Surface is a LAPTOP & iPad Pro is a TABLET. PERIOD

Discussion in 'iPad' started by seasurfer, Nov 28, 2015.

1. seasurfer macrumors 6502a

I have seen so many news article, youtube videos, forum thread comparing the both. Some really liked the Surface and some the iPad Pro. Many of the arguments just sounded so stupid to me and clearly just trying to put the other down.

For those of you who like to compare who is better. Please think before comparing. It is like comparing an apple to an orange.

The Surface is a laptop. It has the extra capability to function like a tablet, but it is not build to be a full tablet. PERIOD. So, if you need a laptop more than a tablet, than this is your choice, go for it. Don't bother with the iPad Pro.

The iPad Pro is a tablet. It is made as such and marketed as such. No one ever said it is a laptop replacement. It is not made to be a laptop. The operating system is clearly made to function as a tablet, not a laptop. If you think you will need laptop functions, don't buy the iPad Pro, it is not for you. But if you think, you need it as a big and powerful tablet, go for it. This is your device.

And if you really want a laptop and a tablet. Go get yourself a MacBook Pro and the iPad Pro and you can enjoy both.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Oh stop it. Try to come here with common sense. This is Macrumors. We don't dwell on details.

I like oranges...

3. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

I think we have about 20 threads expressing the same sentiments.

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    The iPP is a tablet, and the SP4 is a laptabtoplettopletplet.

Don't make me say it again. :mad:

5. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

Ha, true... not like we needed another one.

6. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

An Apple is an apple and an orange is an orange. Period.

A hamburger is a hamburger and a filet-o-fish is a filet-o-fish. Period.

People are allowed to make comparisons between the two but all it results in are comparisons of two objects that are completely different that are subject to personal taste/opinions. I'm an Apple and Filet-o-fish person..... See? Ain't our differences grand?

7. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

But the fillet o fish is not a good hamburger.

8. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

9. Ulenspiegel, Nov 28, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2015

Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

“I think if you’re looking at a PC, why would you buy a PC anymore? No really, why would you buy one?” Yes, the iPad Pro is a replacement for a notebook or a desktop for many, many people...” (Tim Cook interview in The Telegraph).
    I am sure you have an explanation for the quoted text as well, haven't you?

10. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Come on, Cook never said that! It's a false rumor spread by M$ $hill$!

The nerves on teh M$$$$$!!!!!!!

:D

11. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Simply stated, there are lots of folks with basic day-to-day computing needs for whom a tablet like the iPad Pro could serve as a primary device.

12. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

"No one ever said it is a laptop replacement" (seasurfer) ⇔ "Yes, the iPad Pro is a replacement for a notebook or a desktop for many, many people" (Tim Cook).
    Enough said.

13. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

I agree completely. Surface pro will eat the iPad pro for breakfast.

14. David58117 macrumors 65816

Except - my old SP3 was a much better tablet than the iPad Pro, in terms of hardware.

The kickstand made it so much nicer when laying in bed or sitting at a table. It was also a little smaller.

I think it's more - if you're an artist - get the iPad pro! The pencil is much better.

Also - if you're a student and already have a laptop and just need something supplemental - I think that's where the iPad Pro shines..

15. lchlch macrumors 6502a

Chrome books have replaced laptop for a lot of people.

Since the ipp is more powerful than chrome books, it is a laptop replacement for a lot of people.

16. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Cool story, bro.
    If it helps you to oversimplify things to the point of being nearly completely incorrect then you're off to a great start.

17. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Incorrect? How so?
    iPad not being a tablet, or surface not a laptop?

18. Macalway macrumors 68000

If you ask MS they will tell you the Surface is neither a laptop nor a tablet.

It is a 'Surface'

(heck, it ain't my idea)

19. noslenam macrumors member

noslenam

Well who cares what it is all I know is my iPad Pro just flat out works and the pencil is fantastic. As for the surface that I was issued for work a few days ago when I started training. It sucks!! I have to restart it an average of 5 times a day and what's worse is as I'm in the middle of following along with a presentation at Mach 5 and it freezes and by the time I can get the dam this working I'm 20-30 slides behind. Sad thing is this is the only device we can use and we will no longer be allowed to use paper references. Out of 35 people in training 3 have units that flat out didn't work. About 4 other are having the same issue as me. Quality control suck on the units. I look forward to getting back to the hotel and using my iPad for the rest of the day and I can actually get some work and studying done.
    Ok done venting. But yes who cares if it's a of or tablet if it doesn't work what good is it?

20. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Filet Mignon O' Fish is a tasty steak with a Fish on top.

Oh my, this is a great menu building class :)

21. ApplePhy macrumors 6502

You couldn't be more correct, OP.

just because the form factors are similar, doesn't make them equal.

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Just because things are not equal, doesn't mean we shouldn't compare them.

With the Surface and iPad Pro, not only are the form factors similar, but they do a lot of the same tasks. For instance, both can be used to read and respond to emails, browse the web, watch video, draw with a digital pen, take notes in class/meetings, run a presentation, etc. etc. etc. Actually, the more I think about it, the only major difference is that one has a file system and can be used to run legacy Windows programs, and the other only runs iOS apps.

23. mi7chy, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015

mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Wrong. That's like saying car brand A convertible and brand B convertible aren't convertibles. Both cars fall into convertible form factor but where they differ are performance and capabilities. For tablet use which is primarily web surfing and media consumption I find the SP4 better and more capable than my Android then iPad tablets due to better multitasking, full desktop Chrome browser with plugins, ability to easily have four or more windowed Chrome browsers opened, play three if not more videos simultaneously vs one, adjustable kickstand, non-distorting front facing speakers at near to max volume, superior keyboard/trackpad/fingerprint cover, flexibility with playing media sources from not only internet streaming but also internal storage, SD card, USB flash or LAN network storage and productivity is unmatched due to professional software availability and ability to output to external large screen display.

SP4 multitasking three simultaneous YouTube, Twitch.tv and movie videos and virtually unlimited windowed Chrome browsers.
    [​IMG]

TouchWiz/Android multitasking a close 2nd limited to two simultaneous Twitch.tv and movie videos and two mobile Chrome browsers.
    [​IMG]