Air 4 when I need an all day battery life tablet. The SP8 gives me the flexibility I sometimes need. It's the device I'm more than likely to take with me when I go on vacations, long trips, or even day trips where I need the flexibility of both a tablet and full computer. Much easier than carrying both my MBP and IPA4. And as blasphemous as this sounds coming from an Apple fan, I just enjoy using the SP8 more. It's more fun to use. Maybe it's the newness factor, but so far that's how I feel.

• Love
Reactions: Queen6 and LeeW

The_Interloper

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
If there is a weakness, it's battery life, at least in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad, but coming from all my Apple devices that all have amazing battery life, the SP8 is no question a step or 2 down. It's not a device I'd ever leave my house with for the day without the charger unless you're doing light tasks. If I start the day off with a full charge, I usually need to find a charger around 3 or 4 pm, just short of a full work day. That's doing what I consider basic things I do on a big tablet like movies, YouTube, browsing with multiple tabs, maybe some excel/word, light gaming, etc. Now being realistic, I can easily take it to work with me and get through a full work day without the charger as most of the day I'm working and only pull it out for short breaks or lunch. But if you're a person who actually uses it for work, I am of the opinion that you'll need the charger unless you're only using Office or other light apps. I'll still use my iPad Air 4 when I need an all day battery life tablet. The SP8 gives me the flexibility I sometimes need. It's the device I'm more than likely to take with me when I go on vacations, long trips, or even day trips where I need the flexibility of both a tablet and full computer. Much easier than carrying both my MBP and IPA4. And as blasphemous as this sounds coming from an Apple fan, I just enjoy using the SP8 more. It's more fun to use. Maybe it's the newness factor, but so far that's how I feel.
Doesn't the SP8 have the ability to run/charge off an external USB-C battery pack?

Maukey

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Doesn't the SP8 have the ability to run/charge off an external USB-C battery pack?
You know what, I forgot about that. I think I did read that it can charge via the magnetic charging connector or via USBC. Just glancing at the Microsoft support document, you do have to make sure the USBC charger you're using has enough wattage or else it may charge very slowly. So as long as you have a strong enough battery pack, that's definitely a good option.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I ended up returning my Pro 8, even tho i like the form factor (the kickstand is awesome) i just couldn't get along with Windows in the end. Also battery life was not the best. I've returned to using my iPad Pro and my MacBook.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I ended up returning my Pro 8, even tho i like the form factor (the kickstand is awesome) i just couldn't get along with Windows in the end. Also battery life was not the best. I've returned to using my iPad Pro and my MacBook.
I think that's the crux of the matter. My aging Acer Switch 5 with it's lowly i3 CPU still gets the job done. I have no need or feeling to replace the Switch 5 as it does exactly as intended and then some....

Q-6

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014

That's why I'm waiting for Surface Pro powered by AMD 15W 6000U/7000U or until Intel ditches 10nm for 5nm/3nm. Hopefully Surface Pro 9 or they don't get my business.

Reactions: VaruLV and Dave245

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
i want to try the new surface laptop go 2...but if i configure it as i want to...
-8gb ram
-256ssd
-i5
it starts from $999
This is clearly focus on microosft users because i think the M1 mba with 8gb ram its starts from 999 too ?!

• Haha
Reactions: mi7chy and LeeW

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
This is clearly focus on microosft users because i think the M1 mba with 8gb ram its starts from 999 too ?!

Might as well save your money and get a Chromebook since there's no professional software. Here's a small portion of industry software that don't run on MacOS:

revit
alias
navisworks
ansys
abaqus
siemens nx
orcad
altium
catia
pvsyst
hypermill
realitycapture
cst studio
pathwave ads
awr microwave office
ltspice
simetrix
spacerad
fastrad
delmia apriso
star-ccm+

• Haha
Reactions: MayaUser

Queen6

macrumors G4
Might as well save your money and get a Chromebook since there's no professional software. Here's a small portion of industry software that don't run on MacOS:

revit
alias
navisworks
ansys
abaqus
siemens nx
orcad
altium
catia
pvsyst
hypermill
realitycapture
cst studio
pathwave ads
awr microwave office
ltspice
simetrix
spacerad
fastrad
delmia apriso
star-ccm+
Running with a Mac in many professional realms can be difficult, equally not impossible & needs flexibility. I opted for the Mac for battery runtime, it's paid dividends over the years. 2014 13" MBP paid for itself tenfold in a single click of the button with over 10 hours on battery. This is why I will always keep a Mac in my rotation, as this is something Apple has a master class in with a desktop OS...

Q-6

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I opted for the Mac for battery runtime

Anything Intel is a last choice for battery life until they move off of 10nm. If I want battery life I'd go AMD without giving up all the professional software, AAA games, etc. and why I only use MBA M1 as a Chromebook although an expensive one.

Reactions: Queen6

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011

revit
alias
navisworks
ansys
abaqus
siemens nx
orcad
altium
catia
pvsyst
hypermill
realitycapture
cst studio
pathwave ads
awr microwave office
ltspice
simetrix
spacerad
fastrad
delmia apriso
star-ccm+
Has anyone heard of any of these products?

Apple only pro software is Devonthink alone right there which I can’t get on windows. (I use it everyday)

Vellum is mac only and it is widely used for publishing ebooks and paper books.

There are others. My point is use whatever you have to and makes sense for your situation.

