Synaptics Creating In-Display Fingerprint Sensors for 'Top Five OEM'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Derekeys macrumors regular

I have an Apple watch and it is at best, inconsistent. But, to those who don't do the Apple Watch thing, Face ID on the Mac seems like an obvious evolution.

2. fmalloy macrumors 6502

Apple's not using it, so clearly it's not relevant.

Apple decides what's good technology and what isn't. We all just follow.

3. tooloud10 macrumors regular

OK, let's hear your plans to get rid of the notch. Where do the cameras/sensors/speaker go? They can't go behind the screen, so they'd have to go in a bezel similar to the Samsung phones.

How do people not see that the 'notch' is nothing more than a top bezel that Apple has reclaimed some space from on the sides? The alternative is to cut the 'ears' off the screen and move the carrier/signal/battery info down, which would use up some of the screen real estate. Most of the top bezel space on smartphones is wasted space, so Apple put some screen there and moved the carrier/signal/battery info up there, thus giving the user more usable real estate on the rest of the screen.

You can't take away the notch, you can only take away some of the screen.

4. aloshka macrumors 65816

Does it work across the entire screen or is there a designated small area where it scans? Anyone know? Speculate?

5. 6803390 Suspended

I understand your point and respect it. However, why not give us the customer another option; one phone with Face ID and the other Touch ID if they can place the sensor under the screen. I truly hate the notch because of my ocd. I was at the Apple Store (week after release) and tested the phone - I will say it’s a good phone and the size is perfect. I was about to purchase it, but what changed my mind was when I played a video on landscape (and the price) - I just could not ignore it, as my ocd went on over drive.

6. Norbs12 macrumors 6502

Norbs12

OK whatever dude, sorry for giving a aggressive response to a aggressive person. It's clear your intent was not to communicate or get to the truth but try to feel superior in your own sad way... A normal person would have just said "There was actually a followup article and the original was actually incorrect: LINK." Take care.

7. - rob - macrumors 6502

- rob -

Do I need to draw a Venn Diagram?

What you keep missing is that there are circumstances when Face ID can not be improved to cover Touch ID auth.

For example, Face ID is not getting X-Ray to see through a pillow when half your face is covered because it is 3AM and you are being called into work by text message.

And unlock from your pocket, which happens all the time with Touch ID will never happen because the phone is nowhere near the Face.

People seem to have difficulty understanding that it is not a compromise to have both. It means a better iPhone.

If Apple has the data that shows what anecdotally I and many other people have experienced, they will fix this.

The problem is that they had to stake out this claim that they didn’t seriously entertain both from the start in order to sell the X and that is a problem for apples authenticity.

8. spacemnspiff macrumors 6502a

spacemnspiff

I not disagreeing with that you said, I was making a slightly more nuanced point. I like the trade off that Apple made by having the fingerprint sensor on the front and not forcing it to the back of the phone, the trade off was smaller screen size to accommodate the sensor. I consider sensor on the back a severely compromised approach and the new effort to bring back the sensor to the front (with under the screen sensor) is an acknowledgement of that.

9. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

you have been trolling about this since september. no one is falling for your concern trolling.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 13, 2017 ---
    Get it through your thick skulls folks. Apple will NOT go back to Touch ID, outside or under the screen. its over. Its all Face ID now and in the future. Deal with it.

10. Tijdelijk macrumors member

Sure thing Tim

11. a0me macrumors 65816

a0me

There are many scenarios in which Touch ID works and Face ID doesn't, and spending half a second to make sure your finger in the general area of the finger scanner would have a negligible impact on usability.

12. DailySlow macrumors member

DailySlow

Many of us NEED touch/fprint ID - face ID nice but insecure in certain situations -

13. gaximus macrumors 6502a

The same argument can be made about faceID, it works when my fingers are wet, or when I'm wearing gloves. I've never had to unlock my phone in my pocket, because I can't see my phone in my pocket, if I pull my phone out of my pocket to look at it, then faceID will work.

I agree, Apple will fix it, by making Face ID work better, more extreme angles, face slightly obscured by a pillow. Apple will not be bring back touchID, they can't they already said that faceID is more secure. Apple has never been one to admin they are wrong, even if they are, you just holding it wrong.

