Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimf123

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
Same issue on my 14pro max delivered and set up Friday..:/ over 400gb system data.. told same as others in here by apple, wait a few days etc.. yes reboot clears it, but same as others, creeps back up over a few hours.. not good..:/

Lostandfound36

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2022
I have the same issue with the iPhone 14 Pro - system data maxes out within hours and I cannot download new apps etc. Only by doing a reset (not a full wipe) does it clear it for a few hours. By the looks of things here, if I contact Apple all I will get is misunderstanding and lack of information…?

IainGamer

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2022
Getting the same issue with my 14 pro.

Keeps filling up within hours.

Not happy this hasn’t been addressed anywhere yet.

Conyfers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
It’s got to be an iOS bug surely, not purging file logs or something??

My system data grew to 150gb over the space of 8 hours yesterday…

I agree with the sentiment from many in this thread that Apple support have not been very useful - they were incredibly dismissive to me on the phone until I lost my cool somewhat, (still couldn’t help).

Only thing that resolves the issue for me temporarily is a shutdown (basically the old tech trick of turning it on and off again) - full restores, resets etc don’t fix the root cause issue.

It’s a complete joke.

gazza252

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2022
my iphone 14 pro is the exact same, siwtch off it just builds up again during the day until i cant get messages and emails and then i have to rebot again. very annoying apple please get this sorted asap and let us know when its done. .

revs

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
UK
I've had this with my old XR.

I resolved it by 'upgrading' the OS to the same version. Download the IPSW for the version you have, use the finder and option click the updates button. You can then 'upgrade' your phone from 16.0.1 to.. 16.0.1.

For me that sorted whatever bug caused it.

EDIT I had this same thing with iOS 15.
Just re-quoting this, as I had the same issue reported here, and this fixed it for me

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Conyfers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Just re-quoting this, as I had the same issue reported here, and this fixed it for me
I tried this and didn’t resolve it for me unfortunately - thanks for the suggestion though.

See there’s a potential 16.0.2 update on the horizon so hopefully there’s a fix included in that build - seems as though enough people are reporting it….

So far, temporary respite is to shut down and turn back on again every 24 hours.

Lostandfound36

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2022
So I spoke to Apple support yesterday. I forwarded screen shots etc to show and also mentioned this forum and that others are experiencing it. They said they are going to escalate it and seemed grateful for the evidence.
They said they would be in touch (?).

For me - today so far I have not had the increase in system data .. so far. Which is unusual as it’s happened every day since last Friday and I’ve had to restart the phone each day.

Reactions: Conyfers

dannyshep

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2022
Same here guys, had it from 10am on Friday morning, its now Tuesday afternoon, multiple resets and reinstalls and still 150gb system data. Left it for 48 hours on charge and on wifi to see if what apple said was true, it wasn't as its still happening. We expect a few bugs on a new release, but not to this extent.

r-winger20

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2022
I called Apple Support yesterday. I was advised to try restoring from iCloud save (I did a iPhone to iPhone transfer initially). It seemed to be ok overnight with system data at around 20GB but by lunchtime it's crept up to 250GB. It's certainly not going up as quickly as before, and I think the battery drain is better too.

Flyingramses

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2022
Hey, looking for some support.

Received my iPhone 14 Pro Max 256gb yesterday and after 24 hours I’m getting the “iPhone storage full” notification which can’t be true as I’m using 80gb tops.

When I checked the storage in settings, looks like system data is maxing out.

I turned the phone on and off again and it dropped to around 4gb, but it’s growing consistently. After an hour it’s at 65gb, and it’s going to max out again for sure.

Anyone got the same issue? Annoyingly I can’t see what’s driving the usage, or what’s being cached. I have turned off sharing analytics etc, but it’s still building.

Is this a known bug with iOS 16?!
Just off phone with Apple Support. They advised I switch off photos synch in iCloud so it takes strain off the iPhone updating from cloud. Now asked to leave it on Wi-Fi for 48-72hrs again and ‘it will’ sort itself out, system data use will drop off . . . fingers crossed, we will see!

