Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i4m

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
I was a lurker on this site for almost two years now, but this article made me register. Do you really think that something like the Swatch Group would consider to partner with an American tech company? This is an organization which includes the biggest names of all that is watchmaking. These guys were making watches for almost a century or more. This group includes for example Omega, Glashütte, Longines, and Tissot. Why would they even care. Something such as a smart watch cannot be compared with a mechanical Glashütte or an Omega. It is some cheap joke for them. Watches are here to stay and they will coexist with modern technology. A watch is not for anyone. It is a jewelry not something that is only used for checking the time. Anyone who used it only for the latter is using a smartphone now and does not wear a watch. But who thinks that someone will be using a smartwatch instead a e.g. Nomos Tangante is insane.

that's a nice looking watch

Nord

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2010
Ah good find, I forgot Apple STOLE that one, so funny considering the other thread on the front page.

I don't get what you're saying. My mother tongue's french. It doesn't change the fact that they have stolen the design once, so they can't be trusted by swiss watchers.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Haven't done it in a while, but yes, once you start spec'ing out the PC's the pricing becomes very competitive. Not only are the specs and hardware on Apple gear top notch, but you have to remember the software. iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, brilliantly synced Mail, Calendar & Address Book, Maps & on & on. Once you start trying to get a Dell to do what an MBP does out of the box, the premium starts to make a little more sense.

Dell is a weak comparison to mac's. There are far better comparisons than dell, they are mediocre at best and overpriced for the quality control and service. I guess you missed this post of mine with a sager at exoticpc which is far better than Dell and easy to upgrade with upgradable graphics card. Check these spec's against a 2000.00 macbook pro, from my other post:

Dell is not a good comparison, but I can build one cheaper. Take a look at this 2000.00 laptop, the spec's. 1920x1080, 2.8 haswell, geforce gtx 880m 8gb, 16gb memory, 120gb ssd AND 1tb hd, blu ray drive, 9 in 1 card reader.

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8258s...wconfigure=yes

I agree with you on the quality, but it still remains they are much higher. We are saving up for 15" macbook pro's, probably will be a while. There's no denying there is much premium on apple's.

Again I like mac's, but there is no comparison in price vs spec's. Since dell is not top notch and apple is lets please compare apple to a top notch pc. I say again we are saving up for macbook pro 15's, and I have a 5 year old dell studio 1555 I have replaced everytihg in except for processor and memory (dell sucks), but I will not try to claim the price is the same between a good pc and apple. There ARE reasons to go with apple though, no denying. Price is not one of them.

Also, most of apple's components are the same as used by pc's. For motherboards foxconn makes a lot of different mobo's and they are not even the best. The case on a macbook pro is MUCH better than most pc makers use though for one thing and I think apple's quality control is better. Not to mention osx and their service. Those things are mostly what stand out, most parts are the same though. Really OSX and their service is what puts them above most, if not all.

kaneda

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2001
Hayek says his reluctance to work with Apple and similar companies comes from his desire to protect Swatch's advancements in ergonomic design, longevity and battery life, but he also has been critical of the iWatch, proclaiming publicly the smartwatch won't be "the next revolution" for Apple.

You will regret this... :)

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
I guess you missed this post of mine with a sager at exoticpc which is far better than Dell and easy to upgrade with upgradable graphics card.

In fact I did (miss it). Does it happen to come with built in photo, movie, music, jukebox, integrated calendar, mail & address and mapping apps?

Not to mention osx and their service. Those things are mostly what stand out, most parts are the same though. Really OSX and their service is what puts them above most, if not all.

Exactly.

Last edited:

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
In fact I did (miss it). Does it happen to come with built in photo, movie, music, jukebox, integrated calendar, mail & address and mapping apps?

Exactly.

Look at the spec's, it's better equipped with 2.8 haswell (vs 2.6 mbp highest option), 2 hard drives including 1ssd, better graphics card, blu ray, 9 in 1 cardreader, than the 3300.00 mbp and there are options to upgrade higher than that. At 1900 it's not compared to the 2000.00 mbp but the 3300. at best.

The Apple apple app's are not worth 1400.00 plus. Not remotely as pretty much all of that stuff can be had, and better, for free. On my iphone I use almost none of the apple apps, I doubt that will change on a mbp.

Like I say, there are reasons to get a macbook pro but being even close to the same price is not remotely one of them and apple's app's are way to weak to make up for more than a few bucks of difference.

OSX and the support as I said above. If I could run osx on that laptop I would in a heartbeat.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Apple must really like the swiss to try this again...

First they got busted over the clock face in iOS, and it looks like their just not learning anything...

I bet Apple will need to pay Swiss again for some technical botch up...

If everyone would just patent stuff BEFORE beginning to do/make anything, there would be no court issues with patent infringement..

Trouble is, everyone wants to get out of the gate first. "We can worry about patents after."

That's not how it works... And it's no surprise every company is learning the hard way...... I would rather every company patent something, and delay, knowing, then to just dive in, only to be sued later and pay $$ in court fees any day..

If people just thought beforehand.

sillypooh

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
My pun was more about Nintendo not willing to release any games on iOS.

Because almost all their games would suck without proper gaming controls and mobile controls just aren't there yet.

Also, they are a vertically integrated developer - have you ever expected Apple to release OS X for generic/3rd party hardware?

They are not being quick at realizing that people will not buy dedicated gaming console anymore.

