iPhone X Switching to Verizon with ATT iPhone X...anyone else make the move?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigserve100, Jun 21, 2018.

1. bigserve100 macrumors newbie

Hi all, I looked up online some info on switching from ATT to Verizon (I'm sick of ATT in NYC... so many dead spots and horrible speed). Will my iPhone X which I bought with ATT be thoroughly useable on the Verizon network? Is there anyone else that made this move? Online research says that I would not be able to use the 3G network on Verizon with my iPhone X (ATT model). Is this a problematic limitation for those that have made this switch?

Thanks.

2. macher macrumors 65816

macher

There have been posts on other forums like HoFo that AT&T has gotten almost on par with VZW in NYC.

3. americafirst Suspended

americafirst

You will be limited to LTE on Verizon

4. bigserve100 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm switching also because I'm switching to an unlimited plan, and Verizon's 75 GB plan and mix and match is much better for my family than the ATT plan (none of the multimedia packaging is at all useful for us).
    --- Post Merged, Jun 21, 2018 ---
    I just looked at the coverage map for Verizon. I have no idea when I'll ever be in any region not in 4G on Verizon. 4G is pretty much everywhere on Verizon it looks like.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 21, 2018 ---
    I think I will be switching then. Thanks so much!

5. macher macrumors 65816

macher

What’s your primary reason for switching? Kind of confused. First you say coverage then you mention price and / or packages.

6. orev macrumors 6502

Coverage maps are only rough estimates. Even if you are in an area with strong LTE signal, there may be pockets where it doesn't reach and the phone needs to fallback to 4G. Maybe that's OK for you, but it might be a better idea to sell your phone and get the Verizon version.

7. democracyrules, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018

democracyrules macrumors 6502a

Excellent choice. Enjoy Verizon excellent services like myself. I switched to Verizon from T-Mobile and it was the best decision ever made. Verizon has the best coverage areas inside and outside buildings, inside and outside metropolitan areas and between states in the US.

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I switched from AT&T a year ago for the same reason and the coverage in NYC is so much better. However, when I’ve left the city I’ve sometimes fallen back on 3G. You might wanna get another iPhone after the refresh in September.

9. bushman4 macrumors 68020

Just so you Are awAre every carrier has dead spots and poor service in some areas As was mentioned ATT & Verizon are about the same now as far as speed
    Dead spots etc. The choice remains as to where you use it

10. macher macrumors 65816

macher

Yea I have a work VZW phone and a personal AT&T phone. I always said that VZW was slightly better than AT&T but not significantly better in general. VZW coverage in my experience has definitely gone down like slower speeds etc but not significantly. And AT&T has gotten slightly better. Also depends on your market.

11. ferric macrumors newbie

I switched a while ago but still have the AT&T iPhone - signal strength is noticeably bad and phone does heat up. Does anyone know if I can swap to a vzw A1865 since I’m on IUP?

12. Dodgeman macrumors 65816

I switched to sprint from Verizon to see if there are any real differences that I notice.

13. BiggAW macrumors 68020

1. An AT&T (Intel) iPhone will always have worse performance than a Verizon or Unlocked (Qualcomm) iPhone, regardless of which carrier you are on. Intel iPhones have serious issues re-locking LTE on the subway, as well as in weak signal situations, both on AT&T and Verizon.

2. AT&T used to be complete garbage in NYC, now they are usable. I'm from CT and I have AT&T, so for a few few trips a year, AT&T is more than adequate. They're certainly not Verizon in NYC. Really, in NYC, there is Verizon and not Verizon in terms of speeds and coverage. Verizon is not universally better, there are many places, like Texas, for example, where AT&T blows Verizon out of the water. AT&T even beats Verizon in some NYC-area suburbs. Since you're in NYC proper, Verizon will give you more speed and coverage within the city.

3. With an Intel iPhone, you will lose the few last remaining specks of CDMA-only native Verizon coverage, which will shut down at EOY 2019 anyway. You will also lose the slightly deeper penetration of CDMA, but that's going away at EOY'19 anyway, and there is a counter-argument that you'd rather hang on to LTE until you drop it, as CDMA/EVDO is pretty much useless at this point, so there may well be situations where an Intel iPhone has an extremely weak fringe LTE signal while a Qualcomm iPhone has a much stronger CDMA signal, and the Intel iPhone will have usable data and the Qualcomm one won't. However, it is also likely that you just drop all signals sooner, since the Intel modems are far inferior to the Qualcomm modems. Subway tunnels are basically a series of artificial fringe reception zones that the majority of NYC goes through every day.

