Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Volcano22

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2013
Manchester
I’m experiencing the exact same issue. On my new 512 GB 14 pro I had 298 GB system storage. Hard reset clears it down but it builds up again. I’ll try the WhatsApp fix tomorrow. I initially did the iPhone transfer to setup the new phone. Really hope an update drops soon. I also have the dreaded camera click when opening the camera on Instagram and other 3rd party apps. *sigh*

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
I've been tracking the last few days

19/09 – 9.5GB for iOS, 12.74GB for system data
20/09 – 9.5GB for iOS, 11.95GB for system data
21/09 – 9.5GB for iOS, 14.75GB for system data

Not sure what to make of it.

My Whatsapp iCloud backup is 2.13GB in size...

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
I've been tracking the last few days

19/09 – 9.5GB for iOS, 12.74GB for system data
20/09 – 9.5GB for iOS, 11.95GB for system data
21/09 – 9.5GB for iOS, 14.75GB for system data

Not sure what to make of it.

My Whatsapp iCloud backup is 2.13GB in size...
Something weird is going on, do you shut it down often? My 13 max is only 2.19gb SD, your iOS is about right.

Flyingramses

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2022
80hrs . . . FFS 😡
Same here, I am giving it until Friday and will then return the phone as my 12 Pro is working fine. Contemplating wiping the 14 and then loading backup directly from the 12 rather than cloud, maybe that will work but I am scared to do anything at the moment lol!

Conyfers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Same here, I am giving it until Friday and will then return the phone as my 12 Pro is working fine. Contemplating wiping the 14 and then loading backup directly from the 12 rather than cloud, maybe that will work but I am scared to do anything at the moment lol!
I’ve tried everything, including a back up directly from my previous device and it didn’t help.

Oh the joys.

Nutdog

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2022
Hey, looking for some support.

Received my iPhone 14 Pro Max 256gb yesterday and after 24 hours I’m getting the “iPhone storage full” notification which can’t be true as I’m using 80gb tops.

When I checked the storage in settings, looks like system data is maxing out.

I turned the phone on and off again and it dropped to around 4gb, but it’s growing consistently. After an hour it’s at 65gb, and it’s going to max out again for sure.

Anyone got the same issue? Annoyingly I can’t see what’s driving the usage, or what’s being cached. I have turned off sharing analytics etc, but it’s still building.

Is this a known bug with iOS 16?!
My partners phone (iPhone 14 Pro 256GB) is having the exact same issue since it arrived. Along with Airdrop, soft/blurry photos, battery drain and heat issues. I suspect the heat issues are linked to the storage and battery drain as, if as suspected, the phone is having sync issues with iCloud and downloading etc then the phone is constantly under load.

I’m sitting here with her phone after having just done the 16.0.1 update and no change is apparent. I’m literally sitting here watching the system storage climb 0.5GB every few minutes 🤦🏼‍♂️

I’m about to attempt the WhatsApp solution posted in this thread and will see if that works.

It’s just mind numbing and infuriating how Apple have been addressing this issue and dismissing it. If they would just tell their useless staff to acknowledge and escalate the issue instead of sacking off the customer then it would be a different story but as a result of their handling of this situation, I’ve cancelled my 14 Pro Max order that was due to arrive early October.

Stickywarez

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2022
Hey, looking for some support.

Received my iPhone 14 Pro Max 256gb yesterday and after 24 hours I’m getting the “iPhone storage full” notification which can’t be true as I’m using 80gb tops.

When I checked the storage in settings, looks like system data is maxing out.

I turned the phone on and off again and it dropped to around 4gb, but it’s growing consistently. After an hour it’s at 65gb, and it’s going to max out again for sure.

Anyone got the same issue? Annoyingly I can’t see what’s driving the usage, or what’s being cached. I have turned off sharing analytics etc, but it’s still building.

Is this a known bug with iOS 16?!
Got a fix for this:

1- on wifi let it back up to 256 system data mine is normally 60 Gigabit
2 - restart the phone and immediately disable wifi go onto 4g or 5g
3 - go to Backup and back up the phone using the 4g or 5g - not wifi
4- let backup complete and then turn wifi back on

problem fixed on my phone 14 pro max for the last two days system data normal

Flyingramses

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2022
Got a fix for this:

Hello, would backing up through 4G not use a ton of data? I only have 20GB data plan so although I want to try this I guess it would be best avoided, sorry my technical understanding of this stuff is patchy!

Stickywarez

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2022
Hello, would backing up through 4G not use a ton of data? I only have 20GB data plan so although I want to try this I guess it would be best avoided, sorry my technical understanding of this stuff is patchy!
I do have limited data so your concern is a correct one - has fixed the issue though

leebroath

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
System data has went back up again :(

F1D27047-F156-46EC-B73F-AA1326B9382E.jpeg

leebroath

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
Amazing - be interested to see if it stays like this.

Any chance you can report back in if you see it shift again??

I will try it again, but it didn’t work first time…
It did go back up over night, there must be a bug with the iCloud saving

Anyone else know if Apple are coming out with a fix?

leebroath

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
Got a fix for this:

Trying this fix right now

Back down to System Data used 18.02

See how long this lasts

Reactions: Volcano22

r-winger20

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2022
Sure. 1) WhatsApp-> settings -> chat backup -> backup now; 2) then I deleted the app and reinstalled it; 3) then I rebooted my iPhone clearing system data; 4) then restored my chat history from the iCloud backup.

I also remember switching off iPhone iCloud backup completely via settings -> your Apple ID -> iCloud -> iCloud backup (device backups).

As a reference, there was a similar issue with MacOS, and WhatsApp/iCloud synchronization bug was the reason apparently.
Thanks - haven't worked for me sadly :(

Volcano22

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2013
Manchester
Have you noticed it creeping up previously, throughout the day?
Yes, previously kept creeping up. Went from 19 GB to 40GB then higher and higher. At its max it was 298 GB. Since trying the back up iCloud over data fix mentioned a couple of hours ago it’s gone from 5.21 to 5.5 with normal phone usage. Will continue to monitor and post an update later. 🤞🏽🤞🏽

leebroath

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
Just checked, yes it’s creeping up with me also

Its now at 42.96gb

What on earth is going on, I might just switch off iCloud backup and see if it stops

Volcano22

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2013
Manchester
Yep see post #65

Still didn’t work

I have noticed by switching the Phone off and on again reduces the GB
Same. If I restart phone it’s back down to a small amount. Mine has just gone up from 5 to 60 GB system data but I’ve just turned lossless off and re-downloaded a load of music so going to see if it now reverts back down to 5-6 GB.

kungfujoe98

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2008
London
I’ve had this problem a couple of times in the past including upgrading to an iPhone 14 pro on release day.my work around which I’ll explain as best I can is to sign out of iCloud then go to settings,transfer or reset iPhone then reset,reset all settings let it do its thing.esims are not deleted but asks you to select primary secondary ect,you will notice that all your photos and music are missing but if you wait an hour and then sign back into iCloud they will restore.you will have to re ad any cards for Apple Pay but the information is saved in wallet
This worked for me. 256GB was filling up repeatedly. After doing the above, it’s much more stable, gained only 0.3GB in 5 hours. Can live with that.

Had forgot how many settings I’d changed though so it took a while sorting that, but worth it in my case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.