Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
USA
I am thinking about switching my service from Verizon to TMobile. Will Verizon block my IPhone 6 until I pay off the ETF? Or can I put the sim in and go? I want a NO contract carrier.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
They won't block the number, the ETF comes on your next billing cycle, so by then you're long gone.

kargurin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
Trade in a phone and they'll pay ETF. It can be any phone. Of course if you trade in your current one you'll get a better bang for the buck if you buy a new handset. Process takes about 45 minutes at your local t mobile store. I did all this just a few days ago. I also switched from Verizon because my signal was getting quite poor where I worked....practically none at all. Now I get 20 mbps with the 6 plus. It's possible my Note 3 became defective but a coworker on Verizon was getting about 4 mbps. Verizon offered me a Samsung S5 as a replacement. Good phone, but only 16 GB. Other than that they couldn't fix my signal problem. I asked them to waive their ETF since I was forced to change carriers but I'll doubt they'll do that. In any case, T Mobile will pay. They tell me you just show up at one of their stores with the bill and they'll send you a pre-paid credit card for the ETF amount.

gildog

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2008
I did that and I lasted 2 days on TMobile and went back to Verizon. Too many dropped calls and the data was very slow even though I had full coverage.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I am thinking about switching my service from Verizon to TMobile. Will Verizon block my IPhone 6 until I pay off the ETF? Or can I put the sim in and go? I want a NO contract carrier.

You can just switch now and go ahead and start using the phone. Verizon doesn't block the phone until the bill and ETF are over 2 months past due and they get ready to write off the account to collections.

kargurin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
You can just switch now and go ahead and start using the phone. Verizon doesn't block the phone until the bill and ETF are over 2 months past due and they get ready to write off the account to collections.

I'd ask Verizon just how long can you wait until you are reported to a credit agency for late payment. You don't want to mess around with your credit score. It's golden for interest rates on cars and home purchase.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I'd ask Verizon just how long can you wait until you are reported to a credit agency for late payment. You don't want to mess around with your credit score. It's golden for interest rates on cars and home purchase.

From what I've heard they'll let customers pay them in installments if they can't afford to pay it all upfront. But yeah OP should check with them before waiting too long.

kargurin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
From what I've heard they'll let customers pay them in installments if they can't afford to pay it all upfront. But yeah OP should check with them before waiting too long.

That's what I'm going to do. You've got to go to T Mobile store, show them the bill, and then they'll mail out the pre paid card. I think the lag is a couple of weeks. But, that should be time enough. Or you can simply pay the ETF immediately and used the card for normal shopping and such. My ETF will be $200.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
Why leave Verizon?

I'm guessing he's leaving because of the price. I am leaving VZW in the next couple of weeks myself.

----------

I did that and I lasted 2 days on TMobile and went back to Verizon. Too many dropped calls and the data was very slow even though I had full coverage.

Yeah, T-Mobile isn't for everyone. For those in a T-Mobile area it's very nice. I'm considering taking my VZW iPhone to Metro PCS (which uses T-Mo's network) They have unlimited data for $60/ mo!

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
You can test drive T-Mobile before you switch. T-Mobile is great if you don't leave an area where their coverage is very good but their coverage isn't on the same level as AT&T and Verizon.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
You can test drive T-Mobile before you switch. T-Mobile is great if you don't leave an area where their coverage is very good but their coverage isn't on the same level as AT&T and Verizon.

Agreed. T-Mobile's great in my area, and been great in nearly all urban areas where I've traveled the past year and a half since I switched. I don't travel to enough rural and outlying areas for their network gaps to matter for me.

But, there are areas where T-Mobile's coverage isn't so great. So, the test drive is a great way to see how the network performs in typical everyday usage. There's no obligation, so this is about as seamless a way of testing a carrier's service as there is.

----------

Not really unlimited. 2gb unlimited LTE, the rest you're on edge.

Wrong. T-Mobile's $80 plan "really" is unlimited.

http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/individual.html

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
USA
Today I switched to TMobile NO CONTRACT!. I have WI FI calling too. Yes it unlimited for $100 + tax for 2 lines.

I bought my wife a new IPhone 6.

And yes I will pay Verizon the ETF (ripoff), it used to be $375. I have to pay $480 now.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Today I switched to TMobile NO CONTRACT!. I have WI FI calling too. Yes it unlimited for $100 + tax for 2 lines.

And yes I will pay Verizon the ETF (ripoff), it used to be $375. I have to pay $480 now.

How do you get an ETF that high if it's still $375 for contracts (for smartphones)?

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012

Congratulations on saving a nice chunk of change every month!

I chuckle whenever someone cracks some wise a$$ comments about T-Mobile. It's like they're afraid to be the only one left paying the outrageous Verizon charges. Verizon would like all to believe that they're the end all be all, and that strategy has obviously worked on many - I had to twist many arms to get my siblings to switch, believing that it'd be the end of the world if they dropped Verizon. They couldn't thank me often enough after they switched, saving them hundreds a month.

Yes, T-Mobile definitely has more spotty coverage than Verizon or ATT. Guess what, I'm not all that important that I require 100% coverage 100% of the time. And when there's good coverage which is everywhere I usually am, speeds and voice quality absolutely destroys Verizon and ATT.

Attachments

• tmovzw.jpg
    tmovzw.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 483
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.