Pretty much anyone who is even slightly more than a casual gamer will have a console or a sufficiently powered PC.

kelub

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I'm not sure anyone can ring the death knell for mechanical watches.

WARNING BAD CAR ANALOGY AHEAD:

It's like saying that bicycles would die with the invention of the automobile.

There will always be people that prefer a no "nonsense" watch that doesn't require constant charging. Or one that simply just tells the time.

Not EVERYONE wants hi-tech.

I... have to agree here. I mean, age-wise I sit right in-between Gen X and Y, so I can see the value of a traditional watch, as well as the movement away from them; I work with, in, and around technology; I've been a tech-and-gadget-geek for as long as I can remember... but that's also included various watches. Granted I haven't worn a "casual" watch regularly for a good while, but that's mostly due to the fact I spend most of my day on a keyboard and I end up taking the watch off anyway for comfort. Despite that, I do sometimes like to put one on; if I'm dressing up for something, I definitely pull out a nice watch my dad left me and wear it with a suit. It's just as much a jewelry/fashion piece as it is a practical technology.

I suppose there's an argument that no one carries pocket watches anymore, but they're still made & collected. And in a lot of ways, the cell phone's "watch" functionality is basically a 21st century pocket watch. So there's no reason a smart watch shouldn't be considered, nor is there any reason to think that traditional watches are "vanishing" or "obsolete" or whatever. For *plenty* of people, a device that tells time / provides a simple alarm / offers a timer functionality on a battery that will last for months/years is more practical than a hyper-technical device that will likely need to be charged every few days or so.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Blackberry, Nokia and Microsoft dismissed the iPhone and look what happened. Two of them went to the wall and Microsoft are too big to fall but suffered a good beating.

Swatch are making a grave mistake....

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
My pun was more about Nintendo not willing to release any games on iOS. They are not being quick at realizing that people will not buy dedicated gaming console anymore.

iJi7Az3.jpg

oh?

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
A noninvasive blood glucose reading may help diabetics; however, this feature would have the possibility of not only treating and curing Type II diabetes, but preventing it (and other issues) from starting.

The bigger issue is the association between spikes in blood sugar and heat disease (the number one killer). If users knew the consequences of consuming a given amount of some substance they would be able to make an informed choice on consumption in the future.

Knowledge modifies behavior. A tool like this would educate users before medical issues become issues.
It takes decades for an individual to develop type II diabetes. And most of them won't develop it anyway. And cancers, and bad driving habits, and neurological diseases kill more people than diabetes.

My point still stands: what would be the point of any wearable that would require being worn for decades so it could make reliable statistics?

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Lol, you are quoting a price from amazon uk for a phone made and marketed for China... Please check the local pricing when you want to compare.

You're the one claiming it is cheaper than a Nexus 5, YOU demonstrate it.

The RRP in China is about $330. $20 cheaper than the Nexus 5 but it is being released months after the Nexus 5 using the same technology (when there isn't the same premium on the components).

Besides that, pretty much everywhere else in the world it is more expensive than the Nexus 5.

Last edited:

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
"It used to be thought that if diabetes occurred in childhood, it was type 1, or juvenile-onset, diabetes. Not anymore. Now, according to the CDC, more than 186,000 people younger than age 20 have diabetes."
http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/guide/type-2-diabetes-in-children

"Type 2 diabetes, once called non-insulin-dependent diabetes, is the most common form of diabetes, affecting 90% to 95% of the 26 million Americans with diabetes."
http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/guide/type-2-diabetes
Where did I oppose to these facts? Sure the number is large, as is US population.
Average diagnosis age for diabetes surely has decreased, probably thanks to increasingly bad eating and exercising patterns, but where do you prove my point wrong?

Diabetes death rate: 20.8 / 100,000
Cancer death rate: 172.8 / 100,000
Heart diseases death rate: 178.1 / 100,000

Your point has changed... (and for good reason, it's poorly articulated).

The real problem is heart disease... and it's the number one killer. Sugar is the problem.
http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/106/4/523.full

Having a watch with an Apple Logo on it is of no value.
Having a device that accurately and non-invasively tracks body chemistry would truly change the world for the better.

But go ahead... keep standing by your point...
My point hasn't changed. Why keep track of what is essentially a symptom? Why focus on just one minor part of a complex equation? Knowing poor sleep leads to overeating both in children and adults, why not use the wearable as an actimeter, reminding the user to be especially cautious when choosing portions when he or she may not have had a good night sleep before? Same goes for exercising.

What would be different is when wearables integrated more factors of the health equation so as to avoid monitoring the wearer as a perpetually diseased individual. FWIW, I can eat whatever I want, regardless of the amount of fat, sugar, sodium, without worrying about gaining weight or developing diabetes. My father can, as did his. I take blood exams from time to time, and nothing wrong on pressure (just a bit low), glucose, fat, or any other measurement related to liver condition. I can be considered slightly underweight with a BMI hovering around 18.9 and a comparatively small stature. With a month regimen of daily McDonald diet (more than 3000 calories a day, no exercising, my expense estimated at around 1800) I did once in order to increase my BMI, I barely reached 19. True, I didn't follow on because it was becoming very expensive (as is McDo for what you get), and didn't really taste that good.

What we do have a problem with in the family is arthritis and cancer. Would a watch be able to measure that? So just blood sugar measurement wouldn't cut it when it comes to measuring probability of one developing a chronic condition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.