Switching from Vista to Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by crazyboi07, May 21, 2009.

1. crazyboi07 macrumors newbie

Okay,

I been with Windows all my life and I have decided to switch to mac, I am getting sick of windows pretty much.

I am getting ride of my laptop (which is my only computer) through cashforlaptops.com they will be giving me $430 (which is half the price i paid for this laptop which is good).

I am planning to buy Macbook, the $999 version and upgrade it throughout the summer. I will be going out of my way doing this though, I wont have a laptop for the month of june (maybe if i decide to get it and spend all my money at once i can have it by mid june)

By switching to Mac I am also downgrading a bit from a 250GB HD 17.1in screen down to 120 and 13.3in screen.

My question is, is apple coming out with new products in June if so should I wait.

And is there any promo codes I can use to help me save money cause I went searching on eBay for macs and I have to say for my first Mac im going with a new one from the apple store near me.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Apple's refurbished store has the same model for $849 occasionally. Check the specs before purchase so you don't end up with last year's model. There may possibly be something new coming out in early June but no rumors at this point.

OnSale, MacConnection and ClubMac all have it for about $915. http://www.appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

If you're hoping that a Mac will solve all of your problems, you'll be very disappointed. These computers are not perfect and it takes just as much effort to get things to work on OS X as it does on Windows.

It would be helpful if you could tell us what you intend to use the computer for and what specific things have gone wrong with Windows Vista to make you want to sell your computer.

4. macgrl macrumors 65816

5. crazyboi07 thread starter macrumors newbie

Its no problems, I love the laptop I have now but I want a change, I aint saying Mac is perfect.

I manly use the laptop for personal use not gaming ect, all I do is update iPhone ect, chck about a dozen sites ect, I might be 25 but thats all I basicly use it for. I also use it for my songs and stuff.

I also like the customer service I get with my iPhone when I goto the apple store unlike Toshiba Customer service which connects me to Mexico or India.

6. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

A Mac won't do any of these things better than your current machine and you have to question whether this is worthwhile if you are losing storage and screen space. You'll get a more portable computer, but you will be paying an awful lot of money for it.

Apple's iPhone customer service is very different to their computer customer service. With iPhone they're willing to simply swap out units which are defective there and then.

However, on several occasions in the past I've had to live without my computer for several weeks at a time while I waited for Apple to fix it. Of course, they've also changed the rules so now if you want a repair your only option is to take it to one of their stores. Great if you have one nearby but there isn't one near me.

Oh.. and if you call Apple for software support there's every chance you'll be connected to someone in India. I have in the past.

7. macgrl macrumors 65816

There may be products coming out in June but there may just be speed bumps, which may mean that you can pick up a deal on the "older" models:)

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Perhaps you should read one of the few dozens "should I wait" threads first next time.

Complete BS. Ever seen these documents to get windows to behave?
    http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html

9. MacStew macrumors member

If you're sick of Windows, then switch to Ubuntu! That way you'll get a decent OS, keep your current working hardware and it won't cost you a penny. Once your lappy stops working or can't run what you want, that is the time to switch to a Mac. And by then you'll get a lot more hardware power for your money.

10. crazyboi07 thread starter macrumors newbie

Neil,

I have a Apple Store 4 miles away from me at the mall I goto :D.

I really don't care about screen size that much cause I dont watch movies on my laptop and if I do its once in a blue moon and storage isnt really nothing either. I am using 11GB of storage of 151GB on part of my HD I store all my files in.

11. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Where's the OS X version to turn off unnecessary services like Bonjour and Back to my Mac?

12. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Can't agree with you on that one.

13. crazyboi07 thread starter macrumors newbie

As I said I am buying a Mac, I asked should I wait a little longer and see if apple releases a new line :eek:

14. crazyboi07 thread starter macrumors newbie

And I forgot to say this, I get a new laptop every year and its time for a new one, I dont stay with one laptop for very long, same with cell phones until 3G came out and I got it in Dec08.

