SwiftKey Keyboard for iOS Gains Refreshed Design, Animated Themes and Support for 68 New Languages

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Microsoft-owned SwiftKey Keyboard app for iOS today received a major update, introducing a refreshed design, new animated themes, and support for 68 new languages, bringing the total number of languages supported to 106.

SwiftKey's entire look and feel has been overhauled, with the Nickel Light and Nickel Dark themes gaining a new, cleaner design with flatter, wider keys and a simpler color scheme. The app also has a new icon.

New animated themes are being added to SwiftKey, including "Cogs" and "Zig Zag," both of which feature subtle animations underneath the keyboard keys. In total, SwiftKey says there are six new themes available for users to download.

With today's update, SwiftKey says it supports more languages than any other iOS keyboard available in the App Store. The new language options can be accessed through the "Languages" section of the SwiftKey container app. Users can download multiple languages and SwiftKey will automatically detect the language being used, providing word predictions.
Supporting the many different languages spoken by our users around the world and delivering the best multilingual typing experience has always been one of our goals - and a point of pride for the SwiftKey team. We're incredibly excited to offer more language models than any other iOS keyboard available right now and we can't wait for you to get your hands on them.
SwiftKey Keyboard can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: SwiftKey Keyboard for iOS Gains Refreshed Design, Animated Themes and Support for 68 New Languages

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Microsoft is doing some really cool things, but if course they'll always be the devil to so many people here.
Those very people forget it was Microsoft that bailed out Apple when they were near bankrupt and made the mission critical apps that sold so many Apple II's and Macs early in their product lives.

UL2RA

Suspended
May 7, 2017
This is still my favorite keyboard and now it's even better. This is the only keyboard I've tried (and I've tried so many!) that actually learns my typing the best.

Reactions: nzgeorge and S G

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Those very people forget it was Microsoft that bailed out Apple when they were near bankrupt and made the mission critical apps that sold so many Apple II's and Macs early in their product lives.
You're right. Microsoft is completely different with Satya Nadella at the helm. They're actively showing how they're reinventing themselves. Office365 is actually good, Surface in its forms is desirable, and Windows 10 is efficient to use. Now if they could finally get away from some of Windows' inherent issues I may want to actually use the OS.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
SwiftKey is great at learning what I type and making predictions in ways that Gboard and Apple's keyboard have never seemed to learn for me. Unfortunately, it still takes up an excessive amount of space on scaled-up iPhone apps on iPad, and it lacks any ability to search for or predict (except as a next "word" based on history) emoji, which Gboard does much better. I still prefer SwiftKey, however, so I hope these problems get addressed soon. And like all third-party keyboards I try, sometimes it just fails to appear, and Spotlight always uses Apple's keyboard for me. Glad to see Microsoft is at least still updating it.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Remember that their privacy policy allows them to capture everything you type. All your texts, emails, websites, and more all go to Microsoft's database. Enjoy!
Can I assume you've just made assumptions about what that policy allows and what it actually does? By that I mean, you have to sign up for a Swiftkey account for all that to happen. That info is here. Without a Swiftkey account, the info stays on the phone.

THIS!
I wasn't sure but now that I read this... No thanks.
Sometimes, ironic coming from me in a forum I know, but sometimes it's better to actually research the information yourself instead of blindly assuming your fellow posters actually know what they're talking about. If you want to know what they do/don't do, try this. At least then, you're making an informed decision instead of a knee-jerk reaction.

Last edited:

Micool1

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2014
Been using that keyboard since 3rd party keyboards were introduced and I love it! I hope it means they will be adding more themes because to be honest, they didn't add a lot since the beginning. In fact, there hasn't been much features added for a long time except for the new emojis. I'm glad they have started making some more substantial updates like this and the 3D Touch support a month ago!

Reactions: S G

hagar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
As long as it's near impossible to easily switch between keyboards on iOS, I'm out. Accidentally hitting the globe button and being catapulted in another dimension while typing is extremely annoying. Especially as the globe button is located at a different location on each keyboard, looks different and only contains the "Next keyboard" option on third party keyboards.

Apple urgently needs to redesign this mess.

UL2RA

Suspended
May 7, 2017
As long as it's near impossible to easily switch between keyboards on iOS, I'm out. Accidentally hitting the globe button and being catapulted in another dimension while typing is extremely annoying. Especially as the globe button is located at a different location on each keyboard, looks different and only contains the "Next keyboard" option on third party keyboards.
You must have pickle fingers since that rarely happens to me, but I can see how that'd be annoying.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Let's not also pretend like Microsoft was dealing with that whole antitrust issue around that time and helping Apple was in many ways more self-serving than charity.

diegov12

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2015
The microsoft of today isn't the same microsoft that saved apple.

They've become a more aggressive google that happens to sell overpriced devices now.

And it doesn't help that their management is crapp at the moment.

Reactions: Craiguyver

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
IMHO "flatter look" is not a "major update".

The one design feature sorely missing from SwiftKey for iOS which was in the original Android version is a 10-key interface for numeric entry.

Reactions: S G