4. With an Intel iPhone, you will also lose Verizon's CDMA roaming. However, they are preparing for a world without CDMA, and devices that don't have CDMA, so in West Virginia, which is one of Verizon's biggest coverage holes, you will actually get AT&T 3G roaming with a non-CDMA device, which is far better than the USCC CDMA/1x roaming that you'd get on a CDMA-capable device. Go figure.

5. It is as of yet an unanswered question as to whether Verizon plans to keep the CDMA network core operational for phones after EOY'19 to facilitate CDMA roaming in parts of Canada, Alaska, Downeast Maine, and a few other places that have some CDMA roaming left, or whether they do deals for GSM/UMTS roaming to replace it and go full 3GPP.

14. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile and then to Verizon. Verizon was the best for me.

15. americafirst Suspended

americafirst

I noticed a significant signal difference between my Qualcomm iPhone X and my girlfriend's Intel iPhone X when I tested the signal using her AT&T SIM card
    Verizon's coverage in West Virginia is almost non existent. A few years ago I drove through there going to Pittsburgh and my Verizon phone kept losing reception

16. 4RunnerHeaven Suspended

Where did you buy the iPhone at? AT&T models do not work on Verizons network. They have the intel chip which doesn't have CDMA. The Verizon Qualcomm chip works on both CDMA and GSM and can be moved between them. Now if you got it at Best Buy, Target, or Apple, you would have gotten the unlocked Qualcomm one. If you got it directly from AT&T, it's the Intel one.

Also, I switched 9 months ago to Verizon, and the signal was better where I worked, but in rural areas, it was worse than AT&T. I also had extremely slow DATA speeds vs AT&T. I got fed up with it and went back to AT&T after 3 months. At least in Texas, AT&T is better. But I know Verizon network speeds for Data aren't even close to what AT&T can provide in speeds. Their network is bogged down too much.

17. BiggAW macrumors 68020

They have traditionally roamed heavily on USCC. Sprint even has better coverage than Verizon in WV. I don't know why they didn't build out when they got the B13 spectrum, but they must have decided it wasn't worth it for that market. Ironically, AT&T roaming is much better in WV, as data actually works, and AT&T has a solid network there.

You have no clue what you're talking about. Verizon will activate the Intel iPhone 8, 8+, and X, but not the Intel iPhone 7 and 7+. No one really knows why on the 7/7+. Xfinity Mobile does NOT support the Intel iPhones, other MVNOs might or might not, but they have to support VoLTE in order to do it. Obviously the AT&T Intel iPhones don't have CDMA, but Verizon's network no longer requires CDMA, as you can be VoLTE-only, with the caveats noted above if you actually bother to read the thread.

18. 4RunnerHeaven Suspended

No sir, you don't have a clue. Stop telling people wrong information when you didn't even research and you are dead wrong. If they want it to work properly with Verizon they need the Qualcomm modem model that supports all of Verizons bands.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/356192/why-you-should-buy-an-unlocked-or-verizon-iphone-8-iphone-x

"Apple did it again. With the iPhone 7 generation, Apple split its modem orders across Qualcomm and Intel. Because Intel's modems don't support the CDMA system used by Sprint and Verizon, the Intel versions of the phone couldn't connect to those carriers."

https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/Guides/Will-my-iPhone-8-8Plus-work-on-another-carrier

upload_2018-7-1_12-42-32.png

19. americafirst Suspended

americafirst

I forgot about the USCC roaming agreement. I will be back in WV in a couple of weeks and I hope reception has improved. What part of WV are you in

20. BiggAW macrumors 68020

You're obviously trolling, because I am factually correct. So stop trolling, and stop claiming that people are stating "factually incorrect" things, when, in fact, they note each and every caveat in great detail. Further, the Intel iPhone supports full Verizon LTE banding, even without CDMA support. For most people, an Intel iPhone 8/8+/X on Verizon is adequate. As I noted before, if you would bother to read my post, I noted the limitations of an Intel iPhone on Verizon:

I should have noted in my original post that Verizon, as of the last I've heard, will not activate an Intel iPhone 7/7+ on their network, but WILL activate an Intel iPhone 8/8+/X on their network, but in my second post, I did note that caveat. I believe Sacha Seagan wrote that article before the 8/8+/X actually came out, and before Verizon started allowing activation of Intel iPhone 8/8+/X models on their network.