If you need those products listed above, you already have a Windows machine anyway. :)

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021

revit
alias
navisworks
ansys
abaqus
siemens nx
orcad
altium
catia
pvsyst
hypermill
realitycapture
cst studio
pathwave ads
awr microwave office
ltspice
simetrix
spacerad
fastrad
delmia apriso
star-ccm+
Exactly what i said...this surface is for those stuck on windows

Sorry, but at least i can and i tried running and working on my Maya projects with the M1 ...and this surface laptop go is a joke for professional software that i use
Again surface laptop go is a chromebook alternative, while M1 Mba is much more
But thanks for the smile :))

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: mi7chy

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Has anyone heard of any of these products?

Ask Apple since they run Windows/Linux x64 to design Apple products.

https://jobs.apple.com/en-us/details/200306922/mac-product-design-cad-engineer?team=HRDWR
NX, Solidworks and Pro/Engineer are Windows x64.

https://jobs.apple.com/en-us/details/200006734/digital-layout-designer?team=HRDWR
Siemens/Mentor Graphics and Cadence are Windows/Linux x64.

There are no alternatives for these professional engineering tools on MacOS while book creation tool like Vellum are a dime a dozen such as free Reedsys, multiplatform Atticus, Scrivener, etc.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Probably the wrong place to ask but anyway, was just reading a comment from @maflynn earlier in this thread and noted he appears to have retired/been retired and not been online for a couple of months. Does anyone know what happened?

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Ask Apple since they run Windows/Linux x64 to design Apple products.

https://jobs.apple.com/en-us/details/200306922/mac-product-design-cad-engineer?team=HRDWR
NX, Solidworks and Pro/Engineer are Windows x64.

https://jobs.apple.com/en-us/details/200006734/digital-layout-designer?team=HRDWR
Siemens/Mentor Graphics and Cadence are Windows/Linux x64.

There are no alternatives for these professional engineering tools on MacOS while book creation tool like Vellum are a dime a dozen such as free Reedsys, multiplatform Atticus, Scrivener, etc.
Trust me, I use Scrivener as well, it is NOT Vellum. Neither are Reedsy and Atticus. Atticus at some point might be but you have to use the cloud.

And what is the windows equivalent for Devonthink? You won’t find one that has its level of sophistication.

Heck, Alfred. Where is an app like Alfred.

Reactions: MayaUser

The_Interloper

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Trust me, I use Scrivener as well, it is NOT Vellum. Neither are Reedsy and Atticus. Atticus at some point might be but you have to use the cloud.

And what is the windows equivalent for Devonthink? You won’t find one that has its level of sophistication.

Heck, Alfred. Where is an app like Alfred.
Both platforms have their essential apps. Mac is now particularly strong in creative fields again (Vellum, DevonThink, Final Cut Pro, Bear, Logic Pro etc). The platform is even stronger when combined with the iPad to create a workflow involving, say, ProCreate, AstroPad or even built-in tools like Sidecar.

Windows, on the other hand, dominates in fields like engineering, CAD etc but also has programs there are no equivalents for on the Mac, like Dragon Professional dictation software. The Mac was once the best platform for everything, as you could use your Windows apps in Boot Camp or a VM, but those days are sadly gone.

The loss of utility with Intel has been replaced by the power and efficiency of Apple Silicon. At the end of the day, you have to pick the platform that fits for the apps you need, regardless of architecture.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Both platforms have their essential apps. Mac is now particularly strong in creative fields again (Vellum, DevonThink, Final Cut Pro, Bear, Logic Pro etc). The platform is even stronger when combined with the iPad to create a workflow involving, say, ProCreate, AstroPad or even built-in tools like Sidecar.

Windows, on the other hand, dominates in fields like engineering, CAD etc but also has programs there are no equivalents for on the Mac, like Dragon Professional dictation software. The Mac was once the best platform for everything, as you could use your Windows apps in Boot Camp or a VM, but those days are sadly gone.

The loss of utility with Intel has been replaced by the power and efficiency of Apple Silicon. At the end of the day, you have to pick the platform that fits for the apps you need, regardless of architecture.
Perfectly said.

Queen6

macrumors G4

My thought's exactly. I don't get into the fight these day's and get the best out of both platforms as a result. Apple M1/M2 has killer perforce & battery longevity in a limited ecosystem. Window's is well Window's with all the legacy baggage, is what it is. Just use what serves you best :)

Q-6

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
i want to try the new surface laptop go 2...but if i configure it as i want to...
-8gb ram
-256ssd
-i5
it starts from $999
Don't do it. Surface Laptops are always one sale. I just gotfrom BestBuy a Surface Laptop 4 in black with Amd Ryzen 5, 16gb ram and 256gb ssd for $899. It will destroy the performance and build quality of the Go 2. The Intel models always have the fan running and blast through the battery while AMD models may not have as much single core performance make up for it in multi core performance and run cooler with much better battery life. The Surface laptop 4 is very nice but not as nice as the new M2 airs. There is a huge difference in price though. A Decent configured air is like $1800 or more while a Surface you can get a decent configuration for under $1000.

Always get Surface products on sale. You will have to wait as when they first release any model you won't find decent discounts but 6 months or longer and you can get significant savings.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Ok so random question, can you connect a Surface Pro to a TV wirelessly? Like with Samsung Dex you can cast the phone or tablet to a TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.