And plus I have taken this laptop apart so many times cause something decides not to work like the keyboard, mouse and harddrive, i had to spend 3 hours of my time to get these working again, not fun

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Buyer's guide:
    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Chances are high that there will be updates soon, but the real answer is you never know.
    FYI you don't need to replace a Mac every year, it's not pc running windows.

Bonjour or Back to my Mac =/= windows registry issues.

16. jshelton macrumors 6502a

Debbie Downer...dang. It's almost as if you are trying to talk him out of getting a Mac.

...and I also have to disagree with the idea that it takes as much to get a Mac going as it does a Windows machine. Simply not true.

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I would stop replacing your computer every year; that's not good value. Better idea would be get a better computer now and use it for a few years.

As with cell phones, unless you're replacing them every week, it's not that often :D

18. OasisNYK macrumors 6502

You also dont need to replace a pc running windows every year - I have several that are still going strong 4+ years after they were purchased, all you have to do is take care of them which you have to do with a Mac as well, it may be easier on a Mac though.

19. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

If someone told you they were going to trade in their one year old prius for a less powerful, gas hungry VW, would you tell them that's a good idea?

If someone wants to sell their laptop for $500 and buy a more expensive and lower speced computer, why would that be any different?

Personally, I'd just wait until Windows 7 comes out in a few months. It's still in beta, but it already puts OS X to shame.

20. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

Most of the Mac switchers aren't, and I doubt that the OP will be. But we'll see.

Sure. You have to install tons of security software, perform regular maintenance, defragment the harddrive, clean the registry, format every 3 months...Oh no, wait, that's Windows. OS X is the one which doesn't need those things.

21. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Windows doesn't either. I have never in my life defragmented a hard drive and I have never seen any negative performance as a result. I've also never never used 'security software' because I've seen the huge problems it causes for friends who do. Yep, my Windows machines are still going fine. I've also never "cleaned" the registry. I've poked around in there when some old software isn't playing ball, but I've never cleaned it. I had no idea it got dirty. And lastly, you guessed it, I've never had to format every 3 months. Not even when I used the worst version of Windows ever, Me.

Sorry but if you're going to be negative about something, at least try to come up with arguments which are true. You are right about one thing though, I've never done any of these things on my Mac either. So as usual, and as I have tried to say to so many people here, they're pretty much equal except in one key area... price.

22. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

So someone never have any problems with MS windows, especially Windows ME? Wow that is so true. :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Me

So your rational is that since dollar menu is food, it must be better than food in a restaurant because it's cheaper. Jeez

23. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Where did I say that? Windows Me was terrible. All of the versions of OS X I have tried (Panther, Tiger and Leopard) have been better than it. I think you misinterpreted my last statement, I was referring to OS X and Windows, not a specific version of any of them.

24. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Ha. Funniest thing I've read all day.

We have Windows 7 and a small Server 2008 enviornment running in our lab. Meh. The latest RC of Win7 is alright.. Far better than Vista, comparable to XP, but hardly puts the OS X to shame.

25. Socalieric007 macrumors newbie

I dont think your experience is representative of the whole, especially considering the maintainence choices you made. For most, they need virus protection. I know that defrag is needed at times and makes a difference. Ive loaded win7 rc and it is better than vista, but it's vista with a few tweaks and some problems solved. I cant laud them for fixing things that should have been there and functioning to begin with.
    I will get a mac laptop once I see the lay of the land with wwdc09. My first mac. Not happy about pricing, but i trust the vast majority of personal and pro reviews that say mac is quality os and gear.
    One specific point Id like to make deals with problems ive had with vista and win7: dpc processor spikes when i try to dj. I spent exhaustive hours and consulted pros online. No fix. Cant be fixed. Even the latest and greatest os still has the problem. So its either load xp with limited driver support for my new hp laptop and tweak away or get a mac, which was actually made with media/music in mind. The cincher to getting a mac is my interest in iphone dev. No go on win, but thats not too surprising.
    I will say this, if I have to tweak the hell out of my mac and have to resolve sporadic problems half as much as now, Ill be sorely disappointed. I know other djs who have posted about making the change and wished they did sooner.