I agree with the basic sentiment of buying a Qualcomm iPhone, they are, in virtually every way, superior (unless you're traveling in WV and have Verizon, then you really want an Intel iPhone so you can roam on AT&T and not USCC). HOWEVER, given that the OP has an Intel iPhone X and wants to switch to Verizon, it would be a complete lie to say that it wouldn't work on Verizon, as it will work adequately for what most people need. For the OP's use, I'd be more concerned about an Intel iPhone failing to re-connect on the subway as you go from station to station than a few towers in remote Oregon or Alaska that you lose by not having CDMA coverage or roaming available, but that's no different on AT&T or Verizon, the Intel iPhone will always have worse LTE performance.

You are very dishonest in that you are making posts that make it sound like an AT&T iPhone would be horrible and would malfunction on Verizon's network, when, in fact, most people wouldn't know the difference, and for most people, they would never be able to tell the difference between an Intel iPhone and a Qualcomm iPhone on Verizon, other than signal strength and LTE re-connection, which would be the exact same situation on AT&T. Your use of the word "properly" is incorrect, as even Verizon has determined that LTE-only phone work "properly" on their network, and have certified several LTE-only phones, including at least one that they themselves sell in Verizon stores.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 1, 2018 ---
    I'm in Connecticut, but I've visited WV a couple of times. From what I gather, AT&T is terrible, and all the other carriers are more terrible, with USCC next, then Sprint, then Verizon and T-Mobile bringing up the rear of the pack. The rural and poor nature of WV doesn't help, and the NRQZ screws things up more, although AT&T figured out how to run a 1mW DAS at Snowshoe to comply with the NRQZ and provide service up there with thousands of times less power than a normal cell site.

21. americafirst Suspended

americafirst

I've noticed the people I was with had better coverage with AT&T. This is part of why I am not looking forward to going back in a couple of weeks

22. 4RunnerHeaven Suspended

I post links and factual information. You continue to not back anything you say up. EOD. I won't continue to argue with someone who starts name calling.

23. BiggAW macrumors 68020

If you don't want to be called a troll, then don't act like a troll. You are hung up on the meaning of the word "properly" but your entire post is dishonest, as you make the FACTUAL REALITY that an Intel iPhone 8/8+/X will work just fine on the vast majority of Verizon's network, and even have roaming coverage in WV and on Verizon LTEiRA partners into some sort of horror show that it just isn't. *I* probably wouldn't have an Intel iPhone on Verizon, because I'm a super duper power user and I travel to weird places. However, it is simply dishonest to tell someone else that an Intel iPhone won't work *properly* on Verizon's network, when, for the vast majority of people, it WILL.

Verizon has even made a different coverage map for non-CDMA devices that has the differing roaming coverage on it, so instead of bad-mouthing non-CDMA phones on Verizon, how about have the OP check out the coverage map for themselves?

https://www.verizonwireless.com/search/vzwSearch?Ntt=Coverage

In fact, if you analyze the maps, you will see that both WV and Downeast Maine are significantly better with a non-CDMA phone, as well as parts of Missouri and Texas, due to AT&T roaming, while non-CDMA devices lose some coverage in places like Alaska.

HoFo as a forum is going down the drain, but this thread is good:

https://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1905347-Coverage-on-LTE-only-devices-(Intel-iPhone-8-X)
    --- Post Merged, Jul 1, 2018 ---
    WV is a very poor state, and a very backwards state in many ways, but it sure is gorgeous up there in the mountains!

24. Blueswoosh248 macrumors newbie

Just did this today with my AT&T iPhone X (intel)

Signal has a tough time capturing, I float between full service and No service randomly. The No Service periods are very short, but if they happen during a call, the call gets dropped.

My GF has an iPhone 8 (Verizon model) and has no issues of the sort.

Going to give it a day or two more, test the signal at work. If it’s like this, I’ll have to decide on AT&T or T-Mobile until the next iPhone comes up.

25. americafirst Suspended

americafirst

I've seen more backwards states and countries than WV but it is gorgeous. However I won't have time to travel and see the mountains since the trip will be work related