Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
This is why the average joe shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the design and development of hardware or software. Did you really just suggest that finding your iPhone, Swiping on it, Tapping on the remote app/widget, is easier than a dedicated dumb piece of hardware that is always next to the couch?

Macrumors never seizes to amaze me :D
For me that is more convenient yes. Also there is control center. swipe down on the top right of the screen and there’s a quick control.
also, if something is playing it shows up on your front screen even locked on your phone.
Most people have their phones on them or around them. Most people leave remote controls places they forget or in the other room so your phone at least for me is always around me. I use my appletv in two rooms and leave the controller in my bedroom. Also, the app is better than the remote imo. Big track pad and Buttons Are spread out enough I don’t have to look at my phone to press them. Also, the built in keyboard and Siri.
Another reason I use my phone more is I control other things with it too. All my 30+ lights and fans are controlled with my phone with HomeKit. My receiver is controlled with its own app as well as my nvidia shield. I barely use my harmony remoter because my phone does everything I want

Reactions: Baymowe335

gridlocked

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2019
RI
Looks like an IR remote with pre-programmed buttons so no home button.

If Apple made something like this (bluetooth or not) with a home button I'd pay $100 for it but I already have a great IR remote set up for it now. There's no reason the 'home' button couldn't also be an IR button either.
[automerge]1575936224[/automerge]
Sony and other third party / TV remotes have been compatible for years but they've always lacked Siri integration (even when they have a mic).

There's no home button via IR so its back, back back etc to reach the home page, other than that an IR remote is more convenient to me than dealing with all the mistakes via the touch pad.

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
Wow, I didn't even realize the Apple TV had an IR receiver. I thought it was just Bluetooth only.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Can’t you just use any remote? That’s what i do for one of mine. You can teach the Apple TV to recognize the button presses on arbitrary remotes.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Once you start watching, the remote use is pretty limited.
Navigating to find something to watch can be time consuming. Also, there are plenty of things to do on the ATV that isn't watching a video.

I just use the remote on my iPhone anyway.
I personally dislike the app.

The worse part of using the Siri Remote is using the touchpad, imo.

But, at least the Siri Remote has some physical buttons. Using the iPhone is like using one big touch pad.

Besides, there isn't a volume button on the remote app.

Reactions: decafjava

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
an’t you just use any remote? That’s what i do for one of mine. You can teach the Apple TV to recognize the button presses on arbitrary remotes.

I was thinking the same exact thing.

This remote, if it is IR, really isn't anything impressive.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Navigating to find something to watch can be time consuming. Also, there are plenty of things to do on the ATV that isn't watching a video.

I personally dislike the app.

The worse part of using the Siri Remote is using the touchpad, imo.

But, at least the Siri Remote has some physical buttons. Using the iPhone is like using one big touch pad.

Besides, there isn't a volume button on the remote app.
I don’t find it hard to use and I run my ATV through a receiver, so my volume control is handled with my Yamaha remote.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Can’t you just use any remote? That’s what i do for one of mine. You can teach the Apple TV to recognize the button presses on arbitrary remotes.

You can, but the layout of this Salt remote is perfect because it was designed specifically for the Apple TV--nothing more, nothing less.

Most IR remotes are designed to work with everything, so they unfortunately look something like this:

81H5yob7xEL._SX466_.jpg

Reactions: decafjava

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
You can, but the layout of this Salt remote is perfect because it was designed specifically for the Apple TV--nothing more, nothing less.

Most IR remotes are designed to work with everything, so they unfortunately look something like this:

View attachment 881755
Sure, but there are plenty of remotes out there with a much more limited set of buttons. Typically made for people with poor sight or old people - the one we use has a very small number of buttons.

Reactions: V_Man

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Sure, but there are plenty of remotes out there with a much more limited set of buttons. Typically made for people with poor sight or old people - the one we use has a very small number of buttons.

Do you know of one that's a good match for an Apple TV? Because the "old folk" remotes I've seen tend to have too few buttons, and the wrong ones at that ("channel up/down" and "power" for example).

This Salt remote's appeal to me, and I assume many others, is that it is "just right".
[automerge]1575949285[/automerge]
There's no home button via IR so its back, back back etc to reach the home page, other than that an IR remote is more convenient to me than dealing with all the mistakes via the touch pad.

Long-press Menu takes you to the home screen. This was how it was done on white and aluminum ATV remotes, because the Home button didn't make an appearance until ATV4 remote, but the functionality has always been there.

Last edited:

ThiGeever

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2015
I love the design of the Apple TV remote, however yeah, as a remote is not very usable. I would be very happy with +5sec and -5sec buttons. And make it a bit bigger, that tiny thing it’s not only difficult to hold, it constantly gets lost in my sofa.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Looks like an IR remote with pre-programmed buttons so no home button.