Chrisj000

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2022
I’ve had this problem a couple of times in the past including upgrading to an iPhone 14 pro on release day.my work around which I’ll explain as best I can is to sign out of iCloud then go to settings,transfer or reset iPhone then reset,reset all settings let it do its thing.esims are not deleted but asks you to select primary secondary ect,you will notice that all your photos and music are missing but if you wait an hour and then sign back into iCloud they will restore.you will have to re ad any cards for Apple Pay but the information is saved in wallet

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Same issue here, hard reset, on Apple supports advice didn’t work, memory is just maxing out on 14 Pro 256MB. Have been told to leave it for 48hrs and it should resolve. What a shambles Apple are these days.
Would be hilarious if someone said just get the TB to avoid it

• Haha
Reactions: Conyfers

Flyingramses

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2022
I’ve had this problem a couple of times in the past including upgrading to an iPhone 14 pro on release day.my work around which I’ll explain as best I can is to sign out of iCloud then go to settings,transfer or reset iPhone then reset,reset all settings let it do its thing.esims are not deleted but asks you to select primary secondary ect,you will notice that all your photos and music are missing but if you wait an hour and then sign back into iCloud they will restore.you will have to re ad any cards for Apple Pay but the information is saved in wallet
Thanks for that, I may well give that a try if Apples latest advice doesn’t work!

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Is this only affecting people with more iCloud in use than physical storage? I had the system thing once on a previous iOS, but it never exceeded my physical storage.

Conyfers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
78EC544E-5EE5-47FC-955B-13078713DBD0.png
36F84AC1-E044-4588-BD66-EAEECDA57D10.png
Is this only affecting people with more iCloud in use than physical storage? I had the system thing once on a previous iOS, but it never exceeded my physical storage.
Nope, as I only have 65gb in iCloud, yet my iPhone system data just keeps growing and growing - it’s currently sat at 112gb, and has grown through the course of the day.

Attached a view of my iCloud storage and then my iPhone storage.

I know there was an earlier post whereby system data was occupying 400gb of their 1TB of storage.

Apple are chatting BS, there is a problem and this is in no way, normal/expected behaviour.

LuxorLux

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2022
Hey everyone. I’ve had the same issue here and there’s a solution that might work for you. Try to backup your WhatsApp data to iCloud, reinstall the app and reboot your phone. This fixed the issue for me (iPhone 14 Pro 512 GB).

r-winger20

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2022
Hey everyone. I’ve had the same issue here and there’s a solution that might work for you. Try to backup your WhatsApp data to iCloud, reinstall the app and reboot your phone. This fixed the issue for me (iPhone 14 Pro 512 GB).
Can I please double check what are the steps to what you did?

I deleted WhatsApp, hard reset, and then reinstalled the app and restored the iCloud backup but that didn't work...

I also recontacted Apple - they now say they are aware of this issue, something about how some temporary files during restore was miscounted as system files. They asked me to check whether I have any VPN accounts and cloud services other than iCloud active. Then suggested fix was likely to come via an update later...!

Reactions: MAP6664

Conyfers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006

I deleted WhatsApp, hard reset, and then reinstalled the app and restored the iCloud backup but that didn't work...

I also recontacted Apple - they now say they are aware of this issue, something about how some temporary files during restore was miscounted as system files. They asked me to check whether I have any VPN accounts and cloud services other than iCloud active. Then suggested fix was likely to come via an update later...!
I did the same as you and it didn’t work for me either unfortunately… did start cursing Zuckerberg initially though, “knew it would be something to do with that guy”. Shame it wasn’t.

Good news that Apple are aware, and aren’t peddling the “you’re using it wrong line” - I know that’s not what they said but it’s in the same vain 😊 expected behaviour…

LuxorLux

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2022

Sure. 1) WhatsApp-> settings -> chat backup -> backup now; 2) then I deleted the app and reinstalled it; 3) then I rebooted my iPhone clearing system data; 4) then restored my chat history from the iCloud backup.

I also remember switching off iPhone iCloud backup completely via settings -> your Apple ID -> iCloud -> iCloud backup (device backups).

As a reference, there was a similar issue with MacOS, and WhatsApp/iCloud synchronization bug was the reason apparently.

leebroath

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
Sure. 1) WhatsApp-> settings -> chat backup -> backup now; 2) then I deleted the app and reinstalled it; 3) then I rebooted my iPhone clearing system data; 4) then restored my chat history from the iCloud backup.

I also remember switching off iPhone iCloud backup completely via settings -> your Apple ID -> iCloud -> iCloud backup (device backups).

As a reference, there was a similar issue with MacOS, and WhatsApp/iCloud synchronization bug was the reason apparently.

Having the same issue, but these steps worked for me so thank you

Went from using 509 of 512 down to 92 :)

EDIT: This did not work, issue returned :(

4179A668-1147-498D-A9E4-D7C091C06F75.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Charadis
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.