SwiftKey Keyboard for iOS Gains Refreshed Design, Animated Themes and Support for 68 New Languages

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 18, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The Microsoft-owned SwiftKey Keyboard app for iOS today received a major update, introducing a refreshed design, new animated themes, and support for 68 new languages, bringing the total number of languages supported to 106.

SwiftKey's entire look and feel has been overhauled, with the Nickel Light and Nickel Dark themes gaining a new, cleaner design with flatter, wider keys and a simpler color scheme. The app also has a new icon.

[​IMG]

New animated themes are being added to SwiftKey, including "Cogs" and "Zig Zag," both of which feature subtle animations underneath the keyboard keys. In total, SwiftKey says there are six new themes available for users to download.

[​IMG]

With today's update, SwiftKey says it supports more languages than any other iOS keyboard available in the App Store. The new language options can be accessed through the "Languages" section of the SwiftKey container app. Users can download multiple languages and SwiftKey will automatically detect the language being used, providing word predictions.
    SwiftKey Keyboard can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: SwiftKey Keyboard for iOS Gains Refreshed Design, Animated Themes and Support for 68 New Languages

2. theheadguy, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017

theheadguy macrumors 65816

Microsoft is doing some really cool things, but of course they'll always be the devil to so many people here.

3. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

Apple should add swipe-typing to the stock keyboard :(

4. iToph macrumors regular

5. ghostface147 macrumors 68020

ghostface147

I liked the third party keyboard, but always had issues with them randomly now showing up or crashing. Especially in spotlight. Plus no voice dictation access. Are these still issues?

6. Rocketman macrumors 603

Rocketman

Those very people forget it was Microsoft that bailed out Apple when they were near bankrupt and made the mission critical apps that sold so many Apple II's and Macs early in their product lives.

7. UL2RA macrumors 6502

UL2RA

This is still my favorite keyboard and now it's even better. This is the only keyboard I've tried (and I've tried so many!) that actually learns my typing the best.

8. ashindnile macrumors 6502

I'm still waiting on the 'incognito mode' that the android version got a year ago. SwiftKey sometimes learns too much.

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You're right. Microsoft is completely different with Satya Nadella at the helm. They're actively showing how they're reinventing themselves. Office365 is actually good, Surface in its forms is desirable, and Windows 10 is efficient to use. Now if they could finally get away from some of Windows' inherent issues I may want to actually use the OS.

10. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68030

OldSchoolMacGuy

Remember that their privacy policy allows them to capture everything you type. All your texts, emails, websites, and more all go to Microsoft's database. Enjoy!

11. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

THIS!
    I wasn't sure but now that I read this... No thanks.

12. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

SwiftKey is great at learning what I type and making predictions in ways that Gboard and Apple's keyboard have never seemed to learn for me. Unfortunately, it still takes up an excessive amount of space on scaled-up iPhone apps on iPad, and it lacks any ability to search for or predict (except as a next "word" based on history) emoji, which Gboard does much better. I still prefer SwiftKey, however, so I hope these problems get addressed soon. And like all third-party keyboards I try, sometimes it just fails to appear, and Spotlight always uses Apple's keyboard for me. Glad to see Microsoft is at least still updating it.

13. anshuvorty macrumors 6502

anshuvorty

iOS 11 for sure....

14. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

I've been telling myself that since iOS 5 haha. At some point, it seems Apple just doesn't want that feature for whatever reason

15. 69Mustang, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017

69Mustang macrumors 601

69Mustang

Can I assume you've just made assumptions about what that policy allows and what it actually does? By that I mean, you have to sign up for a Swiftkey account for all that to happen. That info is here. Without a Swiftkey account, the info stays on the phone.

Sometimes, ironic coming from me in a forum I know, but sometimes it's better to actually research the information yourself instead of blindly assuming your fellow posters actually know what they're talking about. If you want to know what they do/don't do, try this. At least then, you're making an informed decision instead of a knee-jerk reaction.

16. Micool1 macrumors regular

Been using that keyboard since 3rd party keyboards were introduced and I love it! I hope it means they will be adding more themes because to be honest, they didn't add a lot since the beginning. In fact, there hasn't been much features added for a long time except for the new emojis. I'm glad they have started making some more substantial updates like this and the 3D Touch support a month ago!

17. JosephAW macrumors 65816

JosephAW

18. eicca macrumors regular

eicca

19. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

20. hagar macrumors 6502a

As long as it's near impossible to easily switch between keyboards on iOS, I'm out. Accidentally hitting the globe button and being catapulted in another dimension while typing is extremely annoying. Especially as the globe button is located at a different location on each keyboard, looks different and only contains the "Next keyboard" option on third party keyboards.

Apple urgently needs to redesign this mess.

21. UL2RA macrumors 6502

UL2RA

You must have pickle fingers since that rarely happens to me, but I can see how that'd be annoying.

22. Kaibelf macrumors 68000

Kaibelf

Let's not also pretend like Microsoft was dealing with that whole antitrust issue around that time and helping Apple was in many ways more self-serving than charity.

23. Rocketman macrumors 603

Rocketman

Antitrust law is why OPEC controls oil not Standard Oil. Would have avoided several wars and conflicts.

24. diegov12 macrumors member

The microsoft of today isn't the same microsoft that saved apple.

They've become a more aggressive google that happens to sell overpriced devices now.

And it doesn't help that their management is crapp at the moment.

25. freiheit macrumors 6502a

IMHO "flatter look" is not a "major update".

The one design feature sorely missing from SwiftKey for iOS which was in the original Android version is a 10-key interface for numeric entry.