If Apple made something like this (bluetooth or not) with a home button I'd pay $100 for it but I already have a great IR remote set up for it now. There's no reason the 'home' button couldn't also be an IR button either.
Long-press Menu takes you to the home screen. This was how it was done on white and aluminum ATV remotes, because the Home button didn't make an appearance until ATV4 remote, but the functionality has always been there.

The Home button has more functionality than just going to the home screen.

Without the Home Button you cannot quickly switch to different apps nor can you close an app if needed.

With no Siri button and no Home button, there is little difference between this remote and most IR remotes.
[automerge]1575957298[/automerge]

View attachment 881755
One thing that you can do with the remotes in that photo is use the remote learning feature on tvOS and use the playback buttons.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA

View attachment 881755
Is there a remote like the Salt that has the right buttons for an AppleTV? Something relatively simple, like the Roku. My dad gets frustrated with the current remote and the ones pictured above would be worse. Any help would be appreciated :)

PS I get that black can be boring, but the fake wood grain on those remotes is really... something. Definitely not my cup of tea but maybe they sell really well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I put a strip of bright yellow tape on mine to help me orient it in a darkened room.

Still, the thing is so fiddly and sensitive that if you pick it up wrong while something is playing, it’s very easy to skip forward or back, or trigger whatever other unwanted command.
[automerge]1575958669[/automerge]
Is there a remote like the SALT that has the right buttons for an AppleTV? Something relatively simple, like the Roku. My dad gets frustrated with the current remote and the ones pictured above would be worse. Any help would be appreciated :)

PS I get that black can be boring, but the fake wood grain on those remotes is really... something. Definitely not my cup of tea but maybe they sell really well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The previous aluminum generation of Apple TV remote? Still a bit over simplified, but it does have a better form factor.

Reactions: PickUrPoison

Zachari

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
Washington, DC
This is why the average joe shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the design and development of hardware or software. Did you really just suggest that finding your iPhone, Swiping on it, Tapping on the remote app/widget, is easier than a dedicated dumb piece of hardware that is always next to the couch?

Macrumors never seizes to amaze me :D

That is definitely your opinion.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
<snip>
The previous aluminum generation of Apple TV remote? Still a bit over simplified, but it does have a better form factor.
That’s not a bad alternative, though the buttons on that are a little fiddly (I’m sensing a pattern here lol); the arrow keys in particular are pretty mushy. Apple could have done better.

But that’s a pretty good suggestion and I think I’ll give it a try. Thanks :)

Reactions: ignatius345

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
Unless you're watching a completed NFL game with their GamePass app and trying to fast forward through commercials....using the trackpad to try and scrub two minutes forward is a major pain.

You can just press down on the right side to skip forward 15-30 seconds per click. Same with the left.

And you can also tap the cardinal directions on it as well to serve as a d-pad. Not press, just tap.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I don't mind the Apple Remote on the whole, however, there are two things that *do* irritate me with it:

1. You can't just pick it up by 'feel' as you have a 50% chance of grabbing it by the touch pad part and accidentally messing up your navigation, start playing the wrong thing or skip around in the show you're watching.

2. Unlike any other device I've ever had, when you press a button to wake it up, it proceeds to actually do that command albeit a few seconds later. There is no way to just wake the remote up. I.e. I sometimes want to touch the touch pad so that I can see how long is left in a show, or to activate the text thing that says where the screensaver video is from. However, if it's asleep, I can't do that. I have to press something, which usually ends up in me changing the volume up and then having to correct back down afterwards. If I accidentally push another button then the screensaver is closed or video play is interrupted. Annoyingly, the one button that *doesn't* work in this way is the voice activation one.

mrow

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
Some enterprising Swiss person will no doubt set up an eBay store reselling these things to people outside Switzerland in no time. I’d probably pick one up for my mom who seems to have so much trouble using the touch pad on the stock remote.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
I agree the standard remote isn’t awesome, but how much do you really need to use it? Once you start watching, the remote use is pretty limited.

I just use the remote on my iPhone anyway.
Believe it or not, there’s a lot of us that don’t carry our phone around wherever we go. And walking across the house to get it for the sake of replacing Apple's failed attempt at a remote isn’t a solution.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Believe it or not, there’s a lot of us that don’t carry our phone around wherever we go. And walking across the house to get it for the sake of replacing Apple's failed attempt at a remote isn’t a solution.
How many people have you polled? I would guess most people these days are within arms reach of their phones most of the time.

My data is observing people on a daily basis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.