14. Derived macrumors regular

Derived

Samsung's face unlock is so unlike and so far behind Face ID it's not even worth comparing, Apple isn't behind, they simply didn't rush to market with a useless feature. After 10 years of iPhones, this pattern has started to emerge.

15. DNichter macrumors 603

DNichter

It certainly wouldn’t make it any better. Although Face ID has been great, it will certainly be improved upon next year. You’ll likely need to switch platforms to get something like Touch ID under the screen.

16. MyMacintosh macrumors regular

MyMacintosh

so now everybody on here likes TouchID again and all of a sudden these stories about how their FaceID is failing right? Lol predictable

17. xgerrit, Dec 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2017

xgerrit macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone X and Face ID is very well implemented, but practically speaking, I enter my pin code many more times per day than I ever did with Touch ID. And as I’m reminded every single morning (and many iPhone X owners will tell you), Face ID is basically useless if you try to unlock your phone while lying in bed. It simply doesn’t quite replace Touch ID for me, but obviously I’m under no illusions that Apple is going to bring Touch ID back. They’re not going to reduce their margins by adding a feature that many people won’t use, plus this sensor is likely incompatible with the dot-pitch of Apple’s OLED displays.

18. BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502a

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Try Face ID while on the road driving to get Map travel instructions and see how long before you go over the cliff!

You'll miss Touch ID then. :D

19. Tech198 macrumors G5

Another step up (hopefully in the right direction.)

It's just a battle of wits...

See who gives up first, you or the car

20. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

I remember Synaptics from the Nexus One. I had an outdated touchscreen that wasn't multi-touch like iPhones. It was two-finger touch which made it difficult to play certain games that required more than two.

HTC back in 2010 was still elite. First tier. I guess Samsung will just have to be the guinea pig to this tech. I'm not completely happy with this news. I would love to see brands like LG, Sony, and Motorola get it sooner.

Understand in the Android world, it's like the Philippines. Different dialects and different tribes. The main one is Samsung which controls only 25% of the Android world and less than 54% in the US.

Global
    20% Samsung global share
    80% Android global share
    1/4

USA
    30% Samsung domestic share
    55% Android domestic share
    About 54%

But being kinda like contrarian like Dave 2D and Mr. Mobile, some of us prefer the underdogs. They're hungrier. They don't rely on clever marketing.

Some of us aren't totally pleased by this. Many of us here DO NOT like Samsung software on top of Android. They give Android a bad reputation with their eventual lag and bloat we don't need. Samsung is for Android newbies who are recent iPhone defectors who got bored with iOS.

21. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

Wrong. I haven't posted a complaint previously myself, but comments like this just aren't helpful.

I have the X, and you know what, FID 'fails' at least once a day or so. It's a minor annoyance but you get used to it, or more like simply accept it, given it's a great phone otherwise.

Hence why ID-TID definitely has an appeal, and people shouldn't be castigated as Luddites for expressing that opinion, just because Phil Schiller unconvincingly claims they ditched the idea ages ago.

22. crossifixio macrumors regular

crossifixio

I couldn't agree with you more. I love FaceID. It is so natural I just do not think about it. I cant see myself going back to touch ID ever!

23. dennysanders macrumors 6502

dennysanders

what is it about face id that is better? because from my understanding, touch id gets you to the home screen a little faster and you don't need to have the device in a position that it can see your face.

24. Phonephreak Suspended

Phonephreak

Except when it fails.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 14, 2017 ---
    Ok. So it doesn’t work correctly, as in securely all the time.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 14, 2017 ---
    What does this have to do with the topic here. Oh I get it. Just a cheap shot at Samsung.

25. MacLoveMacHate macrumors member

MacLoveMacHate

I doubt it will make it to the X myself, maybe the 8s as a cheaper alternative to the Face ID tech while still getting that bezel-less lcd screen in there. If it does end up in the X, Apple will put some masterful PR spin on it, claiming "we listened to our customers...", rather than the tech not being ready last year. One thing I like about the current Touch ID is the ability to unlock the phone without looking at it as I'm pulling it out of my pocket due to the tactile button, but this would be lost by hiding it under the screen, so I think we will always lose we enjoyed about earlier tech that we've grown accustomed to using.